Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006

olechka is on a distinguished road
28' for coastal trips

Can a 28’ Catalina or Beneteau make a coastal trip to Maine/Nova Scotia from Long Island sound (NY)?

Considering into buying any of those two boats (max 10 year old), but after going over several newsgroups and forums I have doubts about the ability of those boats for week long (or little more) trips, as they are mostly suggested as day/weekender sailboats.

Mostly concerned about the structural ability, safety and seaworthiness of those boats for such coastal trips (assuming that we will be stopping for daily/overnight anchors or transient slips/moorings for provisioning along the way)

Would your answer be any different for a 31’ Catalina or Beneteau? Any major advantages for such trips for an extra 3’ in LOA?

Disclaimer I am fairly inexperienced in sailing and would not attempt a long trip until I am confident about my sailing skills and proper weather, but when time comes I don’t want my boat (yet to buy) to be a limiting factor, and that is the only reason I am concerned with such questions at this time.

I know that there are several 28' to 31' boats out there that have no problem with long coastal trips but how about the Catalinas and Beneteaus?

Thanks a lot, and I appreciate any comments.
--Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2006

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Seakindly boats

I think Jeff H said it the best in the Previous Topic: seakindly boats vs the rest.

Interesting related story:

My friend a few weeks ago left for Bermuda on a 27 footer from North Carolina. His rudder broke in moderate seas after 2 days out ( corrosion ,too many years at the dock) and after drifting,running out of fuel for his outboard( Luckily a tanker stopped ) then trying to make it back to the USA and being overcome by the Gulf Stream he got towed in.

Myself I learned from his experiance to check out the rudders condition.
I think that losing a rudder probably the toughest thing to overcome.

I did 8000 miles on a Cal 33 to Trinidad starting in Michigan and Luckily
we never had any problems..........Personally I like heavy deep keels
and tall rigs. Catalinas and Benateau's are pretty tender. However if
thats all you got........definatly go and have fun!!!!

Any boat will do it......on some it will just be a rougher trip.

clcjr54@hotmail.com
Old 06-18-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mike...I would not hesitate to buy either at Cat or Ben28 for the plans you have. This is the type of easy coastal sailing they were made for...short coastal hops with little or no overnight passages at sea. Personally, I like the Cat30 for the room...but you will not find a heck of a lot of difference at sea. The main thing to remember is never to leave port on an iffy weather forecast and don't get yourself in a position where you HAVE to be somewhere by a certain date. Let the weather rule and you will enjoy yourself and have easy passages and lots of fun.
I would further suggest that once you have your boat, you get a liferaft and Epirb before you get the fancy stuff for the cockpit! Then you can go offshore with some confidence that the worst thing that can happen is an insurance claim!
Old 06-18-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The fact of the matter is that most boats, including the types you are considering are generally capable of withstanding more than many crews. Condition, age and preparedness (of the boat) all count, but no more than the same qualities of the crew (with the possible exception of age.... don't want to count myself out!)
As suggested above, using common sense and not being tied to a strict schedule helps a lot. Taking advantage of today's mostly improved marine weather services is also a good idea.
The odd overnight hop will add greatly to your experience and pleasure. There's nothing quite like watching the moon set deep orange on one side as the sun brightens the opposite horizon!
Go for it. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most boats are far more durable than the sailors who sail them. A good example is the sailor rescued from his catamaran off of Mexico. The boat was still afloat over a month later.

Sailing to a schedule is generally a horrible idea. There are many boats that can make a trip, like the one your proposing, but a bigger concern for me is your lack of experience. I would work on building up your experience, and take a ASA cruising course, as a foundation for your trip.

An EPIRB is an excellent idea. I have one for my boat.

A boat out of Newport, RI, en route to England, was recently reported lost at sea, with four people aboard. The Coast Guard was alerted via phone call, as the boat did not have an EPIRB, and thus far neither the boat or any people have been found. A life raft is a good idea, if the boat you are on is likely to sink if holed. Some monohulls, and most multihulls, have a very good chance of staying afloat, even if holed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
These are personal opinions nothing more....

rather than the 28 ft option, I'd go for nothing less than 30. The catalina 30 is a long term, good coastal boat, for not a lot of money.

The Bene's, while very pretty, in MY OPINION might not be as "rugged" as the Cat. Yes, I know, many race wins, may trans-atlantics, blah, blah, blah. like I said, my opinion.

All of that aside, look for an Island Packet, or Irwin, rr Pearson, all in the 30 ft range. you'll like the beam on ALL of these boats over the 28, and yes, the 4 inches between a 28 and a 30 makes a big difference. (to me)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.