Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006

kclaybrook is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on Ranger 22

I started sailing this year in April. Completely hooked! The sailing club we have joined here in Nashville, TN has a learners program, but it is really hard to get enough stick time in 2 hours a week sharing a boat with 5 or 6 other learners. So, I started looking at my own boat. There are a few criteria for this boat:
  • Something my wife and I can handle ourselves (22-25 ft)
  • Something with a somewhat comfortable cabin (to placate the wife)
  • Something with a little bit of speed
  • and finally PRICE (we need to stay in the 2K - 5K range)
Just today we took out a Ranger 22. This seems to fit all of our criteria. I have read the boat reviews on the site, but always take those with a grain of salt. I have yet to read a review from an owner that hated the boat. I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the Ranger 22. I'm not just looking for the good, but the bad and the ugly as well. JeffH has said the Ranger 23 is a far superior boat. That's a good start. So, come on, let's hear the opinions of all you experienced sailors, and salty dogs. Let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
I promise not to derail the discussion! I have sailed on a Ranger 22 and think they are a lot fun. I have no experience on a 23. What kind of conditions do you expect to encounter in Nashville and where will you be sailing?
Old 07-09-2006

Nashville winds are very fluky. I do not think I will go out initially in anything over about 15. I think. I have heard that the most annoying sailors are the ones that don't know what they don't know. I am not one of those. I know my inexperienced limitations. I am just looking for something that will help me while I learn, but will also take me further as we go along.
Old 07-09-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Clay: Check out this link. Its a great site that describes your boat in great detail.

http://www.strictlysailing.com/ranger22/
Old 07-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Ranger series of boats is generally well regarded. I just helped launch a Ranger 26 earlier this year. Quite a nice boat, but a bit small in my book. I think you'd do well with either the Ranger 22, 23 or 26. Used, they're all in that price range generally, unless in immaculate condition.

A couple of things to be wary of on them. Many Rangers are raced, and as such, can have seriously more wear and tear on them than boats that were not raced. A survey is generally an excellent, almost mandatory, step to take on any that you find interesting.

Another boat that might be of interest to you is the Santana 22, which was also designed by Gary Mull, designer of the Ranger sailboats.

One other thing, you should set aside about 20% of your boat buying budget for equipment re-fitting, upgrades, and modifications. Not to discourage you, but every boat I've ever owned needed to have something done to make it workable for me. It doesn't matter whether the boat is new or used....it just seems to be a fact of life when it comes to boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2006

The owner of this particular boat is the original owner. He bought the boat in 78. He has recently (last 3 years) replaced all of the winches, cleats, and teak. The sails (main and 155) are 1 year old mylar racing sails from a small loft in New York I believe. The spinnaker is the original and likely will need to be replaced when I am comfortable enough to fly one. He has told me that the boat will need some bottom work, ie small blisters to be taken care of and a new bottom. This should not be much trouble, as I will trailer the boat for the first couple of years. Thanks for the input, keep it coming!
Old 07-12-2006
Sailor

edtolman is on a distinguished road
Great post, great questions/answers...thanks for the posting!
Old 07-21-2006
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Smile Thoughts on Ranger 22

I have sailed on a Ranger 26 and would buy one if I were looking for a nice handling, fast daysailer that could be easily trailered. I enjoyed more interior room in the R26 than I see on a Ranger 22. The larger R26 is easily handled by two adults and othe members. It is large enough to allow the entire family to grow with it.
Otherwise, in a couple short years you could find the smaller R22 was outgrown due to your children's growth. But, I would advise you to seek a R26 instead of a Ranger 22 or 23 ft.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-24-2006

Ericscoth is on a distinguished road
My thought would be it would be a fun boat to have and learn on and give you the sense of sailing hard. My first keel boat experiance was on a Ranger 22 and it is a fairly fast boat, big deck to get around on, I suspect due to a race design. Kind of small down below so dont expect a week trip out on it. In good wind it heels way over but I was never afraid of it broaching.
Old 09-12-2008
Second Guess

SecondGuess is on a distinguished road
I have purchased a ranger 22 as my first keelboat this spring after sailing mainly on a c&c 29 and other 30 ish foot curser racers and I love the ranger its much more exciting to sail and will let you know much quicker if you are doing something wrong, if you are looking for a review from an owner who hates the boat i think you will be looking for a long time the only things that I can say about mine that bother me are the outboard is hard to reach on the stern mounted bracket especialy for shifting from forward to reverse, it will pound going into a chop, and unless you mount some winches closer to rear of the boat it is difficult to single hand.