Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006

prospector is on a distinguished road
Is a Free Boat too expensive?

I found someone willing to give away a 1973 Olympic Dolphin 23 ft trailer sailer minus the trailer, engine and sails.

Now I've heard of folks caught in a tight spot trying to get out of a slip at a marina, and I've heard of families where the sailor is forced to part with their boat for health reasons, but this is in a local ad paper that they are advertising that the boat is free to a good home.

Is it just me, or is the price on this too high? Would it be worth checking out? I am a landlubber who has just barely joined the local yacht club.

Our plan was to buy something about 28 - 30 ft two or three years from now and sail the great lakes with the odd trip down the atlantic coast. Could a trailer sailor be another way to ease ourselves into cruising?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A free boat can be too expensive. If the boat has any liens on it, even if you get it for free, you are responsible for any liens that are due on it. Also, if the boat ends up being too far gone to be worth restoring, you're liable for the costs of disposing of the boat. And if the boat was stolen, and you now own it, you could be found guilty of accepting stolen property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-25-2006

Eleanna is on a distinguished road
There is a reason why they are giving it away. Not to sound negative but to many peolpe take a free vehicle and realize to late whats involved in getting it in shape to be utilized.

E.
Old 07-25-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The S&S designed Yankee Dolphin 24 is one of my favorite boats of this size from that era. I believe that the Olympic Dolphins were built from the same design. If the boat has its rig, sails, and engine, it is at least worth a look. People give way boats all the time. There are a lot of reasons that people give away boats.

I'd at least take a look, you have nothing to lose.

Jeff
Old 07-26-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H

I'd at least take a look, you have nothing to lose.

Jeff
I agree with Jeff, nothing wrong with exploring the deal. Ask how it is titled, and research liens accordingly.

Is the Olympic Dolphin the same as the Pacific Dolphin? I know the Yankee
and the Pacific share the same lines. The Yankees were way overbuilt and the Pacific's were of reasonably strong construction. These were both lively little sailors. Real neat little yachts.

Dewey
Old 07-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, if you are interested, there was a very good article in Good Old Boat last year or so on the Dolphin sailboats as a whole.

While I agree that taking a look couldn't hurt, it would be wise to keep the caveats I posted above in mind before doing anything about the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-26-2006
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
He states clearly in his post that this is MINUS trailer, engine, and sails.
This would qualify as too expensive unless you are in the business and have everything available to you.
Old 07-26-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
A free boat can be too expensive. If the boat has any liens on it, even if you get it for free, you are responsible for any liens that are due on it. Also, if the boat ends up being too far gone to be worth restoring, you're liable for the costs of disposing of the boat. And if the boat was stolen, and you now own it, you could be found guilty of accepting stolen property...
These are all good reasons for not taking a free boat. But, IMHO the best reason of all for not taking one is that there is usually a good reason it is free. It usually requires beaucoup dineros even to get it in the water. It is very common for a new sailor to underestimate the cost of getting it ship-shape. In ninety percent of these cases you will probably save money by buying one in better shape where someone has either maintained the boat or has already done the work.
Old 07-26-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Also, sails are very expensive new and what you can find used may have been abandoned for good reason.
Old 07-26-2006

prospector is on a distinguished road
Thank-you all for your replies. I think I will let this one pass. I am hoping that within the yacht club we will hear of other worthwhile deals once we have a better feel for what we want and learn more of what is involved in restoring/maintaining a vessel.

For those who were wondering more about the Olympic Dolphin, this is the only info I could find on them online...

http://dandelionfield.net/dolph2.html

Last edited by prospector; 07-26-2006 at 05:57 PM.