Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2001

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Help identify my boat/ history

I have recently purchased a 22''-27'' fiberglass sailboat the certificate of British registry lists the MFG. as General Developmants Co.(Glasgow) Limited. The date of MFG. is 1963. It is Yawl rigged hull #304441. The loa measures 27 '' but the american paperwork lists the vessel as a 22'' ketch. I suspect the translation or standard used in Europe is different??Any one know the MFG, or any info on the vessel. Thanks. Big Red.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2001
JeffH

I am not familiar with the maunfacturer that you mention, General Developmants Co.(Glasgow) Limited, but perhaps I can help with the LOA question. Historically, LOA was measured between the point where line of the stem met the line of the line of the deck to the point where line of the transom met the line of the deck. This was how LOA was measured here and abroad for centuries. LOA did bot include bowsprits, boomkins, anchor rollers, overhanging booms davits,or any of the other items that marketing types started including in LOA about 15 or so years ago. I am not sure if that helps with your puzzle.

If you desribe the boat in more detail maybe I can tell you more about what you have. I assume she is wood. Is she a double ender? Does she have a cabin? A bit more detail will help and I will see what I can dig up.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2001

Ahoy, JeffH, The vessel is Listed as fiberglass reinforced plastic yacht with the LOA measured as the length from the fore part of the stem to the fore side of the rudder stock, on the British registry document. The interior of the cabin and all lockers show the hull clearly as fiberglass and in fact except for some after market shelving the isn''t even any wood trim on the vessel. The bulkheads and numerous open type interior storage spaces all apper to be encapsulated in glass os well. I have pictures being developed as I write this and I will post them on my personal page asap.The hull has a severe sheer aft of the fixed keel and terminates in a small transom. The masts and booms are fiberglass though the main mast is snapped in two places . It is obvious to me that the boat was built for ocean passage making. The cabin is ringed with 6" brass portholes commom to the sixties and has a Yanmar diesel. The vessel has been lying for at least two years unused and has never been transferred to american registry. I suppose I will have a Tax problem as well but I don''t know? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2001
JeffH

So far it doesn''t ring a bell. Email me when you post the pictures and I will take a look.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2001

Pictures are up on my personal page have more on file if you want to see them . Anyone who can help Identify this vessel throw me a line!
Old 07-26-2001
JeffH

I could not find your personal page.
Jeff
Old 07-26-2001

Ahoy Jeff , sorry members directory under Big Red 56.
Old 07-26-2001
JeffH

Not a clue! I thought I had seen just about everything but that is one unusual boat.

Jeff
Old 07-26-2001

Ahoy, Yeah, thats why I bought it almost instantly and I am facinated by the strong build and the design of the interior is very unusal. Everything about the vessel tells me it is custom made for ocean crossing and the undocumented history from the person I bought it from claimed it had been around the world. One of the pieces of documentation is a British Columbia user license from 1995. So built in england in 1963 and on the west coast of US in 1995 now lying in southwest Florida? Sounds like a world cruiser to me. Did I mention the masts which appear to be original to the vessel are fiberglass vintage 1963? Very strange . I''am really sorry the yard snapped the mast when it was hauled last year for the bottom work ,according to the previous owner of two years who never even sailed her. I hope any one else who reads this likes a good Mystery. The old name of the vessel is Sea-King of Upnor? My internet searches have all been fruitless as well. Thanks. Big Red 56.