Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007

TAK is on a distinguished road
I sail out out of Deale Maryland on a Caliber 40 (94) that I purchased last year.. I think its a great boat for the bay AND beyond..
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
We have found our asymetric makes a big differance on light days with the sock they aren't all that hard to use. actually alot of fun!

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 01-08-2007
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road
I also sail a Catalina 387 (hull#100) and pland to start cruising offshoure in a year and a half. I am looking between the Caliber 47 and the Jeaneau49DS. I know they are very different but I am driving myself crazy trying to balance the performance and creature comfort of the 49DS vs sea stablility of the Caliber. I am going to post a request for info on those sailing the 49DS but I appreciated reading the replys to you post
john
Old 01-31-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tropic...if you are thinking about a 40LRC as a bay cruiser for weekends, there are better suited boats...but it is designed as a long range cruisr and as such the fuel and water tanks are WELCOME and DESIREABLE. When full...the boat sits on its' lines and so performs as designed. Encapsulated keels have their detractors as do Bolt on Keels...each has problems and advantages. Selecting a cruising boat with "backing into slips" capability as a criteria seems pretty laughable to me. The best backing sailboats I know are the Beneteaus...but I sure would not want to cruise with that rudder...especially the ones which hang down BELOW the keel.
The windward performance is just fine if you are not going racing. More importantly, the motion is sea kindly on a beat.
Check out the Blue Water Sailing review of the boat on the link below. I think the Caliber40 is the least expensive production boat over 35' being made today that is really a suitable platform for blue water voyages.
http://www.caliberyacht.com/PR_40_Op_All_Frm.htm
Old 01-31-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
There has been some discussion about exploding tanks on the LRC. See the Practical Sailor review. This may have been fixed but it does have an excessive amount of tankage for a boat that size.
Old 01-31-2007

conchcruzer is on a distinguished road
Another option

Let me add another option to those considering the Caliber 40 LRC. I was shopping about 3 years ago for a boat to liveaboard and cruise the Caribbean. I started with some general requirements for what I wanted and went shopping from there.

What I wanted was high build quality, big storage, go-anywhere capability, a shoal draft for US East coast and Bahamas, big tankage, something I could ground and sail away without damage, and an easy to handle rig.

In a matter of months, I found the Caliber LRC 40, 38' Cabo Rico, 40' Valiant, 42' Valiant, 40' Island Packet and 42' Island Packet most closely suited my tastes and needs.

I shopped the market pretty hard. I came close to really liking the Caliber, but found the nav station, master berth "desk", and some interior materials and finish to be unimpressive compared to the Island Packet. I really liked the idea of big tankage on the LRC, but was turned off by the rest of the package.

In the end, I bought a 1999 Island Packet 40 and am very happy with it. I've seen many IP's and Calibers down island, so both are obviously capable. Unfortunately, you won't find a new IP40. The replacement for the 40 was the 420. Prices on the 420, even for the same model year as my 40, are typically 100-200k higher. Take a look at a used 40. Side by side, the IP40 is much bigger and has equal if not more storage. She holds 90 gallons of diesel and 170 gallons of water--less than the LRC but probably twice that of a Catalina.

My boat has encapsulated lead in the keel, handles well (though definitely a learning curve dockside), and will keep pace or pull away from nearly all the boats I've cruised with.

Best Wishes,
Dan Forter
S/V Eventyr
www.ipphotos.com/eventyr
Old 02-01-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
The fuel tanks are not part of the hull per say they are bonded to the hull as part of the grid. http://caliberyacht.com/Features_Str...ain_Window.htm as far as I know the only way to rupture a tank in a caliber or in any boat for that matter would be to shut off or plug the vents then fill the tank to deck level.
As far as too much fuel I don't think thats an isue they do make stabilizers with biocides that every one should be useing unless you motor so much you always have fresh fuel. I like the fact that I could if need be motor for 1400 miles. You can top off win its cheap and skip it win its expensive. and of course Its preferable to carry your fuel low in the hull other than lashed to your life lines in gerry cans.
The nav station is cramped but I would rather be wedged in to work win its rough than be trying to hang on and plot at the same time.
The bigist mistake they made on the boat was calling it a 40 its really a 39 and it actually started as a 38. I think all boats should be designated by water line length but that wouldn'nt be near as impressive. as haveing that 40 on the side boats are all compromises if the shoe dont fit don't buy it. We love our boat it comes as close to fitting the bill for us that we could find. it is not perfect. The perfect boat is out in the nether world right inbetween the unicorn and the locheness monster.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 02-06-2007

TAK is on a distinguished road
Tropic..
Every boat is a tradeoff.. if you are that pre-occupied w/ encapsulated keels than you should avoid them .. Personally I have never thot of a Sabre - an excellent boat, as the offshore type but there are alot of boats out there that are not "offshore" that seem to be doing fine.

I chose my Caliber in part for its underbody that was designed similar to Perrys' Valiants... Keel and all.
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 02-06-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe
Been looking at the Caliber LRC 40 also but am getting steered away from them a little at a time. Not really looking for a iron and concrete keel to say the least. The backing ability of these boats are not up to par if you plan on doing any backing into a slip during a blow.
The fuel tanks that are built in are part of the hull and sized so large as to promote algae growth if fuel is not used. Full water and fuel tanks make this boat sit low in the water and windward performance is stated to be awful.
I thought Calibers had encapsulated lead keels. Encapsulted Iron is a bad idea. That's one reason I don't like the Passport 40, although it is fine in other respects. Any water that may seep in and it will overtime can cause reactions that will dissolve the iron.
Old 02-06-2007

FritzN is on a distinguished road
Iron & Concrete Keel

I was in Beaufort, NC just last week to test sail a Caliber 40, and was told the same thing -- encapsulated iron & concrete. It's a big problem for me.

Fritz