Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2001

coline is on a distinguished road
Macgregor 19 or 26x

I live in the UK and I''m a single hander dinghy sailor whose age and girth is making getting under the boom harder and harder.....so a 26x is it any good for safe uk coastal sailing/Trip to france? (I have two kids 6 and 9 and a non -sailing but understanding wife...I hope!). Is a second hand boat better than new for a first timer...Anyone any thoughts?
Anyone willing to take me out for a tryout?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2001
JeffH

Macgregor 19 or 26x

The 26X is not my idea of a boat in which I would take "two kids 6 and 9 and a non -sailing but understanding wife" to cross the British Channel. While there are clearly 26X owners who vociferously love their boats and think they are fine for almost anything, observing them underway and talking to past owners I would say these are not up the frequently heavy conditions found in the Channel. These are boats that are built to be inexpensive and for a very specific kind of useage, and boating in the often volitile and rugged conditions of offshore Britain is not the kind of useage that I suspect the builder had in mind.

Regards
Jeff
Old 07-22-2001

Macgregor 19 or 26x

HUMM! interesting, when I search the message boards about 26x''s, other people seem to use them for just about everthing and going eveywhere. I am basically a fine weather sailor but **** happens and I can see the trade off between average sailing and a fast engine to get you out of trouble as worth it?
What other options are out there?? Jeff, anyone?
Cheers Colin
Old 07-27-2001

decodent is on a distinguished road
Macgregor 19 or 26x

re: MacGregor 26x

Coline ...

For what you''re talking about, I think you''d be pressing your luck. I''ve been looking pretty seriously at the MacGregor 26. It fits a lot of needs for me for the next 5-7 years, specifically:

* Trailerable behind a Toyota Previa minivan
* Hauls butt with a 50hp outboard
* Reasonably cheap
* good enough to be a liveaboard 3-4 days/week for a single person
* It sails
* Looks like it''s probably minimal maintenance ...

That being said however, I would highly suggest that you heed Jeff''s advice on this one. I''ve read several of his responses throughout this site. He knows his stuff. Heck, if he knew as much about computers as he does about sailboats, he''d be a bonafide geek. His knowledge base seems to be wide and deep.

The Channel gets rough seas, and you might find the MacGregor not quite up to the task. If it were just you, that''d be one thing. But to take a chance with your kids ... think that one through before you plunk down your hard-earned pounds.

An interesting user-experience article - the best one I''ve found thus far - is at:

http://www.macgregor26x.com/EXPLORE/EXUMAS/bruce1.shtml

It''s good reading, but it also talks about hardware busting off, and he discusses his experiences with boats limits.

Good luck.

decodent
aka doug
Old 07-29-2001

Macgregor 19 or 26x

So.....who wants to go to France anyway, its only full of fine red wine, fantastic food........Oh well.
But... I''m off to look at mac 19 next week, I''ve had some good advice from other message boards on pitfalls etc. but the more the better.....anyone?
Colin
Old 11-09-2001

TStockwell is on a distinguished road
Macgregor 19 or 26x

I wouldn''t dismiss the capabilities of the Mac 26 X based upon the opinions of more traditional keel boat sailors who have yet to step foot on an X.

Instead, I''d check it out with the MacGregor owners who are on the MacGregor list serv that Sailnet sponsors.

There are a number of X and Mac 19 sailors in England who participate on this list. Some are lake sailors, but some do the channel thing too. It''s a very friendly list.

Finally, a number of MacGregor sailors have crossed from Dana Point up to the Santa Rosa Islands and also from Ft. Bragg California down to SF Bay. While I don''t know the conditions of sailing that occur on the English Channel, these sailors might give you some first hand experience about sailing a Mac 26X in difficult weather.

Just some suggesttions.