Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2001

114 is on a distinguished road
JeffH.

Jeff.
Thanks very much for the advice over the last few day''s. I really appreciate it. I''ve learned alot since I discovered this site. I look forward to talking with you again. By the way, I''m from Toronto.
Talk with you soon.
Dan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
JeffH.

jeff,
what boat do you sail?
eric
Old 08-12-2001
JeffH

JeffH.

I currently sail (and have for sale) a Laser 28 but I am in the process of purchasing a Farr 38. I hope to close next week on the Farr 38.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2001
JeffH

JeffH.

Actually re-reading your question, I am guessing that you are trying to get a handle on my point of view on boats as it pertains to the basis of my comments. For my own boats, currently I frankly tend to prefer higher performance cruising boats. These tend to be at the ''racier'' edge of what most people would call cruising boats. I love wooden and traditional yachts and I''ve actually owned a few. These days I don''t have the taht kind of time to spend on older boats But I spend a lot of time sailing on boats that represent a pretty wide range of styles and types of boats.

So, I guess the answer is that I have sail on a lot of boats. I personally have owned 10 boats not including the Farr 38 that I am buying. They are as varied as a 1939 Stadel Pilot Class Cutter or a 1949 lapstrake Folkboat, to my current Kevlar/vinylester Farr designed Laser 28. Between my Father, mother and brother, members of my family have owned a more than a dozen additional boats. I often go out and race or sail with people on their boats. So for example in the past year, I have been out on a Gaff rigged Herreschoff 12 1/2 (Doughdish), a 16 foot custom built wooden, lug ketch rigged sailing canoe, a JY15, a 23 foot Dias designed custom built wooden gaff rigged sloop, Cal 25, Catalina 27, Ross 930, Tartan 31, J-105''s, Beneteau 38s5, Farr 11.6, a Farr designed Beneteau 40.7 and a Brewer 12.8.

As a hobby and just to be helpful, I also help people who are looking to buy boats (I am not a broker). As a result I end up aboard a lot of boats. This year for example, for myself or on the request of others, I have been through a detailed ''first look'' at a Dehler 34, Pearson 35, Alberg 35, J-35, J-36, Express 37, Farr 38/11.6, Hunter 30,Tripp 38, Tripp 41, Custom Farr 40 (not the one design). I had surgery this spring so it has not been a particularly active sailing year for me.

At different times in my life, I have also worked as a yacht designer or in boat yards. This has given me a lot of detailed exposure (more than I prefer to have had sometimes) to the way that boats are built. I also used to do most of my own maintenance and so, being outgoing, I have also spent a lot of time helping other people make repairs to thier boats. This too has helped shape my opinions.

Is that what you were asking?
Regards
Jeff
Old 08-12-2001

JeffH.

wow,
what a great response to a short question !
i enjoy your answers to many questions.
they are very helpful to all who read them.

fyi i own a tartan 37 that i personally rebuilt from the hull up.
i replaced everything except the mast, boom, sinks , hatch frames ,and water heater.
all else is new and personally installed.
the only outside work was the paint job.

i sail offshore and am currently on long island getting ready to head south again.

did you seee the website of kimberlite?
and the video of us sailing in a gail?

fair winds
eric freedman wb2cwd
t-37 kimberlite
Old 08-12-2001
JeffH

JeffH.

Thanks for the kind words. No, I think that I missed the website for Kimberlite. Its quite an experience rebuilding a boat. I rebuilt a Folkboat back in the 1970''s (sistered frames,keelbolts, rig, rudder, a piece of the stem, some planking, floor timbers, a new interior, and cockit) That was a small simple boat. I can only admire someone who would take on, and more significantly finish restoring a boat as large and complex as a Tartan 37. My hats off to you.

Respectfully
Jeff
Old 08-12-2001

JeffH.

jeff,
take a look at http://kimberlite1.homestead.com
there is a video of us going south last fall in 30 footers with just a storm jib out.
the slidesare of kimberlite in bermuda and some shots coming home fom st thomas via bermuda.
if you would like to see more e-mail me back channel and i will send you the link to the tartan 37 site where they have some shots of kimberlite being rebuilt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.