SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Canadian Boats Selling in USA

15K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
A warning for all the Canadians here. I just found out today that a Canadian with a Canadian boat in an American marina cannot legally even show it to prospective buyers. It HAS to be done by a broker.

Specifics are; we went down to Point Roberts to look at a Canadian owned and registered boat. At the border when the guard asked what we were doing and I told him, he pulled us aside and went over the whole thing. Upshot was that WE were not doing anything wrong but the boats owner was - it's regarded as working in the States.

I had assumed that we would have to do the title transfer and so forth in Canada but it goes way beyond that - the entire process has to be done by an American.

Not something to screw around with either - they could lose the boat and be banned from the USA for 10 years if they are caught circumventing the rules.

Reactions: SVTatia and Faster
#2 ·
I was aware of that, actually.. a colleague had to hire a broker to sell a Tanzer 26 he kept in Pt Roberts - not a pleasant prospect for a $3K boat...

Good 'heads up'....

#4 ·
Hadn't heard that one but I have been hearing of canadian boaters having "a hard time" visiting the US. Some say they will not go again. I don't plan on going again myself. Too bad.
We still welcome american yachts and their crews - lets keep on welcoming them and making it a pleasant experience for them.

Reactions: bljones
#5 ·
I'm sure Canadian boaters aren't having any more trouble cruising the US than anyone else. Nothing against Canadians, it's a border thing, after a few thousand innocent friends were killed.

We have a few Canadians that keep their boat in our marina year round. At least one was quite clear he was trying to avoid Canadian taxes and liked sailing New England anyway. He drives 9 hrs to get to his boat!! Wow. Very nice guy.

I'm surprised that selling one's own recreational property is consider working, but I've heard stranger things. Generally written on the backside of someone taking advantage, so everyone has to pay the price.

#8 ·
Okay, I've got to ask a question or two on this one since I intend on buying one of those Canadian-registered boats currently dry-docked in a U.S. marina.

I'm assuming the boat can be taken back to Canadian waters and then sold to said American without any hassles? Seems easy enough, n'est ce pas?

#10 ·
Okay, I've got to ask a question or two on this one since I intend on buying one of those Canadian-registered boats currently dry-docked in a U.S. marina. I'm assuming the boat can be taken back to Canadian waters and then sold to said American without any hassles? Seems easy enough, n'est ce pas?
Hmmm, if you're referring to one that Minnewaska mentions, then it sounds like it may never have been imported into Canada (to avoid Canadian tax). If so, then as soon as it is moved here it will be subject to sales tax (GST and PST). Other than that, no problem that I can see.

#11 ·
After what I just experienced, I'd check with Customs and Border Protection with the specifics. If you get it wrong they can confiscate the boat.

They are not very understanding or flexible either.

#12 ·
Sounds like there's a story there.... :eek:... today's adventure?

#14 ·
Canadians are a bit touchy on that subject after all the bull$hit about them coming in through Canada - even the woman who was made head of Homeland spouted that ignorant $hit.

That was after we took care of all your stranded travellers so it was a bit of a spit in the eye.

#18 ·
What I have been told by many US brokers, is said Canadian boat needs to be taken north across the border, papers signed, the brought south to the US side, US papers at customs taken care of, and away one goes with their new boat.

Would assume, if an American keeps said boat in Canada, same would apply.

Not sure what to say on the Canadian owned boat that has never been to Canada. Would assume sign paperwork down here, and enjoy down this way.

Of course, if this seems to easy, talk to an attorney, or someone with in the appropriate taxing authority office of said state/country or equal.

I will not disCUSS the 9-11 BS, other than to say, like possibly Roosevelt in WWII, more knew what was going to happen that day than one would like to think.

marty

#28 ·
What I have been told by many US brokers, is said Canadian boat needs to be taken north across the border, papers signed, the brought south to the US side, US papers at customs taken care of, and away one goes with their new boat.

Would assume, if an American keeps said boat in Canada, same would apply.

Not sure what to say on the Canadian owned boat that has never been to Canada. Would assume sign paperwork down here, and enjoy down this way.

Of course, if this seems to easy, talk to an attorney, or someone with in the appropriate taxing authority office of said state/country or equal.

I will not disCUSS the 9-11 BS, other than to say, like possibly Roosevelt in WWII, more knew what was going to happen that day than one would like to think.

marty
A canadian boat in the US can be sailed out to international waters and the ownership transferred at that point. No need to go into Canadian waters and get hit with tax and possibly duty. I've done a number of these "deliveries".

Also took a US Fleming 55 from Canada to Michigan and handed the new US owner the papers on US land. There are a number of legal ways around this issue.

#22 ·
Please. Let's stay on topic and stop with the name calling.

This could indeed be read as saying that 9/11 happened because of border issues:

Nothing against Canadians, it's a border thing, after a few thousand innocent friends were killed.

...whether that was Minnewaska's intent or not. Understood that there is still anger over the event but in this specific instance the name calling is misguided.

Reactions: tdw
#26 ·
Hey - this is MY thread and I say STOP IT.

Anybody would think this was SA.

#27 ·
and I second the motion.

Any further posts in this thread that touch on border control, tourism ... sorry cheap George W Bush jibe .... terrorism, Iraq or anything that is even vaguely OffTopic will be deleted.

If it happens too much I'll probably throw a hissy fit.

So there.

#29 ·
Boat poker. Probably for someone like myself, being in the lower salish sea.......it is easier to get to BC than to international waters to change hands. I could see where if one is somewhere else other than where I am per say, international waters is easier. I have heard of that option too. Just did not think about it for where sjb and I are.

Marty

#30 ·
Okay, let's say Stephen Harper owns a CA-registered boat sitting in George W. Bush's backyard marina (run by Rick Perry).
Can non-broker, Rick act on behalf of Stephen just to make the sale legitimate, or do we have to bring in licensed broker, Ted Cruz to make everything official?

#31 ·
I would bring in the smackers to negotiate with these clowns personally. Not sure which side of the fence he is on. but I am way positive a better side of the fence no matter how it is sliced. Then again, maybe a wombat back up would help some too. Heard the breath of a wombat can kill..........

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.