Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006

pnaroth is on a distinguished road
Cool Buying: C&C, Hunter, Chance, Paceship--HELP!

Odd is it may sound, we are FORCED to buy a boat within the next two
weeks... Don't ask. Our local broker has a 1979 C&C 27 and a 1980
Hunter 27 that have all of the features we want. The thing is, money.
The Hunter is listed just under $9000, and the C&C is about $16(,000)
and change. We can afford both. Both boats have an inboard, wheel
steering, full marine head, and furling; these are our main selling
points. We are cruisers, but don't like to be the last one to the
anchorage. We will be sailing inland, no trailering, and maybe the
great lakes as the kids get older.
Another broker has a 1973 Chance 30/30, a 1976 Islander 28, a 1970
Paceship 29 and a 1974 C&C 30. We are driving to see these boats next
weekend. The Chance I am told is an all out speed boat with cruiser
trimmings, and is thier best "deal", at just under $14K. The C&C 30 is
the "best boat" of their four at $15K. The Islander 28 is a decent
boat I am told, and the Paceship is the least expensive ($7K) and
oldest boat (1970).
The people I've talked to say the C&C is "The Boat", I just want to
know, is it really worth the extra money? Or, are my brokers blowing
smoke up my you know what? Any comments or constructive critsism will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You have to remember, calling one or the other the "best" boat, assumes all are in equal condition. Given that all have the "things" you want on them, then the question is....which one is in the best shape, and is the best value for the money.

Speed is somewhat relative, as it isn't always the "fastest" boat, that comes in first, but the one that is sailed the fastest. So if cruising is your main goal, then that is what should be at the top of the list. After all, you want to enjoy your time on the water, not suffer through it.

I'll leave it to others to be more specific about the individual boats you mentioned, as I can only comment with what I have heard, not any actual experience with any of them.

Regards

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Although I haven't owned one in a number of years I remain a big fan of C&C, for solid racer/cruiser coastal use. I consider my old '76 C&C 30 as the favorite of my half dozen boats. I would say that C&C had better construction, and much better design, than the boats you mentioned. You can scan this board for old comments on the 30, or peruse the C&C board http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/ They have a very active email group.

The 30 was noted as perhaps the stiffest model C&C ever made, leading to a boat that when better and better the more the wind blew...

As to the "best deal", understand that the most you can hope in buying a boat is to actually get what you pay for... for everyone who gets what they pay for, a half dozen buyers buys someone else's boat of problems that end up costing far more than they expected. Listen to the brokers with a grain of salt, then get a good (expensive) survey on your choice,
As to price, you are more likely to come out ahead financially if you pay a premium for a boat that has been well equipped and maintained. Sellers of such boats only get back perhaps a half or less of what they may have put into them...

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2006

brmn54 is on a distinguished road
boat buying

I have owned two C&Cs loved them both. I have owned a total of 5 sail boats and the C&C are the best quality of all that I have owned (in my option) The current boat is a C&C 35 mk III. The other writer is correct, the difference in boat speed is how much you want to pay attention to how she is sailing. If Iím chatting away and not looking at sails a lot of slower boats can pass me up. There is a great book called Practical Sailors: Practical Boat Buying vol 1&2. It tells you a lot of things about a lot of common boats (good and Bad). For the size boat you are looking for Vol. 1 would be your choice. Also check the book value of boats and keep their condition and how good the sails are. Before I got the Hunter 27, I would look at the Catalina 27 try to get one that has been converted to diesel. They are a real steal, and they are ok to sail. I picked up one a few years ago for $5,000. In great shape. One more piece of advice, try not to buy one in the summer, I like looking in the dead of winter.. good luck and fair winds. Larry
Old 06-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the C&C, as they generally have a higher level of construction than the Hunters. The Islander 28 is also a good choice IMHO, as I have several friends who have them and love them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-04-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
All other things being equal (condition, equipment aboard, etc.) the C&C is probably the better bet. Part of the reason it's priced higher is that C&Cs generally have better resale value long term, and if you buy one you can reap those benefits later when the often inevitable move to go bigger comes along. That vintage C&C still carries a good reputation, there are a great many here on the West Coast. Good Canadian quality and value!
Old 06-05-2006

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Adam

I am familiar with C&C 27 mark III (that is 1979 model). It is a nice sailing vessel, has a decent interior, is built well but is considered tender. If you love a responsive boat and do not mind reefing ocassionally this is a great boat.

I am also very familiar with the C&C 30 mark 1 (the vessel you are considering). These boats are just as well built as the C&C 27 but are considered stiff. Probably better for cruising than the 27 and usually more that $10K more. I thik this is the boat you should consider.

To my knowledge Paceship made 2 different 29 footers. There was the Northwind 29 that was an earlier model and the P-29 which was produced lete 70s. The Northwind is dated compared to the C&C 27 & 30.

Typical prices in CDN $$$ for Northwind is 15000, C&C 27-3 is 23000, C&C 30 34000+

Not too sure about the other models. The C&C 30 at that price is a good bet if it is a sound vessel.

Mike
Full Tilt 2
Old 06-05-2006

karius is on a distinguished road
Read this page on Hunter from the early years:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/hunter28.htm
Old 06-06-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
PnaRoth...I tend to agree with the C&C30 recommendation provided it is in good shape. Above all..I would urge that you have a survey done on any boat you make an offer on...especially those of this vintage. Every survey I've ever had done (7 boats!) has found stuff I was not aware of and SAVED me more than the cost of the survey in owner price reductions. Surveyors are not perfect...but they are wothwhile IMHO.
Old 06-06-2006

jreidy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up c&c

Spent two years looking at everything that floats. After all the research and testing we went with a 1988 c&c 30 mkII. You could not ask for a better made boat . All the comforts of bigger boats with the speed to be a contender on those Weds night races.
C&C has a great reputation for a reason, they are great all round boats. For that you will pay alittle more for them but it is money very well spent.
Happy hunting....