Should you expect to haul out a boat that is in the water when shopping? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-16-2015 Thread Starter
learning to sail 2015

Should you expect to haul out a boat that is in the water when shopping?

This is a given right? Anybody that has a boat tied at a pier that is selling should expect that the boat gets hauled before purchasing?

What tips would you give to have a mechanic diagnose a non working diesel inboard? Would a surveyor take care of that as part of inspection? Would the mechanic need to boat hauled out to assess the repairs or would they be able to do it with the boat in the water?

Newbie, taking basic keelboat this summer 2015 on Long Island Sound. 42 year old father of 3
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-16-2015
Just another Moderator

Re: Should you expect to haul out a boat that is in the water when shopping?

Generally a haulout is part of the pre-purchase survey routine.

Surveyors will rarely asses an engine beyond physical appearance. Engine repairs should be 'do-able' while in the water, as would an assessment or estimate. Some sail drive scenarios may require hauling for some of the work. Dripless seals can be problematic if the engine is removed 'in the water'.

Diesels are pretty simple..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 19 Old 03-16-2015

what size boat? what price range? inboard, so 28' and up? non running engine so older boat?
the way it works is you agree on a price and make a deposit, then you have the option to haul the boat and have a survey. if you still want and it is safe to operate then you can sea trial. all at the buyers expense. This can vary on less expensive boats. non running engine to most people would be a sign to run away but if you know engines you could get a good deal. I would subtract at least 5k for non running depending on the engine model and make new one start at 15k installed

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"FULL TILT" SOVEREL 33
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #4 of 19 Old 03-16-2015

You don't have any "rights" to the boat until an offer to purchase is made with sufficient provisions for inspection and other provisos. Whether the engine is included in the survey will depend on the qualifications of the surveyor. Generally the engine is included in a separate survey conducted by a specifically qualified surveyor.
I would treat a "non-working diesel" as no engine at all and discount its replacement cost in the offering price.
John
post #5 of 19 Old 03-16-2015

Yup, you need a specialized diesel inspection. Even then, they don't typically provide much certainty. There is no way one could offer a fixed survey price to tell you what is wrong with a inop motor. They may figure it out in a few minutes or take an entire weekend of disassembly.

Very strange scenario that a boat is being offered with an inop inboard. First thing I ask myself is "what else wasn't properly maintained, even though it might be working at the moment" Always look for her story.

You will certainly haul the boat out of the water for survey inspection, at your expense, after you have an accepted offer on a boat. It's healthy to expect to pay for at least one you reject before finding the right boat. Hopefully not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-16-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtang View Post
This is a given right? Anybody that has a boat tied at a pier that is selling should expect that the boat gets hauled before purchasing?
No, nothing is "a given," everything is negotiable. A common condition of any offer is that the boat will be hauled and surveyed (or launched and surveyed) at the buyer's expense.

Quote:
What tips would you give to have a mechanic diagnose a non working diesel inboard? Would a surveyor take care of that as part of inspection? Would the mechanic need to boat hauled out to assess the repairs or would they be able to do it with the boat in the water?
I would have the surveyor verify the make and model engine. I would then verify whether or not the engine will turn over. If it won't turn over, then you may have use for it as a mooring.

Then you should preform a compression test on all cylinders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #7 of 19 Old 03-16-2015

For me, A sea trial on a breezy day is a requirement. Does it leak with the rail under? How does she steer and tack? The motion? How the does the sail handling gear work under load? Are the sails blown out?

There are too many boats out there for me to take the risk. Of course, the owner or broker could sail it out.

Pretty dumb way to sell a boat. Expect other problems.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

post #8 of 19 Old 03-16-2015 Thread Starter
learning to sail 2015

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm learning so this is only good practice at this point.

I'm reading through the Boat Inspection Trip Tips as a guide, are there other good recent posts to check out?

* The engine won't turn over. It could be a replacement situation for whoever buys it (if not me).

* This one is a 1980 Pearson 30', ~$6K, I haven't done enough research to tell if this has been discounted or not for the engine.

* $15K for a replacement engine? I didn't think it would be that much, I guess the rule to go buy is to triple the equipment cost? I guess that is a rule of thumb for pretty much all work, it just seems like a lot of labor for an install/retrofit to me, but I'm clueless

* How do you tell if the sails are blown out (newb question).

Newbie, taking basic keelboat this summer 2015 on Long Island Sound. 42 year old father of 3
post #9 of 19 Old 03-16-2015

I don't know the yards in your area directly, I can tell you that nearby in RI and MA you'd be paying $90 something/hour for labor. Let's round up to $100 to make the math easy. Let's say 2 person weeks effort to re-power. Why so much, take the old engine out, probably throw out the wiring, probably move the engine mounts which are rotted so you'll get new ones and need to glass them in to fit the new power plant, you'll want new wet muffler (the old ones rotted) and exhaust. You'll want a new control panel. While you're messing around you'll find the thru hull for the engine intake needs to be replaced, you're there anyway so, and some bulkhead will be in the way, and you'll notice that the fuel tank is full of crud so you'll want to replace it, the water separator filter is old, replace that too, might as well replace the fuel line, how old are the batteries......

You get the idea. 80 hours, at 100/hr = 8K. Another 7K worth of parts, you're easily at 15K (not sure what an engine this size costs, but you'll need a surprising amount of other stuff too).

Unless you love it, and it's perfect in every other way, find one with an engine that works and a higher ask. Particularly for new buyers, recommend you find a boat that's regularly used by a meticulous owner, you'll pay more up front but you'll save in the end. The only people who beat this equation are skilled and persistent do it yourselfers. I'm sure one or more of them will chime in after reading this.
sirtang likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
sirtang (03-16-2015)
post #10 of 19 Old 03-16-2015
Learning the HARD way...

1979 Pearson 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com $3500 - motor installation needs to be finished.
1981 Pearson Flyer- project boat Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com $4200 - Outboard
1981 Pearson 30 Flyer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com $7500

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.