Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
In my earlier post, I mentioned the issue of raising and lowering the mast. What I didn't say was that I ended up keeping my C-22 in the water in a slip, hauling out at the end of each season. It is a trailerable boat but you do have that mast to contend with twice each time you sail.

I also should have clarified that the swing keel system may be better on newer 22s than on my 30-year-old boat. You do have to pay attention to the system and do the checks and/or maintenance faithfully.

I modified my boat to have all sail controls running to the cockpit, including a jib downhaul to allow me to drop the jib from the cockpit. The main sheet is at the end of the boom, and is very easy to control while sailing with the tiller. Despite the complaints I have with the swing keel system, the C-22 is a good boat to learn on and very easy to handle by oneself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ahh... that makes dealing with the mast much simpler.

I keep my trailerable trimaran, which is a bit different from my friend's boat, in a marina slip as well. His mast lower and raising system is dependent on his trailer winch—mine is not, and I can use mine on the boat, even in the water. I just prefer to be able to get on the boat and sail off.

I am in the process of designing and running most of the lines aft to the cockpit, but have not done so yet.

I have a centerboard design boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-23-2008

FastCompany is on a distinguished road
Bring help if you buy a 25 to get the mast up it is not a one man job. The 22 can be done single handed if done correct.

Last edited by camaraderie; 08-23-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Boat sales not allowed in this forum. see buying a boat forum.
Old 08-23-2008

OhioSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Another Reasonable Option

Consider that Erie is quite a jaunt from Cinci. You would need to allot about 4 hours travel time (each) pulling a boat and trailer and significant fuel expense. In addition, you need two people to setup and the time involved. This IMHO takes away from overall sailing time (and opportunities). Consider sailing on Brookville lake in Indiana. You can be there in less than an hour and leave your boat cheaply on a mooring. There is plenty of room to develop as a sailor.
I've done this and I now sail 2x/wk between April and October. My skills and experience have grown greatly this year. I feel that I could have this boat mastered in two seasons and then take on bigger goals.
If you would like to go, just PM me and we can go from there.

Good sailing.
Old 08-23-2008

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
Swing keel offers many advantages. Pure sailing a fixed keel is best. But when you want to gunk hole for the night a swing keel provides access to shallower water. I remember one anchorage on a lake that my wife and I liked a lot. The anchorage itself was about 10' deep but we had to go through some 3' water to get there. I also used the swing keel as a bottom finder. Lowered but not locked in place I could motor along slowly in shallow water. If it hit bottom a few cranks would raise it off the bottom. A very uneventful grounding with no harm. Wing keels are like anchors!!!!!! Once they dig into the bottom it is very difficult to get free. Also a swing keel should have less draft than a comparable wing keel.
Old 08-23-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I'm betting that the OP has figured it out in the intervening two years since he asked the question. (g)
Old 08-23-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Sway, be nice now. Actually I looked earlier today, and as of April of this year he was looking for basically the same thing.

So, still a relevant conversation for some.
Old 08-24-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Mea culpa, and a tip of the cap to Tommy.
Old 02-07-2010

Powerdude is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this thread. I'm basically thinking the same thing. Catalina 25, probably a swing keel or fin keel to trailer. Don't particularly want to pay slip fees, and the slip would be a way away since I live out in the desert in AZ.
Old 02-07-2010
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Powerdude,

Just to let you know, this thread hasn't been active since August of 2008. Not really a big deal, but some people get a little ancy when people post on an old thread. No big deal to myself however.

I'd probably go with the fin keel myself though.

Have fun in the desert!

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!