Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
If you are in Chicago, Make it a point to check out the Dufour 40. (It is or was at Belmont Harbor) It has been cleaning up out there and has real nice accomodation, storage and so forth. They make a 34 as well that is priced about $160k or so.

I really don't know what the market is regarding used boats on Lake Michigan but if you can find a used Dufour. I would highly recommend consideration thereof.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2006
Old Member

GusMattos is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denr
Some of the more common sailboats manufactured in the US and a fun way to compared them to their “land based people movers”:

Beneteau-Ford Taurus

C & C-Corvette

Catalina-Chevrolet Cavalier

Caliber-Volvo cars

Hunter-U-Haul Truck

Island Packet-Volvo Truck

J-Boats-Porsche

Sabre-BMW

Tartan-Jaguar

The term Mercedes, in my opinion, should be reserved for boats such as Hinckleys and Aldens. Feel free to “pile on” this response for your favorite Foreign built boats. Warning, don’t say anything bad about the Halberg-Rassys!
Fantastic way of putting some words my friend...
Old 08-30-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Rob...The O'Day would be an AMC Eagle...decent all purpose production quality boat but now on orphan!
Old 08-30-2006

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Cabo Rico 38

I'm new to the site so I have not yet figured out how to post a new message. At any rate I'm getting back into boating after 20 years and am looking for that perfect used boat. I plan to sail primarily up and down the East Coast as well as to the island. 90% of the time it will be just my wife and I and the remaining time it will be single handed or 2 couples. I'm looking for a well made cruising boat with good handling capabilities and comfort for 2. I seem to have gravitated to the Cabo Rico 38 and the Passport 40 for different reasons. Actually I've gravitated to the Cabo Rico and my wife to the Passport. Does anyone have experience with these boats they can share with me and any thoughts on the relative merits of each. Thanks.
Tom Shannon
Old 09-02-2006

harborman is on a distinguished road
new boat

Looks like you have an afinity for J Boats. They are known for speed and stability. The series of cruisers built in the late 80"s, 32,35,37 and 40 can provide exciting sailing and good cruising accomodations. I have owned a 37 for the past 7 years and found it to be the best boat I have sailed ---ever. Good for cruising and club racing.
It is for sale now ( a bit far away for you) in RI.

I would stay where you have experience to start.
Old 09-13-2006

jflowers is on a distinguished road
Look at the Hunter 37-cutter. It is ideal for your family and profile with 3 cabins and a separate shower. Cutter rig is easily single-handed and in another five years or so you will have more than enough crew.

I think the Uhaul analogy is weak. This John Cherubini design is one instance where Hunter got it right. Manufactured between 1981 and 1984 and available from $35K to $45k. More like the HumVee - but without the price tag.

Google 'Hunter 37-cutter"
Old 09-16-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
mark,
i've read through a number of replies, and i am surprised that nobody has asked about your wife's experience on the water; whether you intend to take other folks out sailing with you; or do family/couples outings overnight.
i grew up taking family vacations,sailing the chesapeake bay on a columbia 26, and while 5 people on a 26 foot sailboat can get cramped (mom,dad and the three of us 15/11/7), we enjoyed the experience. all of us were seasoned sailors and each of us loved the sport (ok..mom tolerated it, but the rest of us loved sailing). bottom line quality over quantity (size).
while it appears your budget allows for a wide choice of sailboats, i caution against buying too much boat for your level of experience. practically speaking, docking a 30 foot boat on a calm day can be trying, but putting a 40 footer in a slip with only one additional pair of hands, with a 15 knot breeze (you'll be busy at the wheel..that leaves mrs. mark handling the lines) will be a learning experience, and as long as you handle stressful situations calmly, it will be lots of fun. screaming at the spouse and progeny is not allowed
if i were in your position, i'd be looking at 34 sabres with a keel/cb config. the boats are exceptionally well built, has a roomy cockpit, coachroof mounted traveler (avoid cockpit travelers, especially those mounted right in front of the companionway,as inexperienced sailors might find themselves tangled up in them).
having never sailed the great lakes, my rationale for k/cb boats is simple..you can go places a boat w/ a six foot draft can't.this is a huge plus for those of us that sail on the chesapeake.this may not matter on lake michigan, but shoal draft boats come in handy from time to time (run hard aground when the water temperature is about 45, you'll appreciate this feature.
if you absolutely have to have a 35+ boat, a tartan 37 will do nicely..and you can pick up one in great shape, early 80's vintage for about 75- 80k, same thing for sabres. you'll have a quality boat that is stable, fun to sail and reasonably fast.
if you want a go-fast boat...J boats are the way to go, yet be prepared to give up some creature comforts (check with mrs mark on these). a C and C also gives speed, comfort and is a fun boat to sail. all the aformentioned boats hold their value.
good luck with your search.

sam
S/V Sanctuary
Old 09-16-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
I just discovered that my 2004 BMW has bottom blisters. I thought they resolved those problems back in the 90's.

Seriously, it's useful to hear from people who have a breadth of knowledge of both cars and boats to provide us with rough ideas of boat quality and performance. Most of us here are just learning about boats but we all, unfortunately, have daily experience with cars.
Old 09-16-2006

zfactor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just discovered that my 2004 BMW has bottom blisters.
And I just put new brakes on my 2002 Beneteau.
Old 09-17-2006

Rodz47 is on a distinguished road
" .... a C and C also gives speed, comfort and is a fun boat to sail. all the aformentioned boats hold their value...."
with the exception that CandC has balsa core below the water line and I've just walked away from buying a boat that has delamination on 25sqft of hull - otherwise the boat was in pretty good shape. If you buy a boat of such vintage a good surveyor is a "must" for a corvette.