SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   46' Spindrift / Hillier Yachts Center Cockpit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/18064-46-spindrift-hillier-yachts-center-cockpit.html)

AZNova 07-10-2006 06:00 AM

46' Spindrift / Hillier Yachts Center Cockpit

I was in San Diego for the past week and spent some time looking at a few boats. One in particular that caught my eye was a Spindrift 46. According to the broker, it is a variant of a stretched Kelly Peterson. I have looked around on the net for information on this boat/builder but found very little. Anyone have any info/experience with this boat?

Here is the link on yachtworld.com for this particular boat:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1441401/0

I am looking for a performance cruiser in the 44'-50' blue water cruiser that I can singlehand - not necessarily a racer/cruiser but a boat that will perform well in all wind conditions and at a good clip. Previous boats I have looked into have been Hylas, Stevens, CSY, C&C, etc.

What I liked about this particular boat was it is a center cockpit, cutter rig with a modified keel, bow thruster, all lines run aft (definitely set up for single-handing), good-sized ground tackle and an electric windlass, large tankage. The interior was comfortable and roomy with an L-shaped galley. On my initial inspection it looked in good shape. When I asked the broker (who I have had previous conversations with) what was wrong with the boat, all he could point out were minor cosmetic issues and a leak around the mast. The leak had caused discoloration in the headliner but that was all it looked like from my perspecitve.

The only thing I didn't like was the leak around the mast inside the cabin and that I banged my head twice going into the Master Stateroom.

Improvements I would make to the boat for myself would include a watermaker and a generator/solar panels.

I know that only a survey (and time) will tell if there is anything truly wrong with this boat, but I did like what I saw.

Now, I am interested in the sailing characteristics of this boat. How does it perform in various wind conditions, rough weather, etc?

Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions...

Steven

sailandoar 07-10-2006 07:36 AM

Nice Looking boat!

Teak decks are great to look at and great to walk on but (1) can be a real problem in that they are a potential place for fresh water to get into the deck core (rot), (2) to leak thru to the interior (pain in the neck) and (3) a regular maintenance item (time & money). It is not necessarily a selling point and if there were to be deck core issues that is HUGE HUGE dollars for repair even to the point of writing the boat off. TEAK DECKS ARE NOT BAD but it pays to be extra careful.

Have good mechaninc/surveyor give you some feedback (if you can not do it yourself) on the boats systems. Is the wiring well done and labeled and are terminal blocks accessable. Same for plumbing. Those things will EAT YOUR LUNCH when you take the boat you GOT A GOOD DEAL ON to the yard and get a few things fixed. Talk about a snowball.

Sorry, I know this was not an answer to the question you asked but my fingers were itchy and I needed to type.

Best Luck,

AZNova 07-10-2006 12:45 PM

Good Advice

Thanks for the advice!

Honestly, I am not keen on teak decks. If it weren't for everything else that just feels right about this boat, I would have easily passed on it.

If I am going to pull the trigger on this boat, I plan to have general survey done first. If there are no significant (insurmountable) issues, then I will have rigging and engine surveys done. I will also be sure to have the oil analysed as part of the engine survey.

Thanks again!
Steven

sailingdog 07-10-2006 01:39 PM

Might also want to read some of the other threads about how to find out what kind of shape a boat is in, and what to look for when you are about to buy one.

Lastly, even if the survey comes back with immaculate results, plan on spending at least 15-20% of the price of the boat on upgrades, re-fitting and such to get the boat rigged and setup to your liking.

CharlieCobra 07-10-2006 02:13 PM

One word WET! Center cockpit boats are wet in a rough seaway.

Martin002 02-01-2007 01:42 PM

My family has owned a Sprindrift 46 for almost 25 years and we love it. What do you want to know?

Martin002

damonswank 02-22-2010 11:03 PM

How did it turn out?

Your post is 2006.

I would love to learn how it all turned out --

Damon Swank

rbbell 05-14-2010 08:45 PM

Steven re: Spindrift-Hillier 46' Sailboat

Steven, I can fill you in on many of the questions you have regarding the Spindrift you found in San Diego. Both as to the builder and her sailing characteristics.