Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2001

114 is on a distinguished road
What do I buy??????????

We are new to sailing and we are taking lessons. There are 3 in the family and we''ve been looking at 26 footers. We want a day sailer with the possibility for short overnighters. I''ve been recommended the Mirage, C&C, and Grampian. What do you think? Which is best?
Also, what do you think; inboard or outboard, gas or diesel, wheel or tiller. I''ve got a million other questions but I''ll start here. Any other advice would be a bonus.
Thanks alot, D.D.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2001
JeffH

What do I buy??????????

The Mirage and the C&C are both nice boats. They are both good boats to learn on and are reasonably well built. The Grampian is a big step down in quality and sailing ability (and seem to be a small step down on price.)
Jeff
Old 08-17-2001

Waterline is on a distinguished road
What do I buy??????????

I found myself in the same circumstance not too long ago. I ended up buying a Catalina Capri 26 after much review and suggestions from the great people here on SailNet. I opted to go with outboard for expense and ease of repair (if necessary). Tiller vs wheel seems to give a great feel for piloting and ease of handling. There have been times I have used the tiller with rudder to "paddle" the boat. The 26 has enough room to be comfortable at anchor, underway, and at the dock. The size and wing keel keeps heeling to a minimum (10-20 degrees) in mild winds less than 25 knotts. All lines are led to the cockpit for ease of handling.
Whatever your choice..Best of luck and fair winds!
Michael
Old 09-13-2001

wrigby is on a distinguished road
What do I buy??????????

Better decide on how much you can spend and where you are going to keep it (slip or trailer). Assuming a slip, the Oday 26,27 or 272 are nice boats for daysailing/short cruises for from $5000 to 15,000. We had a 272 for 8 years with two teenagers.
Old 09-23-2001

Wensum is on a distinguished road
What do I buy??????????

The overriding factor in buying a boat is to try to get one designed for the waters in which you will mostly sail. Boats designed for the Med do not do so well in Atlantic waters, one designed in Maine could pitch and bob horribly in the English Channel.
Seek advice from people who have crewed on the sort of boat you are looking for, or better who have borrowed or chartered one. It''s not much use asking the owner (it''s like asking his opinion about his wife).
Old 09-23-2001

audbydez is on a distinguished road
What do I buy??????????

Wensum

This is the first time I do not understand someone''s post. I never heard of production naval architects designing yachts for a specific region - specific purpose but rarely region.

I do not think that because Tartans, for example are built in Ohio, that they should be sailed only on the Great Lakes. Does Maine never get choppy seas or gale force winds? I remember something about a "Perfect Storm" somewhere! By the way - I hardly think that a Saber Yacht, (properly outfitted), would "bob horribly in the English Channel". If it did, then everyone else would be for sure. And what is so different about sailing in the Med versus the Atlantic - except for the fact that a lot of men & women in the Med wear thongs.

It is my belief that a good architect would consider a balance of features in his/her design such as: hull integrity, solid rigging, reasonable light air performance as well as the ability to withstand gale force winds. It would also seem logical that no architect would want his boats purchsed in only one location. The manufacturer would be out of business quite quickly.

What I believe you may have wanted to convey is that majority of the boats features and the way it gets rigged should conform more to the area in which you sail. It would seem illogical to put heavy weight, (9 - 10 oz), dacron cruising sails on boats sailed only in summer on Long Island Sound.

Also, you assume that all owners selling their yachts are dishonest about how the boat sails. I, for one, resent it.

Asking others about how a particular model sails is always a good decision. And so is making the purchase subject to a sea trial. Sea trials don''t have to be limited to 15 minutes. When you get to that point and you''ve submitted your deposit, a full day of sailing is definitely in order. Also, it''s a good idea to be sure the surveyor does a sea trial as part of his survey and that you go with him/her.

Well - that''s my opinion.

Captain Ron
Old 09-24-2001

kms is on a distinguished road
What do I buy??????????

I am looking for a used sailboat in the 32 to 35'' range. Is there some kind of data or book that will tell me the difference between a racer and a cruiser? Example is a Peterson a better racer or cruiser; what about the C&C''s ? or the Ericisons?