Chris Craft Sailboat Question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-13-2014 Thread Starter

Chris Craft Sailboat Question

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1964 Chris Craft sail yacht 35 but have not seen it in person as of yet. Doing some research on the boat and having seen a few poorly taken pictures, I am confused about the deck. The deck certainly appears to be wood but I can't find anything online to confirm this. Any insight that you may add would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hwtice386; 11-13-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-13-2014
Dragon Mod

Dock
Re: Chris Craft Sail Yacht

Moving this into its own thread so it doesn't get lost.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #3 of 17 Old 11-13-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: Chris Craft Sailboat Question

I don't know about the 35 but I looked fairly seriously at a 42 many years ago and I am pretty sure it had a glass deck but might have had plywood core in places. Good, old S&S design and seemed to be well built. Of course these boats are very old now so you would want to check out the condition thoroughly.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
The Following User Says Thank You to killarney_sailor For This Useful Post:
hwtice386 (11-13-2014)
post #4 of 17 Old 11-13-2014

All the Chris Craft sailboats I've seen around here (and there's quite a few as they were built about 30 miles down the road in Holland, MI) appeared to have a glass deck and house. Looking at the photos on Google, I don't remember ever seeing the 35 center cockpit in person. Those bright finished cabin sides sure do look like a wood deck and house. I have seen wood inlayed into a glass cabin to give it that appearance, but I don't know if anyone would have been doing that in 1964.

On a 50 year old boat, however, I think the care the boat was given would be more important than the original construction material. You could have a poorly maintained glass deck with a mushy, delaminated core or a well maintained wood deck still in perfect condition. One of the advantages of wood is any damage that does occur can be easier to repair without leaving any trace. Core rot and delamination in glass sneaks up on you and by time it shows itself it's catastrophic. The only way to tell is to inspect the boat and better yet have it surveyed. I wouldn't dismiss the boat just because the deck may be wood without checking it out first.

Last edited by capt jgwinks; 11-13-2014 at 06:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jgwinks For This Useful Post:
hwtice386 (11-14-2014)
post #5 of 17 Old 11-13-2014

There was a boat like that for sale here: 1963 Chris Craft Sail Yacht sailboat for sale in Virginia
It sure does look like the deck is wood. As previous posters said, it is all about the actual condition. Wood decks are very fixable but it can be a big job. I would first take a very close look at it myself, and if still interested, got a survey done.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
hwtice386 (11-14-2014)
post #6 of 17 Old 11-13-2014 Thread Starter

I wish to Thank everyone for their assistance and knowledge. I will most definitely have a full survey completed prior to purchase. I won't be able to inspect the boat for another month or so but wanted to gain as much information pertaining to possible repair and maintenance. Any first hand knowledge of the CC35 sail yacht is appreciated. Take care and thanks again!
post #7 of 17 Old 11-13-2014

I recall a 37 Apache I saw in WI that had glass decks with wood-like appearance molded into the glass. I don't know about the core material.
-CH
The Following User Says Thank You to Chas H For This Useful Post:
hwtice386 (11-14-2014)
post #8 of 17 Old 11-14-2014 Thread Starter

Thank You Chaz H. A few articles hinted to that being a possibility. I don't mind the fiberglass/wood embossed deck but wonder how in the world I would be able to sand it good enough for sealer(if needed), primer and paint. Anyway, Thanks again for your help.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-14-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

You don't need to sand it smooth to pain. You just need to prepare the surface to accept the paint. Either a very light sand (you want the pattern for non-skid) or a chemical prep. if there are a lot of repairs needed to the deck you would be best off sanding the pattern off and adding your own non-skid material (several options and not hard to do).

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
The Following User Says Thank You to killarney_sailor For This Useful Post:
hwtice386 (11-14-2014)
post #10 of 17 Old 11-14-2014 Thread Starter

Chemical Prep! I have always prepared surfaces for finishing by sanding. I knew liquid sanding chems were out there but never had any experience with them. Can you expect the same primer adhesion via chem prep as you would a full sanding? If so, that would be perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.