Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
Question Hunter 38 offshore capable???

Any thoughts or experinces in regard of the new Hunter 38? Could she be capable of safely crossing oceans, perhaps with some add-ons? Or is she strictly for coastal crusing and perhaps carribean islands?

So many newer boats are classified "A" (ocean going) these days, but how could one find the boat to be trusted with one's future and life?

Thanks for any comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I don't think it's so much a question of, is it capable, as it is, is it suitable. Hunters, to my mind, are built more toward comforts and amenities, than for seagoing. Geared towards the weekend, or week or two cruiser, who spends more time at rest, than at sail. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, just something that has to be taken into account.

Questions such as tankage, sea berths, displacement say it's not meant as a world girdling cruiser, though that doesn't mean it can't. So, as I said, is it suitable is the question you want to answer.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generally, many of the newer production boats from Hunter and several other brands are geared towards being "floating condos" with large saloon areas, large berths, and multiple cabins. Many of these attributes are not really good attributes for a bluewater cruising boat. For instance, smaller berths are far safer in heavy seas, and many of the berths found on today's larger production boats are very unsuitable and unsafe for use in heavy seas.

While many boats can survive a bluewater passage safely, not many are comfortable for a long passage. The seaworthiness and seakindliness of many of the modern designs are not all that suitable for bluewater passages.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-11-2006

infonote is on a distinguished road
Yes it is capable for offshore. At least it is certified for offshore.
Old 07-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Saying "Yes it is capable for offshore. At least it is certified for offshore." is about the same as saying BLAH BLAH BLAH... lips flapping, but nothing of any use being said—just noise.

Being capable for offshore, being certified for offshore, and being suitable for offshore are three different things. Many of the new "floating condo" type boats are certified for offshore, and quite possibly off-shore capable...but I doubt that they're really suitable for offshore use.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-11-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
People have crossed oceans in all forms of boats. I'm certain that with everything falling your way you could circumnavigate in one. But I would be more comfortable with something built more for that purpose. It is certainly not what it was designed for.
Old 07-11-2006

Cat400 is on a distinguished road
I've owned a number of Catalina's the current being a 400. Great boat but I would not take it to blue water because it is as pointed out by others not suitable for this type of sailing. By the way it may be categorized by some as a floating condo but it sails great and will blow off a Valiant 42 in a heartbeat...but I would select the Valiant for bluewater if I were so inclined.
Old 07-11-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
One thing I have noticed about Hunters and other porduction boats is that they lack good sea berths. If you are crossing any large body of water you have to have good sea berths.
Old 07-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Don't even think about it. Spend the same $$ on an older blue water boat that is suitable for blue water AND extended living at sea. Just asking this question indicates to me that you need to do some reading and sailiing in offshore conditions before making a major investment mistake.

More discussion on "bluewater capable" here:
Bluewater defined?

Here's a good list of offshore boats for starters...not all inclusive:
http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/best.htm

And a good book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...7616X?v=glance
Old 07-20-2006

Inqui is on a distinguished road
Is a Hunter capable of going offshore? Short answer, you can take a bathtub offshore if you really desire, but that is not want it is designed for! Keep a Hunter in a coastal environment and stop in Marinas to take advantage of shore power to keep running all the goodies that they are generally loaded with and you will be happy with a Hunter.

Wherewith I speak: After bringing a Hunter 46 back from Corfu to the UK on Delivery, the entire insides shifted 3 inches after a miserable crossing of the Bay of Biscay. In fact, the engine cowling showed the 3 inch gap between it and the floor. Also, in a bit of bad timing while getting slammed by a wave, I managed to put my hand through one of the rear cabin doors when I fell forward while getting ready for a night watch. Not what I would call solid construction.

I would hate to think of the loss in value of this vessel due to this one trip. She sure was tricked out with toys though. Too bad the owner didn’t spend his money on more function.