Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006

Toyboat is on a distinguished road
First time boat buyer - I want a live-aboard

Can anyone provide suggestions of a good way to shop for a live-aboard boat in Seattle?

I have a budget of about $90K, but because I would be a first time owner, I'm going to need to get something smaller and newer than what I've been looking at in order to get an insurance policy.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2006

Actually - I'd be willing to rent as well

I'm a single, professional woman - just looking for a little space on the water. I want to have a boat that's not a headache to maintain, big enough I can invite a few people over for dinner, and moored in Seattle.

I'd be a good, responsible caretaker, I can provide dozens of glowing references, and I'm always timely in rent payments.

Do you know of anyone that has a boat I can live on or suggestions on how to find one?
Old 07-18-2006
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
boats.com or yatchworld.com. Any of the online sites will do.
Old 07-18-2006

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
American marine insurance out of California gave us good rates when others wouldn't offer any quotes. The Broker I worked with was Derrick, try getting a quote from them.

Harry
Old 07-18-2006

Thanks Harry. American Marine Insurance actually were the first to tell me that the make (Carri-Craft), age, size and my lack of qualifications were not going to get me any American policy. They suggested going through Lloyd's.

I was warned that with Lloyd's the coverage is bad and the price is high, and the broker I spoke with personally suggested that I look for another boat.

This is so frustrating.
Old 07-18-2006

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
If the underwritter is overseas, your rate will be higher. But an overseas underwritter will insure a boat that an american one wont.

I've been told this is in part that most American underwriters are really setup for land vehicles and their marine part is so small they stay away from any risk, whereas the overseas ones are mainly or only marine centered.

Hey, the entire rest of the world uses what we would consider an "overseas" carrier, you may be surprised. But i really do not know either way.
Old 07-18-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Boatless in Seatle...Sounds like a good movie idea!
Have you looked at Island Packets 30-35. You should be able to find one in your budget range. They are tight and well built boats.
Old 07-18-2006

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road
Depending if you want a boat or a space to live on in the water there are several options. I saw 2 liveaboard houses in Lake Union for between $150k and $170k but you can mortgage those through a bank, although slip fees for those were above $340 a month.
Otherwise you need to find a boat that comes with liveaboard status and you may need a brokers help for that. They do come up but are limited because Seattle isn't allowing any new liveaboards at least in fresh water.
Shileshole is remodelling until 2008 so they are not taking anyone from their waiting list until they replace their docks. It may be a good time to get on their waiting list if you don't find a boat that has liveaboard status.

Also check Salmon Bay Marina, they have some liveaboards and control their own brokerage. They have a website that I don't recall.
In Lake Washington check Parkshore Marina. It is condo, but you can rent from an owner and liveaboard for a fee. Then you just need to get a boat to put in there.

Good luck
Ken
Old 07-19-2006

Thanks Ken - I appreciate your suggestions... One question though:

You mention that I will need to find a boat with a "liveaboard status"

what do you mean by that? couldn't I deem any suitable boat 'my live-aboard' and put it in a marina that will allow me to live on it?
Old 07-19-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
By liveaboard status, he means a boat that has been granted liveaboard permission....which is currently quite limited in some areas of the country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.