Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011

Landlocked in Ohio is on a distinguished road
To Ohio Sailor -

Newbie in Dayton. Looking to buy my first sailboat. Would love to go out with someone with more experience than I. I am 36, married with no kids, mechanic, introvert, laid back, cover band drummer, beer drinker... I am happy to just be on the water. If you need help on a cruise, or are willing to help a newb, I would love to hear from you.

Keith
soundmankeith@gmail.com
Old 09-07-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Keith - Talk to the people at Strictly Sail, a Cincinnati sailboat dealer, right away. They sponsor a sailing outing every year, in which people can go sailing with area boat owners, and see what sailing is all about. It's free, and Strictly Sail provides burgers and dogs, etc. Do it soon, because it usually happens about this time each year. (I'm not connected with them, but used to sail in that area for many years, and am very familiar with them.) Their hyperlink is at Strictly Sail Home Page
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2011

Landlocked in Ohio is on a distinguished road
Thanks! I wanted to take their last sailing class of the year, but unfortunately, I had a prior engagement. I signed up for their e-mail newsletter.
Old 09-09-2011

rightbrainer is on a distinguished road
Here's my 2 cents worth...
I have a Capri 22 Tall Rig, Wing Keel. I really like the boat, but I don't think I would have liked to start out on it. I learned on a 13'6" Blue Jay and had bunch of other boats including a 19' Valk, a Hobie 16, a Santana 20 and an O'Day 28.

I second the comment that your biggest issue is raising and lowering the mast. I made a gin pole arrangement out of fencing material from the local Lowes that cost me about $50 bucks. Essentially, it is a bipod strut that improves the hoisting angle as you raise the mast using the spinnaker halyard and the mainsheet tackle. There are lots of videos and pictures around to give you the idea. I can raise and lower my very long mast single-handed with relative ease.

Once you get good at it, I would plan to spend at least an hour at the launch site getting the boat rigged for sailing, which includes tuning the rigging, putting in (and taping) all those pesky split rings and bending on the sails. It's at least that long to de-rig the boat and get ready for the road at the other end of your trip. The first few times could easily take twice that long because there is no room for error when you have that mast half way up or down, so you'd better check everything over very carefully. If that mast falls, something is going to break. If you're lucky it will break something you already own.

My Capri weighs about 2,250# in fighting trim and plus maybe 250 pounds of outboard motor, extra sails and miscellaneous *ahem* crap that I haul around. The trailer must weigh close to 1,000# for a total over-the-road weight of 3,500#. If you've ever towed a trailer that weighed more than the tow vehicle you'll remember that creepy feeling when the trailer tried to boss the tow vehicle. You'll need a truck to pull a rig this size up the ramp.

My advice is to start smaller. Your issues are not proportional to the length of the boat, but to the weight of the boat. A 600# O'Day DaySailor or a 1,000# Rhodes 19 boat can be moved around by a couple of guys and you can put up the mast with muscle power. On a 2,500# boat, those things require blocks and tackle. I recommend starting with a centerboard day sailing type under 20'. They are great boats to learn on for not much money. You'll sail a lot more with a smaller boat. I'll bet 85 percent of the people on this board started in a small boat and many of us have come back to a small boat. You can do a surprising amount of cruising with a little imagination.

Once you've been out on your small boat 50 times, you'll know whether you want to move to a bigger boat or just put your money into a new suit of sails and a boom tent.

Calm seas and fair winds,
Old 01-29-2012

zumogo is on a distinguished road
first time sailor shopping

i read this thread found it helpful its old but helpful. i also was looking into a trail able sailboat. i have look into the 22 n 25 catalinas and i think i might just get the 22 and pay for a slip. i mean the 25 has more room but i don't know if my expedition will tow it. i do have a family of 5 (3kids) that's y the 25 would be more comfortable but i guess i will settle w/ the 22. any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2012
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
The advice on the C25 owner's forum (Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association) is, generally, to get a long wheelbase pick-up truck to tow a C25. Some are using Jeep Grand Cherokees or the like with success, but others have said that something akin to a Tahoe (if I recall correctly) was pushed around by the boat not too long ago when it caught some uneven pavement. With trailer, the C25 weighs somewhere in the 5500-6000 lbs ("dry"); add in gear and you're looking at easily 6000 lbs. Build in a 20% margin of error/safety factor, and you'll need something that is rated in the 7000+ lbs towing range. I'm not sure of your model year, but technically the 2012 with the HD towing package is rated to tow 8700 lbs, though the "standard" version is only rated to 6000 lbs ( towing specs here ). So you might be ABLE to tow it, assuming you're properly equipped, but whether it's advisable to ACTUALLY pull a 25+ foot long, 6000+ lb object behind your 17' long, 5500 lb vehicle is another story, and a decision I'll leave in your hands.

FWIW, I'm a new owner of a 1984 C25 and don't have a trailer for mine. We've decided that, at least for now, we'll keep her in the water and at a marina over the winter, so the lack of a trailer isn't a big problem (though having one would be nice). The 25 offers significantly more room in the cabin (it's amazing what 3' will do!) than most 22's, and the layouts are much nicer. If you're going to pay for a slip anyway, I'd go for the 25. Sure, you'll pay a bit more for the slip, but the bigger boat will be nice. For reference, mine is a family of 4, with 2 kids (6 and almost 4). We looked at 22's and 23's, and I'm really glad we went with the 25. Also a FWIW, while I have a swing keel and probably would get it again, I'd give the wing keel very serious consideration if I could find one. I imagine that the peace of mind of not having to worry about whether a massively heavy object might break free at any moment and disable/sink your boat would be kind of nice.

You didn't mention, is this your first boat? Do you have any experience with sailing? If you haven't sailed before, I'd respectfully suggest learning on something smaller before moving up. The 25 is my first sailboat, and I'm not incredibly experienced, but I logged many hours in smaller craft (14's and 19's) before deciding a) to buy, and b) to go with a 25. Much of this aspect of the discussion is probably best moved to a different thread, or you're welcome to PM me if you want more info.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2012

zumogo is on a distinguished road
jumgo,

Yes it will be my first boat. i do plan on taking a course on sailing in pt. pleasant or jersey city. i also found out that my expedition(98) has 8100lbs tow capacity. so i think i will go w/ the 22catalina or look into them macgregors w/ water ballast. the boat most likely will be in lake hopatcong since i am 5 min away. but its going up/down a mountain so towing is a concern.
thank for the reply

Joe
Old 03-06-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Swing Keel or Fixed Wing Keel? Catalina 22 or 25?

I just read this entire thread through, and even though it spans a number of years it is a good, coherent read. All except for the posts complaining that it is an old thread. I searched for "Catalina 25" and this came up, yes I'm looking at a possible buy.

I realize that the forum rules suggest starting a new thread, so I'm not saying those people were wrong.

It might be time to change the rules on old threads. With current search engines the internet is no longer strictly a "within the forum" thing. I don't see how numerous threads on the same subject is better than one good discussion where things don't have to be repeated.

I'm glad this (long term) thread exists, it is exactly the type of discussion I was looking for.
Old 03-07-2012

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it drives me nuts when people post the proverbial eye roll when a dated thread is brought back to life... this one was incredibly helpful to me, considering I bought a 25' catalina and trailer last month. Probably the same ones that tell ya to do a search the topic has been discussed 1,000 times.
skygazer and nowake like this.
Old 03-07-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiccolo1 View Post
the same ones that tell ya to do a search the topic has been discussed 1,000 times.