Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road
Looking for premium coastal cruiser 39 LOA or less

I'm looking for suggestions on the move to a high quality boat. Here's the criteria:

Right now I have a Catalina 36 which is exceptionally well outfitted for single handed coastal or Great Lakes sailing. Full suite electronics, bow thruster, new sails, cruising chute, etc. I do not want a bigger boat because I very often sail alone. I know I can handle a 45' boat single handed out of the harbor, but docking single handed in a 25 knot cross wind would be out of the question with a large boat. I have no problems with the 36' boat under any conditions.

I've looked at new Catalina, Hunter, Bavaria, Dehler, and the common French boats. None of them seem as well built as Catalina. Any switch there would not be moving up.

I like all the modern toys, I like modern hull shapes, I like swim platforms, I like a fair turn of speed. This seems to take the old slow classics out of the picture. That means Island Packet, Alden, Morris, Hood, Hinckley, Shannon, and other premium builders are of out of the running.

All I can find that in modern cruisers that are less than 39' LOA would be the Tartan 3700 and the Hallberg-Rassy 372. Both are fast but classic looking, yet have lots of modern comfort features. Are there others? What am I missing?

Looking for ideas.....
GTJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for premium coastal cruiser 39 LOA or less

Your query implies a healthy budget, but there's still a 'range' I think you need to define. And strictly new?? or lightly used? Willing to ship from Europe? If so that opens up a whole new world!

Don't know if you followed PCP's "Interesting Sailboats" thread, but the first few hundred pages will have some good info for you, though mostly eurocentric. Some very interesting boats built over there, few of which seem to be imported to N.A.

Interesting Sailboats
christian.hess likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:53 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

How about something from J boat? If you want more performance but still decent accommodations there is the J111. If you want real good performance but more comfort there is the new J112E.

I also like Jeanneau, the Sun Odyssey 379 would be pretty nice.

Barry
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Agree that some of the new Jboats should be on the list.. but I don't think Jeanneau is an adequate 'upgrade' for the OP.

He's pretty clearly heading for the next tier.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 4 Weeks Ago

zeilfanaat is on a distinguished road

The first thing that comes to my mind is X-Yachts; the Xc 35 or Xc 38 look like a sweet ride.

What is it about your Catalina 36 that makes you want to move up?
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Your query implies a healthy budget, but there's still a 'range' I think you need to define. And strictly new?? or lightly used? Willing to ship from Europe? If so that opens up a whole new world!.....
Interesting Sailboats
For new vs used, it's mostly a time issue. I'm 62 years old and the horizon is not far off for my sailing years. I'm very open to a lightly used boat since they seem to commission sooner. With a meticulous previous owner a used boat should be ready to go. It could easily take a year or more to get the bugs out of a new boat. Whoever buys my current boat will be way ahead of a new boat buyer in terms of throwing off lines and going places.

I'm also open to shipping from Europe, but I'm reserved on the smaller brand names. I don't want to have difficult with replacement parts on pumps, motors, and things like that. Aren't the docks in Europe fitted with 220 volts?

I noted comments RE Jeanneau. I've been on lots of those and I think it's really a Ford/Chevy thing. Not a significant step up. I mean, trade in a lead keel for an iron keel? Also, J boats are wonderful, but even the cruising models are pretty lean inside.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJackson View Post
For new vs used, it's mostly a time issue. I'm 62 years old and the horizon is not far off for my sailing years.
If you're just 62, say it ain't so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJackson View Post
I'm also open to shipping from Europe, but I'm reserved on the smaller brand names. I don't want to have difficult with replacement parts on pumps, motors, and things like that. Aren't the docks in Europe fitted with 220 volts?.
I suspect that even on European boats (except for the shore power issues you bring up) that engines, pumps, etc are all going to primarily be mainstream brands like Volvo, Yanmar, Jabsco etc.

Sounds like you need to a)f ind the right boat, about 2-3 years old, and b) find one for sale that's had a similarly meticulous owner as yourself.

The latter, especially, may be a tall order!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeilfanaat View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is X-Yachts; the Xc 35 or Xc 38 look like a sweet ride.

What is it about your Catalina 36 that makes you want to move up?
Xc 38 does look interesting. The interior does look very Ikea, like most of the low cost European boats, but the deck plan and rigging is nice. Tartan would be a slam-dunk if they got the traveler out of the cockpit. The Xc 38 has done that part well.

My Catalina does most everything very well and I like the boat. The wing keel is great for getting into shallow spots but I think they could have made it a bit deeper. The boat goes sideways a bit easier than I would like. Mostly I'm looking at getting into a better built boat. Higher end boats often have more organized wiring, better bilge access, better hardware access, and things like that.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

desert rat is on a distinguished road

For coastal cruseing I would want a boat that could snake up a small stream to hide from
a storm or dry out safely on a mud flat as the tide goes out. 39 ft seems a bit large. As above the English and French have a lot of costal sailors.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

If you will consider used I would look for a Sabre 386 or 362.

Here's one:
2010 Sabre 386 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

C&C 115 might meet your needs.

Barry
Faster and mr_f like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.