SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   J-30 Questions....opinions? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/1899-j-30-questions-opinions.html)

VIEXILE 08-07-2001 07:54 AM

J-30 Questions....opinions?

I''m looking at an older J-30 (haven''t seen it yet). I''ve got access to good priced hardware, cordage, etc. and am BEGGING everyone to regale me with what could be wrong with this thing. It''s in the caribbean and will probably be used for moderate racing/weekending. I live here year-round. I''ve cruised for years and know glass, rigging, etc., but don''t know exactly what to look for in a reasonably capable racer and what can be done to improve performance hull-wise. New sails probably goes without saying. I ''spect this one is rough. Asking $7,500. Keel bolts my first concern. After that, I can pretty much fix anything. What do I look for and where? KW

JeffH 08-07-2001 09:23 AM

First of all, I am not a huge fan of J-30''s. They are have cramped cockpits and poor deck layouts even in the current optomized forms. They are notorious for having mega-huge areas of core rot in the hull and deck.

When I think of what I would expect in a J-30 that is for sale for in the Carribean for $7,500. I would expect that it would need to have large sections of the hull and deck recored. Standing and running rigging is probably shot. The engine is probably in need of at least a rebuild. The sails are probably well past useable condition as a raceboat or worse. I''d expect that the interior is probably a wreck and the woodwork needs serious attention. Fuel and water tanks could be at the end of their useable lifespans.

Now, if you add some proportion of all of this up, figuring that you can buy things at cost and do your own work, I figure that you could still easily buy a J-30 in near perfect shape for less.

Jeff

VIEXILE 08-07-2001 09:55 AM

You''re undoubtedly right, but my biggest concern was finding out where the problems lie. My experience is in heavy cruisers, solid glass hulls, etc. I hadn''t considered a cored hull, dammit. What about the J-27''s, 28''s, 29''s 35''s, etc. ? What''s the best (or a good) cross-over between racing (CRS ratings, remember - no PHRF down here anymore) and weekending (not necessarily a J-boat)? I''m talking a "tent" rather than a cruising layout. I''d only buy this thing if I could steal it and it was moderately and safely usable now. It''d be used in the Heinekens ''round here and Rolex. Winning is NOT the goal, but would be nice. Engine rebuilds I can do blindfolded - in my old boat, I might as well have been. I have someone, who must remain nameless, from New England who''ll come down on my ticket and help whip this thing into shape hardware and racing hull-wise. The potential hull problem, though, was the answer I was looking for. The rest of it goes without saying as far as sails, running and standing rigging go. If the hull and deck are close to solid and the keel bolts are something that are either in good shape or reasonably replaceable, I might take a cheap shot at this thing. Otherwise, it''s VERY expensive to get a boat here from the real world, and I don''t plan to do it. ($7,500 for the "sinking boat" out of Florida; $4,000 on deck; PLUS haul, launch and transport in between). Believe me. I''ve checked out every shipping option and delivery possibility, and don''t have the time to do it myself.

JeffH 08-07-2001 06:00 PM

J-29''s and J-27''s have done well down there. I really don''t like sailing J-27''s as much as the J-29''s. J-36''s have a juicy rating under PHRF and can often be bought pretty cheaply. J-35''s can sometimes be bought in raced hard and put away wet condition for something in the low high $30K range but putting one of those back together can be a lot more expensive than the boats your considering.

Jeff

VIEXILE 08-08-2001 05:17 AM

Gawd I hate buying boats as much as I hate selling them. However, I love working on them (to a reasonable point - at least in comparison to working on the house) and long-distance cruising.

JeffH 08-10-2001 02:49 AM

Bob- I have always like the looks of the J-33. On the Chesapeake the J-33''s were owed a little time (9 or 12 secs I can''t remember which) by the 35''s but were not able to save their time. There was a very well funded and crewed effort in one of the 33''s that really never did very well on the race course. Have you been able to beat the J-35''s on corrected time? On the east coast, J-33''s are more expensive than most 35''s.

The 33 is an interesting boat, closer in design theory to the J-27 and to the J-125 than to most of the rest of the J''s. The one thing about the 35 is that it really had better accomodations down below. While neither have great headroom, on the 35 the headroom extended past the head and into the forward cabin. On the 33 the head does not have headroom if I remember right.

Interesting boats though.

Regards
Jeff

JeffH 08-11-2001 06:09 AM

I have spoken to a fellow who raced on one (The owner of that boat has moved on to a J-145)The impression that I got is that they can be sailed to thier rating but it really takes a top notch crew on top of things all of the time.

J-boats seems to periodically come out with what I call their narrow series. I think of the J-27 as being sort of the first of that design philosophy. I see the J-125 as a logical extension of that series. There is real merit to a narrow boat but it comes at some big prices. In the case of the J-125 some of these compromises are less relevant bvecause it is designed to be an out and out raceboats sailed by a large crew. I am not a big fan of that kind of thinking because all raceboats become obsolete at some point, and you have to wonder about the value in creating a boat that is designed to such a narrow market. (Anyone want to buy a good used IOR one tonner?)

Regards
Jeff

JeffH 08-11-2001 12:54 PM

I''ll try to get you his email address. I don''t know this fellow too well. We ended up in the same crew setting up to go racing on a Farr designed 40.7. When the wind died we had plenty of time for chatting and he had specnt a fair amount of time on board the Strabos as he works at AOL with Strabo''s owner if I remember correctly.

Regards
Jeff

JeffH 08-22-2001 02:54 AM

I have not caught up with Mary to get the guys email address. I think that I have her address and so I will try to email her and get his. If you email me your Email address I will try to put him directly in touch with you.

Regards
Jeff

burr.halpern@annapolis.net