Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2001

thomola is on a distinguished road
New Boat Prices

I am currently looking for a sailboat and have narrowed my search down to 3 models: Colgate 26, Sonar 23, or a J/80.

Does anyone know how much give there is on list price for keelboats in the 25 foot range. I have not been able to find any information of this nature about sailboats.

Any information, from those more salty than me, would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2001
JeffH

New Boat Prices

The margins in the sailing industry are comparatively small. Certainly they are way smaller than cars for example. The ability to get a discount is really a matter of the popularity of the design (Its that demand thing don''t you know?)

A boat like the Colgate which I believe has a back log for training fleets would probably have the least flexibility. The Sonar which is built in limited numbers by a small operation probably has the most flexibility and you never know what is happening with J-boats as they may be over booked on one line and have molds gather dust for another.

That is a somewhat mixed list you have there.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
New Boat Prices

Not sure what you are asking in your post. Are you looking for new or used. I just bought a new Colgate 26 (through Offshore Sailing School) and am very happy with it. You can go to their site and see the new prices: www.Colgate26.com
Essentially a new boat with just about everything but motor, trailer, sailcover and cushions costs $27,000. I''m sure the J is much more. Used Colgates (1997) are being advertised for about $19000. Dont know much about the Sonars, but they have been made longer and there are probably more used boats out there. I think they are just a bit more expensive than the Colgate new. Email me if you have any specific questions about the Colgate.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 07-25-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
New Boat Prices

I just noticed that the top of your post says new boat prices. Sorry I did not notice that before. Just call Steve Colgate at Offshore Sailing School and ask. His phone number is on the Colgate web site. They may negociate on the transportation costs. The rest, I don''t know.
Also, unless you are serious about racing, I would not buy the J80. I did see a letter in the Colgate newsletter that one Colgate owner was racing his boat and keeping up or beating J80''s.
Rob