Old survey to new surveyor? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-25-2015 Thread Starter

Old survey to new surveyor?

Hi guys!

So I placed an offer on a Flicka 20 pending survey. There is an available survey from 2013 that the PO had done. Would you guys or would you not, give this survey to the new surveyor that I have hired?

I'm not sure...on the one side, what if he uses the old survey as a template and misses possibly new problems (like being blinded by the old survey), on the other hand, it could open his eyes to potential problems. Or what if he knows the previous surveyor, etc...

Am a big fan of providing all valid info so think I should give it to him but wanted some opinions as this is my first boat!

BTW: I'm super excited and super scared simultaneously about buying this boat since it's my first one and a big commitment so any encouraging words would be great because I'm sort of doing this alone without having a support system for helping and such...
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

Re: Old survey to new surveyor?

Yea, I'd give it to him. If he's a good surveyor he'll take pride in finding something the other guy missed. And unless you give him a digital, editable, copy, he'll likely be started from his own boilerplate. Most important is that you've checked this guy out, and he's got a good reputation.

Nice boat, unbelievably stout, salty, and roomy for it's size. Great looking too!
post #3 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

My first thought was, no. Let him do his work.

Then, I decided that if he's a good surveyor, as capecodda said, he may try to surpass the old survey.

And, if he's a bad surveyor, you're screwed whether you give it to him or not.

So, give it to him.

By the way, was the previous survey done by a good surveyor? 2013 wasn't that long ago.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

I respectfully disagree with the previous poster, and with your instinct.
What is the benefit to giving the current surveyor the past survey?
If you give it to him, and he finds all the same things, but nothing new, will you second-guess the result?

If you let him go in blind, and he comes up with some new stuff, some stuff that is on the old survey, and misses some stuff that was listed on the old survey, you can feel confident about the new stuff, the same stuff, and you can always review with him afterward the stuff that you think he might have missed.

Let the man (or woman) do his (her) job with no outside influences, and then use the differences to start a conversation (NOT an argument) about whether or not you should be concerned about anything in the old survey that isn't in the new.

On the encouragement side, I only know the Flicka by reputation, but I can't imagine a boat of that quality being a poor first choice. I went through 3 boats in my first 5 years, as I learned from level 0, and each one was exactly what I needed at that time. You are already miles ahead of hundreds of other 'planners', because you're buying a boat and 'doing it'. You, sir, are a sailor.

Enjoy.
Andy
RobGallagher likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

Or hold it back and see what he comes up with that is different. So much of the survey is recording inane data that has very little to do do with seaworthiness. That's a good boat you've got there. What were the items of interest on the last survey? Were they corrected?
Do you know the "known" trouble spots on this boat? Things you noticed on your pre purchase survey that caught your attention and want to have a better "look see" at?
I don't think I'd want to prejudice a survey by old information either. Your paying for a "Today's Condition" survey. Having one surveyor out do another? Nope may make one just a bit lazier...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

Reminds me of a visit in my youth to one of our friends favorite fortune tellers. She said, don't tell her anything, she's amazing. To this day, I accuse her of giving the soothsayer a pile of our personal data before we went in

Maybe your right, have the new guy go in blind

PS - not to spoil it, but I think the Long Island Medium is googling her customers. Just saying
post #7 of 18 Old 04-25-2015
me at 67!

on a 20 ft boat? http://www.flicka20.com/default.aspx
my bad

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!

Last edited by deniseO30; 04-25-2015 at 09:49 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

So, if you "hold it back", do you show him what he missed when he's done. And what will that accomplish?

It all comes down to whether he's a GOOD surveyor.

There's nothing you can do to make a bad surveyor a good surveyor.
svjobeth and capecodda like this.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
So, if you "hold it back", do you show him what he missed when he's done. And what will that accomplish?

It all comes down to whether he's a GOOD surveyor.

There's nothing you can do to make a bad surveyor a good surveyor.
Actually, seriously, I agree with this. Soothsayers aside.

And as far as it only being 20 feet Denise, it's a Flicka....it's 20 feet that offshore ready if it's sound. I'd definitely survey it, particularly if I intended to take it offshore. Sorry, but I really like these boats, with the OP luck with it.
aeventyr60 likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-25-2015

I think that comparing old with new survey is a powerful tool, to Your advantage. Don't worry about hurting a PAID professional's advice. Remember your the customer and paying your hard earned dosh to get "professional" advice. If he misses something that was on the "old" survey then maybe it brings to mind other items he may have over looked. Still buyer beware....out here.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.