Thoughts on this one? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-24-2015 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Thoughts on this one?

Used 1999 Beneteau 36, Palm Beach, Fl - 33410 - BoatTrader.com

We are looking at this one tomorrow morning. We stopped at the dock last weekend and viewed it from the dock - it is beautiful. If you have any thoughts or experience please chime in. Thanks!

Do or do not... There is no try.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-24-2015
Reward for lost Kraken!

Re: Thoughts on this one?

"Center Cockpit has high coming,"

Do tell...They're getting a massive pot delivery?

And that big stern bar is going to add 2-3' to the overall length when you're at a lot of marinas, as compared to stock. FWIW.
CarbonSink62 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-24-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

My first thoughts re a 36' CC were .... how does that work ? Is she going to look awfully top heavy ? After a closer look at the pics I must say she is quite impressive. I figure stowage space will be limited, it often is on a small CC but damn she does look comfortable. No pics of the aft cabin.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #4 of 18 Old 04-24-2015

Are you sure you want to live with those cockpit "comings"? They're a classic feature of a boat designed from the inside/out...

Try to picture moving in and out of that cockpit on a regular basis, what it would be like to bring gear or provisions aboard... It would be difficult for most to straddle those coamings while carrying anything, for instance. Forget about the utility of that measly step cut out into the outboard side of the coaming, it's probably more likely to produce a slip or a fall, than anything else...

And, don't get me started on the potential risk of moving from that cockpit to the side decks offshore, or in a seaway... Or, even in a peaceful anchorage, after a few Sundowners... :-)

She does appear to be in great shape, certainly is a lot of accommodation space packed into 36 feet... without knowing your intended use, it's difficult to say much more, I'm sure tdw is right as regards minimum storage for any sort of gear for more extended cruising... Lazarette/sail locker space seems minimal, you might have to get somewhat 'creative' with stowing deck gear, like this guy... :-)

Again, my primary concern is the poor ergonomics of the deck, the extreme height and width of those coamings coupled with such narrow side decks... Not the sort of boat I'd care to sail offshore, but if that sort of sailing is not in your future, she might suit you well...
Jeff_H and tdw like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-24-2015 at 08:37 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-24-2015

Well, In one picture it's shown moored in Avalon Harbor, Catalina Island, California, so it's been on the west coast somehow.
On was on a similar year Bene once and the cold plate refrigeration was kinda picky, you had to be mindful of engine rpm's. I was onboard a 36CC at the dock once and the room and hatches in the aft cabin were pretty appealing. I didn't sail on the boat so can't comment on that.

"Just call me TB"
post #6 of 18 Old 04-25-2015 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Well, we saw it earlier. It is a beauty! Very meticulously maintained and in great shape. The wife is really impressed with it.

post #7 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

We owned one for a few years, and loved her. Wish we had kept her.

The hull is the same as the 361 and the CC sails quite well.

Small holding tank. The coamings are a pain on a dry, stable at the dock day. Almost too far to straddle and fairly high. We placed a stick on no-slip pad in the middle and just decided to use that as a landing. We did not have any issues getting in and out of the CC under way. The little step is very little and all but useless.

Below decks she was very comfortable and if you have a mate who wants a full size berth this is the Ace of the boat. Two steps to the head, and just reach up and adjust the HVAC - don't even have to get up. Ours also had the phone controlled HVAC control in the salon, so you could call ahead and have the boat cooling? Don't think we ever used it in the 4 years we had her..

The price is great if she looks as good as the pics portray and she surveys well
post #8 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

A 1999 Florida boat. Is the rigging original? Unless your surveyor is a qualified rigger and goes up the mast, pay for an experienced rigger to thoroughly check the rigging. A saltwater boat is recommended for new rigging after about 12 years. Rigging is pretty expensive. At least use it as a negotiation item. 1999 Sails may look serviceable but performance may be lacking as their well used shape could be less than desirable. Ditto the bimini with weak stitching and paper thin fabric from all that sun exposure. Fuel and holding tanks may be up for replacement, along with dripless shaft seal,batteries and the list goes on.

A sixteen year old boat will need work. Having gone through the exercise myself with two older sailboats of different sizes you don't want to be surprised that a lot of stuff will suddenly age within a year of buying it. A new jib may cost 2300-3500. New rigging $4000+ Bimini top $1300 .
16 year old electronics are just that, 16 years old and may no longer be supported by the manufacturer. If they go wrong for any reason, you will probably have to replace the whole item.

If the boat has maintenance records that will help as you can see what progressive maintenance has been done. An oil analysis of the engine oil is a helpful indicator of engine condition that your surveyor may recommend.

So be mindful of this when you put in your offer and leave enough (and then double it) in your budget for those expected and unexpected expenses on this "mature" boat.

Last edited by Mor22; 04-25-2015 at 10:53 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Mor - thanks for the input. I've inquired about all of the potential issues that you brought up. I'm waiting to hear back from the broker.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-28-2015
Dirt Free

if original .... the nickel plated, NPT brass ball valves on NPS brass throughulls are past their life expectancy.

Dirt People Scare me

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.