Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago

kjones is on a distinguished road
Help the "new generation" pick a cruising boat

Sailnetters,

I've been reading Sailnet often over the past four years and have post every so often. I'm here now to ask the denizens of Sailnet for advice on a boat purchase for extended cruising. I asked this same question in the "New Generation" thread a bit ago but the topic needs its own thread so here it goes!

Background:
I'm 26 and have enjoyed immensely cruising my Pearson 26 around the Chesapeake for the past three years. I've done a few of week-long cruises and many a long weekend/overnight during that time including a DelMarva circumnavigation.

Myself and two of my friends (all mid/late-20s young professionals) have been saving diligently are looking for the right boat for a 2-3 year cruising trip/haitus from the working world starting in Fall 2015 or 2016. We're aiming for a circumnavigation.

I've been looking at this Tayana 37 but it has 90% of the bungs missing from the teak decks (just side decks) - although at a steal (potentially?) at a 35k asking price if we do the work.

If possible we'd like to spend under 40k. We're looking for the smallest, simplest, and of course, sturdiest, vessel we can find. So what say ye Sailnet? What's a good vessel for this trip?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the length!
Old 1 Week Ago
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Help the "new generation" pick a cruising boat

Surprisingly there are a lot of candidates in your area. Here's a YW search to $30K leaving you room for upgrades. 104 hits!!

(Sail) Cruiser Boats For Sale

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 1 Week Ago
Land lubber

ianjoub is on a distinguished road

For Smack....

Be sure to get a production bluewater coastal cruiser meant for rough seas, nothing else is safe!
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 1 Week Ago
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
For Smack....

Be sure to get a production bluewater coastal cruiser meant for rough seas, nothing else is safe!
Troublemaker!!

As to the list posted above, most will not be considered long distance cruisers but there are a couple of gems in that crowd.. I'm once again surprised at how much boat one can get these days for little money...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 1 Week Ago

kjones is on a distinguished road

Thanks Faster. I've certainly been looking through Yachworld, craigslist, sailboat listings ect. I suppose the question is, of those within the budget, which are the most suitable? I've mostly been looking at traditional full keel boats (many of which are also double-enders). It was originally just going to be two people so we were looking at Southern Cross 31s, CD 30s, Bayfield 32s, Westsails (when priced right) and the like.

I'm less familiar with which boats are most suitable in the 37+ ft range which is what I imagine (though could be mistaken) would the minimum size for 3 people.
Old 1 Week Ago

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you will invoke a lively discussion about your focus on traditional full-keelers. I'll say two quick things, and make a biased suggestion:

#1. I applaud you on your choice. There are many excellent "traditional" boats (whatever that means) to be had which are very good sailboats and excellent cruisers. These boats are, as a general rule, solid, well designed, and beautiful. If they make your heart beat a little faster, then you have an excellent eye. Get one.

#2. There is absolutely nothing wrong with many modern designed boats. There are many "modern" boats (whatever that means) that are excellent cruisers. Most are superior sailors (although I really should be defining these terms). Until you've had some experience with a number of boats, I recommend NOT locking into one design concept.

#3. Look for a Rafiki-37. I only say this b/c it is the best boat ever built for a short-handed cruiser, and that's my completely biased opinion .

Seriously, there are tons of boats to consider. Here's a list of Cruising World's top 40 cruising boats as picked by contributors: People?s Choice of Best Cruising Sailboats | Cruising World (Rafiki didn't even make it ). Another site has pretty pictures to accompany their list: Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org (again, no Rafiki ... how can this be ).

Ask 12 online cruisers about anything and you'll get at least 23 opinions. I'd strongly suggest getting some real experience before making any firm decisions about design.

... and then buy a Rafiki-37 if you can find one .
Faster and christian.hess like this.
Old 1 Week Ago
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Macgregor 26x.... make sure to use a bluewater bucket.
bobperry and Mr. Bubs like this.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Old 1 Week Ago
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

"I'm aiming for a circumnavigation and want a cheap, small, simple, sturdy boat. I've been reading the forum for years."

Wonder if you are going to get any new answers :rolleyes
Old 1 Week Ago
El Chupa Nibre

Mr. Bubs is on a distinguished road

Old 1 Week Ago
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Here's another listing of "blue water" boats:

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

In the end the only thing a question like this can give you is a list of boats. What makes a good cruising boat for me isn't necessarily what you'd want. But that difference of opinion doesn't make the boat itself any less capable.

We've now settled on our Next Boat but only after lots of research, reading blogs of people who sail the same boat, reviewing the specs, matching up our list of Wants, Needs, and Nice to Haves, and getting on one.
MikeOReilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 1 Week Ago at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.