Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Looking at some 27 to 30 footers

I am moving up to a larger boat from my 19' Flying Scot daysailer and have been looking at what is available in my area. I plan on sailing Lake Erie so I thought something in the 27 to 30 foot range would be a good step up. I have looked at the Catalina 27 and 30, Tartan 27, Pearson 28 and Sabre 28. I know that I will need to get a surveyor involved before closing the deal, but does anybody have any experience or knowledge about these boats? I don't plan on racing, just doing some comfortable cruising around the Erie islands. These boats are all used, varying in age from 18 to 30 years old. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2006
Just a Member

Oops... the Trtan 27 is 40 years old. Are there any suggestions for other boats, outside of these? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of what boat will be recommended has to do with what type of sailing you are interested in. There are plenty of boats out there that might be of interest to you, but not really suitable for the type of sailing you want to do.

Are you planning on just day sailing on Lake Erie, or do you think you might want to cross Lake Erie. Day sailing is one thing, coastal cruising another, and crossing Lake Erie is pretty much blue-water sailing, as the Great Lakes are effectively inland seas in size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-15-2006
Just a Member

Primarily day sailing but I also may want to spend a couple of days coastal cruising. I definitely won't live aboard or use the boat for any extended trips. Just want some relaxing sailing to relieve stress. I also will be looking at a C&C 26 (1978) this week-end. I have heard conflicting reports on quality with the C&C's. Does it vary with the model and when they were built? Thanks for any input.

Mike
Old 06-15-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
As far as C&Cs go , I think the 70s and early 80s boats were very robust for the most part. I would think the possibly suspect ones were those built in the late 80s/early 90s when they were going through financial difficulties. I know of one 87 C&C 30 that had some serious bulkhead issues, and looked at an 82 34 that seemed excessively flexible at the hull/deck joint but other than those, to my knowledge most owners are very positive about their boats, and there are many 30+ years old and still going strong.

The resale value of well-kept C&Cs is always a cut above the other "generic" brands routinely on the block, so that's a down-the-road advantage as well.
Old 06-20-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
You can't go wrong with any of the boats you've mentioned. The Catalina 30 is a really roomy boat compared to the others. I've owned a Catalina 27, and loved it, as well as the C&C...
Its been said before, as long as all of these boats are in good shape, (AND GET A SURVEY!!!!) it's personal preference, and the gear thats included. (I'd go for the size)
Old 06-23-2006

sailboatcnc is on a distinguished road
I started with a sunfish, C&C 25, 30 and now a 35. The 25 was too small to stand up in. Otherwise it would sail.

Don't get a boat thats too small and then just have to sell it or give up cause your not comfortable.

I should have bought the 35 right off..

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2006

owlmtn is on a distinguished road
We started with 25 footers. we didn't rreally know enough about sailing to even know what kind of boat we eventually wanted. If we had immediately gone to a 30 footer we wouldn't have ended up with the boat we did (tartan 30). A 25 to 27 footer can be had relatively cheap, will be alittle more forgiving in docking and other maneuvers, and will teach you what you want in a boat or more importantly what you don't want. As you learn to sail you'll likely be changing your views on sailing and what you want from it.
We sailed a C&C 25 for 3 years. It's a tough, nice sailing little boat. It did leave a lot to be desired down below, but that boat taught us a lot. Good luck, Jim L
Old 06-23-2006

KenD is on a distinguished road
What to buy

Even though a lot of folks look down thier noses at Hunters I like the late 70's and early 80's Cherribeni design 27 to 34 foot they all have standing room down below and are built reasonably well for coastal crusing,Opinions are like bellybuttons everyone has one.I still can't spell the guys name.
Old 06-23-2006

toastchee is on a distinguished road
I certainly don't look down at Hunters! Luv Em.