Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006

pshearing is on a distinguished road
Anyone have information on Marco Yachts?

I'm looking at a boat built by Marco Yachts and I haven't found much information on them. Is there anyone out there who has sailed one or owned one who could give me their comments.

The broker has indicated its a good bluewater boat but pretty slow for coastal cruising. Its a "MC39", 1976.

Anyone have comments/feedback?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2007

Sharon57 is on a distinguished road
MC39 info

Are you still looking for information about this type of sailboat?
We owned one for many years and sailed it offshore.
Happy to answer any questions you may have if we can.

Cheers,

Sharon
Old 02-02-2013

funding-the-fun is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone have information on Marco Yachts?

Hi Sharon,

I am interested in hearing your experience with the Marcos 39. My partner and I are looking for a dependable and seaworthy vessel to live-aboard in the Pacific Northwest. We plan to outfit the boat while living aboard and cruising locally, and eventually sail the South Pacific and onwards.

How did the boat handle under sail? Was she a slug in light air? How much wind did she need to get up to 6 knots? How did she perform to windward? How about off the wind? How did she behave in heavy seas? Was it a comfortable ride or did she pound?

I understand that the interiors were mostly custom so I won't bother to ask about the accommodations. Were there any problems with the MC that I should look out for when inspecting the boat?

We are hoping to look at a 1981 MC 39 for sale in BC. It seems to be a very well maintained one-owner vessel. The price is $50,000 CAD. Does that seem reasonable?

Thank you for your help!

- Mike
Old 02-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Mike.. Sharon hasn't even visited this site since she posted that in 2007, it was her one and only post.

When you get yourself up to 15 posts you might try to PM her (there's a chance she'll still receive email notifications). Then again, maybe she's been waiting for your query all this time

Anyhow... just in case you hadn't noticed the date.....

btw.. a well found MC39 for $50K could well be worth investigating... they were locally built in Port Coquitlam, IIRC.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-02-2013

Hi Faster,

Yeah, I did notice the date but I haven't been able to find any info on this boat so now I'm taking shots in the dark. I haven't even been able to find a sail or side plan yet. Good idea about PM-ing her after 15 posts. Thanks for that.

Do you know anyone on this site that was a part of the Vancouver boat building industry in the 80's? They might be able to shed some light on the build quality...

- Mike
Old 02-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

This the one?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-02-2013

No. It's listed for $50k on www(dot)salts(dot)ca under buy a boat.
Old 02-02-2013

I spoke to the listing agent and he is going to send me a copy of a recent survey. Will have to take it with a grain of salt of course, but it might provide some insight.
Old 02-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The MC 39 was built by Markos Yachts - note spelling. I bought my first hull from Markos (he never used his first name which I found out years later was Van.)

IMO when he was in business he was the best builder in Vancouver - even better than Spencers. The MC 39's he built are extremely stout & well finished. He sold mouldings as well so Caveat Emptor. He built lots of the Maple Leaf 42's for Svends yachts. He also built the Perry designed Reliance 37 which was built and marketed as a very high end boat to compete with the very best. I never heard anyone say it failed at that goal either. They remain very pricy but rare.

The 39 is based on an Al Mason design and would make a very nice long distance boat or liveaboard.

The last time I saw him was in Coal Harbour - he & his significant other were finishing offshore prepping his own 38' "Daniel K" which AFAIK was the same as the 39 but scratch built - possibly the plug.

Some time later I saw it was for sale in Florida and he was writing for GOB magazine.

One of the local race boat builders, when I mentioned I bought a hull from him, asked "Is he still building that big whale?" referring to the 39 - I don't think you can expect exciting performance from it but lots of comfort & security for sure.

Are you looking at the one with the windshield? It looks like his construction from the pics.

Edit: just saw your link - that's the one I meant. If those pics are current it's a steal at the less than $50K you might offer. It's a lot of boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-02-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Well. that's two of them on the Island.. nice little comparison shopping trip.