Prindle 19, am I being foolish as my first boat? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-15-2015 Thread Starter

Prindle 19, am I being foolish as my first boat?

I've been checking out a good condition Prindle 19 cat as my first sailboat. Am I a fool to think I can handle and rig it as a total beginner. I've been on a rental cat once but didn't have a clue about sailing then...and it was 12 years ago. I would normally be sailing it with a friend and maybe his wife. I'm 170, hes 155, and his wife is maybe 95. I'm 30 years old.

At this point I'm a little ahead from being a total beginner in that my dad used to sail a little bit and I've been reading and watching instructional videos every day for the past month ever since I've come to Florida and realized right away this is something I wanted to do. So no experience, but at least getting in the ballpark on the basics.

In general I'm pretty coordinated and pick up new skills quickly, I just want to make sure it's a platform I'm not going to kill myself on while I get my bearings. I'm assuming I can just go out in really calm winds and just not trim the sail in completely to limit the speed.

Theres not a lot of internet info on the Prindle 19 what I can find seems positive. I still havent been able to find if its foam core or not on the hulls though.

I'm up in Ocala, Forida. Would probably spend most of the time on Lake George.

Last edited by TAMUmpower; 02-15-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-15-2015
Last Man Standing

Re: Prindle 19, am I being foolish as my first boat?

Heck no! Go for it. I LOVE sailing beachcats! Even when I sail them onto the rocks like a moron!!!

Seriously, they are a freakin' blast.

My beachcat is a weird hybrid of a Prindle and a Hobie. It's called a Spirit 17...

And I brought it back from a rotting hulk in a field:

Flying a hull is just about the best feeling ever.
aeventyr60 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #3 of 25 Old 02-15-2015

Go for it. You will be fine. Sounds like a fun way to learn. If Smackdaddy can do it...
smackdaddy likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #4 of 25 Old 02-15-2015 Thread Starter

Thats awesome. I'm all about fixing stuff myself, cars, bikes, a toaster, you name it. I've just never owned a boat and wouldnt know what I'm getting myself into if the condition was poor.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-15-2015
Last Man Standing

Like aev said...if I can fix one up to bristol condition and sail it onto the rocks - you can too!
aeventyr60 likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #6 of 25 Old 02-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMUmpower View Post
Thats awesome. I'm all about fixing stuff myself, cars, bikes, a toaster, you name it. I've just never owned a boat and wouldnt know what I'm getting myself into if the condition was poor.
Nobody ever does. Just the first class of your schooling on messing about in boats.
A funny scene on fixing stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-16-2015

I did very little sailing when I was a teen, Sunfish and a basic sailing dinghy and later on , went out a couple times with my brother on his Santana 22. That's all the sailing I did until I bought my first boat when I was 40. A Catalina 30.
BTW, I never watched a sailing video or read a sailing "how to" book.

Catalina 34
post #8 of 25 Old 02-16-2015
I break <-> I fix

Accept that you WILL flip the boat, and you WILL get quite wet, and everyone will have a good time. Maybe a baby bob float on the mast head until you get a feel for it, but otherwise it won't be "boring sailing." Lots of good things can be said about going fast on a reach, and being able to beach the boat to get back.

"Rum Line" an S2 7.9 - cheap, fast, trailerable, and paid for.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-16-2015
Oday30!

Larger boats are not a bad choice as a first boat. Anyone saying small is easy is downplaying how complicated it is to handle a small boat, which can be more difficult. For example, how to come into dock, steer, reach over transom playing with the outboard fwd rev neut... While getting lines ready, watching other boats, and not getting overwhelmed. My. 1st was a 23ft, TOO SMALL

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #10 of 25 Old 02-16-2015

Looks like the Prindle 19 is a pretty quick racing boat. If you're ambitious and start out in less wind, especially with 2-3 people you should be able to figure it out. The difference that matters between a slow cat and an a fast cat isn't so much the top speed, it's how fast things happen. We went from a Hobie Getaway to a Hobie Tiger. It took a lot more focus & attention to handle the Tiger, especially with any gusts. The slower, heavier Getaway just didn't throw us in the water on a whim as easier.

But you'll probably be fine. Make sure you know how to right it when you dump it. You'll learn pretty quickly what it feels like just before it dumps you or pitchpole. We didn't have any lessons, just bought a boat & a book (Catamaran Sailing: From Start to Finish by Berman, Phil). That was about 8 years ago and now we're cruising the Caribbean on our own boat. When you finally get bored, grab a copy of Catamaran Racing: For the 90's to up your game.

Beach cats are a heck of a lot of fun and you'll learn a ton of sailing skills.

HR34

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.