Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006

pluscard is on a distinguished road
Cal vs Catalina vs Hunter, etc...

Ok, I'm probably asking a lot, but I'm trying to get familar with the cruisers, and I don't quite have a handle on all the models. There are many new Hunters including 26, 32.6, 36 and up at my dock on Kerr Lake. Obviously I've seen a number of Catalinas as well, certainly beautiful boats.

I'm less familar with the Cal boats - and what I'm looking for is a very general description of how these boats contrast each other.

I'm a J/24 sailor, and I like the speed of course, but my wife hates it at this point, and I'm looking for something the extended family can enjoy, so I'd need something more comfortable.

Anyone up for taking a stab at dissecting the differences between these manufacturers and what their design goals may have been?

Regards,
Plus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2006
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
You can find a lot of information about various models at www.sailboatowners.com, www.catalinaowners.com, and www.hunterowners.com. Read the owner reviews and compare model specs.
Old 06-22-2006

KenD is on a distinguished road
Cal/Cat/Hunt

The Hunter,and Catalina are still in production,and you can still get parts from the O.E. If you are looking new,or slightly used you can't go wrong, "boat for the buck",with either,the Cat is a bit more expensive,but might hold value better.Both have nice,almost lavish interior layouts,plenty of room to find a place to pout if you can't have your way.All three sail well,As for me if I wanted to go fast, I would buy a powerboat.I suppose speed is relative.Good luck and fair winds on your search.
Old 06-29-2006
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Wink Cal vs. Hunter vs. Catalina

For used boats, either Cal or Catalina - favoring Cal over Cat. Cal had better built boats in their past years of production. Newer models would favor Catalina
over Hunter. Used boats will give you more for your dollars spent over new. I would prefer a good sailing Cal over the other two. Just depends whether you want used or new. And if you prefer used, how old will you go. All sailboats will require upkeep and eventual upgrades. Many of those upgrades will already be made for you if you buy used, but buy wisely. Ask the owner lots of questions on his boat's upkeep and maintennace performed.
Good sailing.