Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006

redmans is on a distinguished road
Should I buy a Coronado 32

I cannot find much information on this boat. It is a 1973 coronado with center cockpit and cast iron keel. One of my friends said that it would sail like a cork in the ocean because of the high freeboard. Another friend commented that it is a windabago, and that the wind would push it around. Others have negative comments on the cast iron keel indicating that rust would be a problem. It is not that I don't value their opinions, but they are novice sailors like me. I would be cruising off the coast of Southern California. The boat has been well maintained. Does anyone want to give me their opinion? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Listen to your friends. Friends don't let friends buy Coronado 32's
(unless you are simply looking for a cheap liveaboard.)

Your friends are right, these were worse than mediocre sailing boats of worse than mediocre build quality, sold cheaply 30 plus years ago. Unless this boat had a really knowledgeable owner who maintained and upgraded this boat a lot, it is really not a great boat for a starting sailor, and a more experienced sailor probably would know better than to be interested in a Coronado 32.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I generally prefer lead keels, over iron ones. The iron ones, even the fully encapsulated ones, have some serious issues if they have started to corrode at all. And most of the ones 30 years old have started corroding.

As JeffH has pointed out... the Coronados were mediocre boats at best, and not of great sailing qualities... If the boat sails like a pig, you won't be happy sailing on it.

My boat does 5 knots in 4 knots of wind quite regularly... so I really enjoy going out, even in light winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-11-2006

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
....and you won't be able to resell her.
Old 07-12-2006

ShirKhan is on a distinguished road
I keep running into people who are really anti Columbias and Coronados, and why there's this persistent thing that they're all lousy boats comes from, is beyond me. I've never sailed the 32 but the Coronados I have sailed on all seem to be solid boats with VERY satisfied owners, there's almost a Coronado "cult" they love the boats so much...a retired friend of mine justreturned from Bermuda on the 25', not too many 25 foot boats that can make that trip (although that is stretching the capabilities a little)...his home is in the Chesapeake and he and his wife sail south to the Virgins in his Coronado 25 every year. I've sailed the 25 and the 27, both are boats I'd feel secure taking my family to unknown destinations with. The only drawback I know of is that they're old and out of style. They're right about the resale value, though...you can always pick up a Coronado for pretty cheap if you look. I would also agree with only buying one that's been really well maintained and upgraded...because of the age more than anything else. IMHO it's a boat you buy when you're looking for bang for the buck but don't give a freak if the Beneteau crowd is impressed.

Another good bang for the buck boat are the Morgan Outisland models, share a lot of the characteristics with the roominess and high freeboard thing...AND there are also a lot of "Morgan haters" who unjustifiably say they're built like crap, strange coincidence. If you're sailing a $30,000 boat and you see someone having just as much fun on a $10,000 boat with the same accomodations, there are some predictable reactions...LOL Same thing with Pearsons, another affordable, solid boat...folks into racing craft regularly refer to them as "pigs" too, and they're a hell of a boat.

Again, I don't know anything about the 32 specifically but I would talk to some people who actually own and sail Coronados before I made a decision. I looked at SailNet BoatCheck and Lat38, but they didn't have a lot of info on the 32 either; lots of reviews for other Coronados, you might want to check them out.

Last edited by ShirKhan; 07-12-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2006

hereicome is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with ShirKhan, you buy the Coronado becouse it fits what you plan to do. For me that is Sail tha Chesaperak south to the bahamas and west to Texas, and a few years from now i hope to sail her to the 17 Lat south to see the stars. Again as stated before by ShirKhan "I would talk to some people who actually own and sail a coronado" at one time on Sailnet there was a very informed email list for Coronado owners, and columbia owners, the Info you are looking for to make up your mind is out there keep looking. Yes i have a Coronado 25 she is my 2nd. Good Luck.
Old 12-12-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I buy a Coronado 32

These specs list the ballast as Lead.
CORONADO 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Just looked at one and she seemed pretty stout. The thing is a beast! Though, the standing rigging appeared to be on the light side. The inboard motor was still installed ( a pile of rust), but the owner (deceased) had gone to great pains to install a four stroke 10 HP outboard. Have to wonder why. He must have spent several thousands installing and buying the outboard, and thats a lot of boat for 10 ponies to push. In addition, with all that freeboard, handling her nimbely while under powered at the dock could be a trick!
So...Iron or lead keel? Whats the story?

Last edited by L124C; 12-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Good Gawd, the OP was a 2006 post.

Can't the admin lock a post that hasn't been added to for several (6 years).
Old 12-13-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Good Gawd, the OP was a 2006 post.

Can't the admin lock a post that hasn't been added to for several (6 years).
Why should they?

I just looked at the boat, and searched the forum for information. Since Coronado 32's were only produced for two years in the 70's they certainly haven't changed in 6 years. So the points made in this thread are still valid for anyone interested in the boat. Should I have started a new thread on the same subject, thereby reinventing the wheel (as many do, without even searching the subject to see if it has been discussed)?
From this old thread, I learned that some people think the boat is crap, others hold it in high regard, and some think it has a iron keel, which (if true) would be a deal killer for me! I provided evidence that it might not be the case, something I could not have done had the thread been "locked".

Given the quote from Lincoln you cite at the bottom of your posts, I find it particularly ironic that you, of all people, should raise this issue!
One more question. Why would you even open a thread you apparently had no interest in, regardless of it's date?

Last edited by L124C; 12-13-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
some think it has a iron keel, which (if true) would be a deal killer for me!
I'd rethink that. That would eliminate a big chunk of the new and late model European boats for example. Lead is the highest performance and most expensive choice but iron keels work perfectly well, don't have to be a maintenance nightmare and have some benefits vs lead re: keel bolts.

There have been a number of posts about them - check them out before dismissing them based on Internet rumours.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.