SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Frers F&C 44

43K views 74 replies 25 participants last post by  Daniel S M 
#1 ·
Frers F&C 44

I am trying to find more informatin on the Frers & Cybils 44. These were made in Argintina around 1980. I would appreciate any information or feedback.
Regards, James

#2 ·
F&c 44

Hallo James,
if I am correct, your question about F&C 44 is very old and still without answer. I joint the sailnet community yesterday and found your post.
If your still interested in Information concerning this wonderfull boat,
please send me a new post. I am owner of Hull-Nr. K-16 since 1990.
Regards, K. Holthoefer

#69 ·
F&c 44

Hallo James,
if I am correct, your question about F&C 44 is very old and still without answer. I joint the sailnet community yesterday and found your post.
If your still interested in Information concerning this wonderfull boat,
please send me a new post. I am owner of Hull-Nr. K-16 since 1990.
Regards, K. Holthoefer
Hello - I Thea Hull-Nr 57 - I’d like to know more of the F&C 44 Atlantic crossings and other long distance voyages if there’s anyone out there that has the stories?

#4 ·
F&c 44

Hallo Ken Dacey,

nice to hear from you. Internet information about our rare boats is hardly
to find. I was always interested to find other owners to chare the
experience in refit effort.
My boat "Marlin" was build in 1979/80 an shipped on deck to England.
I bought the boat in 1990 at the "Costa del Sol" of Spain and brought it
to the Baltic Sea . As usual the hard sun and very salty water of the
mediterranean sea caused a poor condition.
Over the years I changed nearly everything including teak-decks and
engine ( I changed even the position from owners cabin to main companionway). Today the boat looks fine, like about 5 years old.
Hoping that you will tell me about "Aria" as well.
Best regards
Klaus Holthoefer

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Klaus and Ken,
I am looking at a 1982 Frers 44 F.and C. built ketch at the moment and would like to know as much about them as possible. Longevity (assuming decent care), sailing abilities, etc. Email is renovate it 85 @ hot mail . com ( Just eliminate all the spaces shown here.)
Regards, Lee

#7 ·
F&c 44

Hallo Lee,
as I am owner of a 1980 build example since nearly 20 years, there is some
experience to share. I will not be able to tell you all about my time with this beauty in this Mail.
Like every loving owner I will go into raptures bout her sailing abilities in rough see. On the other hand she is not a racer and not as quick as modern
"cruiser racers". Best is the range between 40 and 150° apparent wind direction. The hull is very strong and yet I did not hear about osmosis problems. On the other hand a nearly 30 years old boat needs for shure
a lot of refit work. On such a beautifull classic you might have the chance to get some of the money back in the end but I would never count on it.
Best is to send me a list of concrete questions.
I look forward to hear from you

regards Klaus

#9 ·
F&c 44

Hello All,

I'll second the opinions off Klaus and Ken, the F&C 44 is a beautiful boat and gets admiring comments everywhere she goes. I have owned ONYX, hull #23 since 2007 and have found the maintenance issues no worse and perhaps less than any other 30 year old boat, due in large part to the excellent maintenance from the PO. The biggest project so far was rewiring the shore power and replacing the DC panel with modern circuit breakers, not unusual in a boat of this age. The teak decks and varnished woodwork do take time to maintain but the results are worth it.
Klaus, I would like to hear from you on what was involved in moving the engine from the owners cabin to under the main companionway. I know later F&C 44's were built that way but it must be a tight fit.

Regards,
Steve H

#10 ·
F&c 44

Hallo Steve,

first of all nice to hear from you and your positive experience.
Moving the engine was necessary to get rid of the nasty hydraulic
power connection to the prop. The pressure tube broke three times
during the first 12 years of my ownership and always in difficult situations.
When the connection breaks there is all of a sudden no stearing control.
That happened two times in the Northern to Baltic sea canal with a lot
of big ship traffic. Moreover you will find some liters of oil in the bilge too.
I bought a new Perkins Sabre 65 which fit perfectly underneath the companionway. Space is quite narrow around, but the modern engines are fortunately smaller. The new position is better for weight balance. More important is the much more direct power after switching the gear. It makes turning in small harbours much easier.
Greatings
Klaus

#11 ·
Hello Klaus,

Could you please tell me which pressure tube broke? Was it the same all three times, was it the hose itself or one of the fittings? I will be repowering this spring and have ordered a new Beta Marine 43 to replace the original Perkins 4-108 along with a new hydraulic pump, motor and hoses. So far after three seasons I have found the hydraulic system reliable but your experience has me concerned.

Steve H

#12 ·
F&c 44

Hello Steve,

because of a leakage in the hydraulic system, which I realised after the purchase, I decided for a new installation in 1991. The exchange concerned all tubes including fittings and the pump at the prop (shaft). It was a quite expensive decision.
As I already told, the tube broke three times and as far as I remember always near the new pump (at the prop shaft).
And near the fitting where the tube came out in a bow.
2002 the whole installation was replaced and I never had any problem with the engine again.
Regards
Klaus

#14 ·
Steve H / Onyx,
Steve I'm from NY, LIS area and wondering if you keep ONYX near Huntinton as there is a dodger manufactuer there that I'm considering using. At present my boat, Amandolin, will be in the Chesapeake through June and I'll be heading Down East early July and will only be passing through the LIS for a brief time. Thought if He could look at your boat he might be able to rake measurements. I can be reached at (bsmithy2k -- aol --- com)
Bob Smith
S/V Amandolin

#18 ·
F&c 44 #12

I have just heard about this thread.
I own 1979 Hull #12, I love this beautiful boat, but just like any other love affair, it is not perfect.
I did have a hydraulic hose burst at the worst possible time in a very tight anchorage, going against a fast moving tide all forward momentum was lost. Best recommendation always carry a sharp knife to cut the anchor loose fast.
I am currently having problems with the original 4-108 and would be very interested in engine replacement recommendations, particularly if it could included the elimination of the hydraulic transmission. I am not quite clear how there is room to place the engine forward without major carpentry.
Also I did have a full dodger installed which I felt was badly needed.
Kiskedee originally from the East Coast now lives in Morro Bay California. I am not sure if there are any other F&C 44's located on the West Coast since Roy Disney's Shamrock was sold.
Peter B.
Morro Bay, California

#19 ·
Hydraulik

Dear Peter B., I had this problem 3 times till I changed the system.
Later hulls have the engine below the main companionway. I bought a new
Perkins Sabre M65 and had it installed in this position. But I have to admit
it was a big deal. Calculate the cost of a new engine at least twice for the complete installation.

#20 ·
Repowering the F&C44

Hello Tackorjibe, #19 here, Rye, NY sorry not near you!
We're in process of repowering. Staying with the hydraulics, far less wear and tear on the shaft and bearing, and couldn't imagine the cost of moving the inards of the boat around although sounds like a good solution if you don't like the hydraulics. Looks like we'll install a Yanmar53hp.
Last thread is correct, double the price of the engine.

SKYE #19
EC Hoffman

#22 ·
Peter/Kiskedee,
my experience concerning costs might not be representative for the US, but maybe this is an interesting relation/comparison:
when I bought #K16 in 1990 I realized an oil leakage. I had one hydraulik pump and all the tubes renewed. Replacing of the whole hydraulik installation was round about the price for a new Perkins.
After this repair I faced the delight of three (3) times burst, when all of a sudden there was no stearing control at all.
2002 The new Perkins Sabre M 65 came into the new position below the companionway. The price was 2,5 X the engine. It was worth every single Euro.
Especially manoevering in narrow harbours is much more fun.
So don't waste your money for a half repair.
Regards Klaus/hull#k16, Baltic Sea

#23 ·
Peter/Kiskedee,
my experience concerning costs might not be representative for the US, but maybe this is an interesting relation/comparison:
when I bought #K16 in 1990 I realized an oil leakage. I had one hydraulik pump and all the tubes renewed. Replacing of the whole hydraulik installation was round about the price for a new Perkins.
After this repair I faced the delight of three (3) times burst, when all of a sudden there was no stearing control at all.
2002 The new Perkins Sabre M 65 came into the new position below the companionway. The price was 2,5 X the engine. It was worth every single Euro.
Especially manoevering in narrow harbours is much more fun.
So don't waste your money for a half repair. Get a fixed cost estimate.
Regards Klaus/hull#k16, Baltic Sea

#24 ·
Klaus,
Thank you for your insights.
I don't know the space required for a new modern engine but I’m still not clear how it could fit under the companion way, did you have to modify the forward ladder or the aft head bulkhead? I do not know if it is possible but some photos would be great.
Peter
Kiskedee, K-12

#25 ·
Peter,
yes you have to modify the ladder and the bulkhead in the lower area below the mirror. The sliding door has to be shortened (if there is one).
All this modifications were realized on later hulls at least from 1983.
I could send photos if you give me your e-mail address.
The tanks have to be moved into the position of the old engine underneath the cockpit. Even the stern tube has to be moved a little bit.
Regards Klaus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.