Performance question - '80 Hunter Cherubini 37 cutter vs '82 Morgan 382 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-16-2014 Thread Starter

Performance question - '80 Hunter Cherubini 37 cutter vs '82 Morgan 382

Have a question for you salty folks with experience in both of these boats. I've been on both of them tied up at the dock, read as many articles and reviews as I can find, and have looked at the statics (SA/Disp, PHRF, Disp/length), etc.

For the next few years I'll mostly be day sailing and weekends, including long weekends, but no extended cruising for now. I had been considering a little shorter boats with good performance (eg. Cal 31 with SA/Disp = 17.95).

For the Hunter, I've read that an advantage is flexible sail plan, especially in heavier winds, but that it doesn't point as well and doesn't do as well in light winds. I have been told the PHRF is around 162 for this, SA/Disp is listed on sailboatdata as 16.73 based on listed SA, but 15.29 based on calculated SA).

For the Morgan, I've been told PHRF is around 138, SA/Disp is 16.2. I've been told that it points well, does well in light wind, and performs well.

So, I can go by numbers, but I'd like to know if anyone has experience with both, and how they would compare on things like pointing, light wind, overall speed/performance, and weather helm.

And, another question, and this is probably my main question - with the cutter rig on the Hunter, given that I'll be doing more coastal day/weekend sailing off the North Carolina coast, I would consider removing the staysail stay (attaching it elsewhere temporarliy) and running a 135-145 genoa instead of the yankee. My hope would be that this would help improve the pointing and light wind performance, though maybe hull design might still be limiting. Thoughts?

The reason that I'm asking is that I like the cabin design of the Hunter a little more than the Morgan - better V-berth, better after cabin (rather than just quarter berth on the Morgan).

Ok, for anyone who has read this far - thanks! And, thanks in advance for any input on any of these ideas - performance of these two boats, and performance with sail modification on the Hunter.

Happy sailing!

Last edited by Silverton10; 11-16-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-16-2014

Re: Performance question - '80 Hunter Cherubini 37 cutter vs '82 Morgan 382

I like Morgan 382 better as I think it is a better design and better made boat. But I'm not sure you need such a big boat for what you want to do. How many people will sail with you?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 15 Old 11-16-2014 Thread Starter

Krisscross,

Thanks for your reply. You're right, the boat is a lot more than I'd need for the most part, and the one I'm looking out is completely decked out for extended cruising, which is also overkill for now. Number of crew will range from me single handing some of the time to up to about 6 at a time. Weekends will probably be about 4. In a few years I'll have more freedom for extended trips. My initial plan was to buy a smaller boat for the interim and then upgrade if needed. But I've found these two in the price range I've been looking for the 30-31', so, they're on the table also.

One reason I'm looking at the larger ones is for cabin head room. I'm 6'2". I was just on a Cal 31, and had to duck a little. I've been on 30' and 31' Pearson, Newport, Yamaha. The first two have better head room, but don't seem to perform quite as well from what I've read and heard, though I know they are good solid boats. I am pretty sure that I'd enjoy the performance aspect, and would be frustrated by a boat that got along OK, but that would be limited. Though I'm fairly new to sailing, I have found that I do enjoy the challenge of trimming and adjusting to maximize speed, performance, etc.

With the headroom, in addition to weekend sails, although I won't do a permanent live aboard now, I will potentially be spending some nights aboard, as the boat will be close to work, and otherwise I have an hour commute.

Last edited by Silverton10; 11-16-2014 at 08:07 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-16-2014 Thread Starter

I should probably put it as a separate post, but I'm really curious about possible impact/performance improvement of running a genoa on the Hunter with the staysail stay out of the way, instead of running it in cutter (dual headsail sloop for traditionalists) setup with a yankee and staysail.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-16-2014
Just another Moderator

Many so-called cutters are run this way.. The only thing is tacking a Genoa around and past the inner stay can be problematic. In many cases I believe the Genoa is partially furled to avoid some of the drag and hassle of getting the full sail through the foretriangle.

However with some forethought and careful sail selection it can mean you have a decent light-to-moderate sail on the head stay and a good heavy air jib/staysail on the inner. Balanced up with a reefer main the various combos can work well.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 15 Old 11-16-2014 Thread Starter

There was an excellent post on SN about tacking a cutter, and I learned a lot. From that, and others, I got the idea of having a removable inner stay. I was thinking of just running it this way most of the time for my day sails, depending on weather etc. If I had a removable staysail stay out of the way, no staysail, just running a genoa (would tack easily with the inner stay out of the way), would this improv pointing on the Hunter, or is pointing limited by other factors (main sail size, hull configuration, etc)? Thanks.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-16-2014

the Cherubini has the shrouds mounted at the gunnel so a big genoa would point worse then the two jibs. you won't be able to run the sail inside the life lines and if it is on the outside of the bow pulpit the sail will need to be cut very high to clear. this is not going to be a performance boat no matter how you rig it. the Morgan will sail circles around the hunter. when the wind is light the morgan will go the hunter will seem like you have run ground.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
Silverton10 (11-16-2014)
post #8 of 15 Old 11-16-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks overbored - that's exactly that input I was looking for. Greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-17-2014

Morgan 382 would be a nice boat for a crew of 4 to spend weekends on. If the boat surveys well and the price is right for you, I would say go for it. It is a boat with serious cruising potential that also sails well. And if you decide to cruise for longer periods of time, it can be made quite comfortable, even if you are not too crazy about the internal layout.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 15 Old 11-17-2014
Learning the HARD way...

I have NOT been on the Morgan, but have experience with the Cherubini Hunter 37.

Quote:
For the next few years I'll mostly be day sailing and weekends, including long weekends, but no extended cruising for now. I had been considering a little shorter boats with good performance
I would rule out the Hunter for this kind of use. The Hunter is built like a tank, and it handles like one. With the displacement of 17,800lbs empty, there is a LOT of momentum in this VERY heavy hull. Under power it accelerates at a glacial pace, and once moving, it does not like to stop. You will probably find docking unnecessarily "exciting" on this boat.

Don't get me wrong; the cutter rig is great for cruising, and, as overbored points out, it should point better with the cutter rig than with a genoa. The displacement would make riding out a storm in the North Atlantic, like sitting on a pond. However, from what you state you are looking for, this is not the boat for you.

I suggest that you look at your cruising plans honestly, and select a boat that was designed to meet those needs.

BTW - DeniseO30 has a nice O'day 30 for sale in MD for FAR less than your budget. I believe that you could start with a boat like that. If it lacks for anything in your or your crew's estimation, you could sell it at a loss, and still come out ahead.

Another option would be the relatively common CAL 33. If you insist on an aft cabin, the 1985-1989 Pearson 33-2 would be a great choice.
Faster and jimgo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
hunter 37 , modify cutter , morgan 382 , performance

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.