Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
If it doesn't have to be an Ensign (not racing) an Electra or Sea Sprite are similarly nice looking boats in size and configuration.

Last edited by WouldaShoulda; 11-02-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Someone said earlier, but the Electra was the non-daysailor version of the Ensign if I remember correctly.

just for fun: http://www.ensignclass.com/images/st...gnBrochure.pdf

What else? I'm guessing you can find one well worth restoring or getting in working order. The rigs aren't complex, and sails are relatively small. IMHO, it's a great keel boat to learn on as it's easily sailed by tying the tiller to centerline and just steering/tacking/gybing/etc... by sail trim and weight placement. All the said, I can't imagine for the life of me paying more than 4-5k for one. Sure, a J-22 is a faster, more modern boat, but then a Rocket 22 is faster than a J-22. If the OP is interested in racing and playing with a local OD fleet, then it's more about numbers than the boat.

.... and Gordon Nash has a very unique and extensive skill set to bring to an old boat restoration, not to mention that he and his entire family (mom, bro, etc....) are all great sailors and can make pretty much anything they get on go fast.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 11-02-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I guess it depends on wear you live BUT in Northport they have a big following with deep pockets thats shows up and fields a big one design fleet every week

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2010

seasailor is on a distinguished road
The Electra is the MORC version of the Ensign with the same hull, but a larger cabin, 4 berths, a smaller self-bailing cockpit, and a masthead rig. The Ensign was originally named the Electra Ensign to distinguish between the two boats. There are still used Electras around even though only 319 of them were built and production ended in the early 60's due to the popularity of the Ensign daysailor. I recently saw a picture of a guy racing an Electra in the 2009 Solo Trans-Pac race. From what I understand they are very strongly built and capable small ocean racers, if you don't expect a whole lot of headroom or storage capacity.

"The best bilge pump is a frightened man with a horse bucket!"

Last edited by seasailor; 11-02-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.