Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By killarney_sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2014

Blaydeman is on a distinguished road
Centurion 42 vs Lafitte 44

This post should be prefaced by saying that my sailing experience is limited to a week aboard a Beneteau 423 to get my ASA 101, 103 and 104. I am not new to boating as I have been on commercial fishing boats most of my life. But I fell in love with sailing and want to have a (sail) boat that I can live and grow on.

What I am looking for is the pros and cons of these two boats. The plan is to liveaboard full time and eventually sail the world, hopefully ending up in either the Mediterranean or the Caribbean. I can find article after article on each but would like a detailed head to head from more experienced minds than my own. I've scoured the board and they both seem very capable. I am just wondering what I may have missed or if there is a reason I should look more closely at one and why.

Last edited by Blaydeman; 10-24-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Wauquiez 42 vs Lafitte 44

I think the reality is that there are quite a few boats that would be suitable for what you want to do. The two you mention are good boats but there are a lot of others so I would be building an extensive list at this point and working from that. Once you know what characteristics you want in a boat it becomes a matter of condition of the particular boat, the price, and what pulls at the heart strings.
Faster likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 10-24-2014

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Ah ha, the heart strings. I know a lifelong sailor, former sea going freight bridge crew, went looking for a project, surveyor and mechanic said "DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT", but he was already writing the check. He has written many, many checks since. Heed seasoned advice and proceed with caution.
Old 10-25-2014

southbound is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I think the reality is that there are quite a few boats that would be suitable for what you want to do. The two you mention are good boats but there are a lot of others so I would be building an extensive list at this point and working from that. Once you know what characteristics you want in a boat it becomes a matter of condition of the particular boat, the price, and what pulls at the heart strings.
Well said. Instead of deciding what particular model you are going to buy, decide what particular features you need, and then look around to see what available boats meet those needs. And be happy to pay significantly more for a boat that's been kept up. Projects rarely turn out to be deals.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.