Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007

ahemingway75 is on a distinguished road
I have a 1982 Hunter 25' which I race/cruise and love. Fast, solid boat! However, nobody could pay me to own a new Hunter 25'. Poor construction and more for a housewife to putter around in.

Two great questions! I myself just bought a Mercury 9.9. This is PLENTY of engine. I almost went 6hp, but if you are caught in a storm you will want that little extra. Do not go any higher! The dry weight is 93lbs. My old 9.9 was 78...I believe. I was a little concerned to I put new bolts/lock nuts along with very large washers, along with another set of washers to offset the weight (Hunter only puts 4 bolts with 4 little washers. I was totally not comfortable with this.) The only problem is there is a gas tank shelf and you have squeeze between into the bilge to get to the lower two bolts. It was very uncomfortable to do, but my mind is totally at ease now. I also made a new engine mount out of 3 pieces of 3/4" oak ply (gorilla glued it, sanded and varnished it with 3 coats of man-o-war high gloss. Looks great!

Now...more important, the crack in the keel. It is normal to have what may look like a seperation. The question is, are there water stains that look like leaks? If not you might be halfway home. Second, go onboard and lift up the bilge board in the main salon. You will see, I believe 4 keel bolts. If they are rusted to hell then move on to your next possible purchase. Otherwise, throw a coat of ablative paint and set sail. You might notice that water will fill that bilge where the keel bolts are. Don't worry, that is normal. That is coming from the percperation or other areas of the boat, but settles there because it is the lowest point of the hull.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Perhaps the OP has resolved his issues, one way or another, given that his post was nearly 10 months ago, and there was no further discussion.
Old 04-30-2008

Gralex is on a distinguished road
Sure the post might be a bit old, but I am asking myself the very same question right now and the discussion was still useful. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009

cdwig40 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=bdevries;63700]I went out to a marina to look at a 1978 Hunter 25 and absolutely loved it. The boat seems to be in amazing condition but has two things I am not sure how to handle:

There is no engine - Can anyone provide any links or advice about what horsepower outboard would be the minimum on a boat like this?

There is a crack in the paint all the way around the top of the keel where the metal and fiberglass meet. It seems like this would be normal - but I would feel alot more at ease to have some way to back up that assumption.

Any advice on these issues or Hunter 25s in general would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

cdwig40 I owned a 78 Hunter 25 and loved it. The engine that came with it was a 6 hp Evenrude long shaft. Plenty of power and easy on fuel. I think you will be happy with it.
Old 05-11-2009
Rail Meat

JewelledJester is on a distinguished road
We pushed a 25ft Coronado around all last summer with a new merc 9.9 4 stroke. Didn't have any problems, and that was with the stock prop, I did however purchase a new prop that had less pitch but never put it on. Since a Hunter 320 was purchased this spring, I now have a new merc. prop for cheap.
Old 05-11-2009
Rail Meat

JewelledJester is on a distinguished road
also just to let you know watch the post date in the upper left side of the post, most of this discussion happened two years ago. Good luck with your motor search