Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
First boat: Hunter 25?

I can also find a decent Hunter 25 for a fair price, in decent condition. How is the build quality on these? Its a 1979.
Would it be a better bet than a Columbia 22? I'd do coastal sailing, maybe spend weekends overnight on it with one or two people.

I'm in the Northeast US, Boston, so would sail mostly in Maine, Mass, etc.
Thanks
Phillip
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2006

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
I had looked at a Hunter 25 of that vintage for a friend once. The one thing I really liked was the interior layout for weekending. Compared to any 22 footer that would be almost a must if you plan to spend weekends aboard. The downside was that those Hunters had a nickname of "Tupperware" which may indicate how others feel about the build quality, etc...

I will leave it up to someone else to comment on the sailing and structural qualities of this boat but it does seem from your comments that it will be basically inshore. The layout is workable for 3 people weekending. On a 23 foot boat I once owned I would not say the same ...

Mike
Old 06-02-2006
SoME Sailor

rjg23 is on a distinguished road
Similar situation

Seems as though we are in similar situations. I spent the last two months looking at boats in the mid 20's range. Found the Hunter 25 to be far too cramped. Mind you that my wife and I have 3 young children that we're sure are going to love being confined to small space for extended periods of time. Anyway we were looking for much more space. After many trips to numerous boatyards we came across a 1979 Paceship 26. I was absolutely amazed at the amount of space inside, even with an inboard engine. 5 full berths, 6' head room below, marine head, nice size cockpit and room to move topside made it a no brainer. As with the previous reply I can't speak to her sailing characteristics, just went in the water yesterday, so can't comment on that aspect personally. Looking forward to exploring Casco Bay and beyond.

Check out Yachtworld.com, I see there is one available in Boston.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
7tiger... Hunters of that vintage were pretty well built for a production boat and if you find one a good price and in good shape it will be far better for weekending than a 22...and a bit more stable off the coast as well. You might also want to consider a Catalina 25 or 27 of similar vintage as they are in the same range and have a bit more room down below.
Old 06-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A Cape Dory 25 or Ranger 26 might also be good boat choices too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.