Looking at a 1977 Morgan 30 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-14-2015 Thread Starter
Sam

Looking at a 1977 Morgan 30

Hello to all. I am strongly considering purchasing a 30' (301) Morgan and would like any and all thoughts on this particular boat. Are there any specific problems that this boat was known for? This will be my first purchase of a sailboat. I've been sailing for less than a year so I wanted to get something easy to handle but big enough for anchoring overnight with enough room for my wife and I. I do plan on getting someone knowledgeable to check the boat out. I have sailed her for a few hours one afternoon. For a well maintained 1977 sailboat priced in the upper teens it looks like a good start. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-15-2015

Re: Looking at a 1977 Morgan 30

Hello, I don't know much about boats. Never sailed. Bought a 1971 Morgan 35. Seems to have a good rep. Well built, solid everywhere I've looked, drilled or whatever. I'm surprised no one has chimed in. Can you send a link to view boat? I've been working and sailing mine for 10 months now. Lot a work, but fun for the most part. Sailing part is always fun. Kevin
post #3 of 16 Old 05-15-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Upper teens for a 77 30 ft boat. better have a good diesel, newish sails and be generally in excellent condition. Even then that is top dollar.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-15-2015
Old enough to know better

Yea, that sounds a bit high priced and better be really nice. Not "gee it looks pretty" kind of nice, but solid decks. No moisture in the decks, newish sails, good diesel, fresh interior, no leaks and reasonably updated electronics. Morgans while fine boats were built to a relatively low price point so there were a lot of corners cut. Good thing was oil was still fairly cheap and so they just used a lot of fiberglass and resin to gain strength. If everything was wetted out correctly it should be fine, but sometimes in the rush to get boats out they were not. Seems one boat is great, and the next is really poorly put together.

I would take someone who really knows boats with you to look at it.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-15-2015 Thread Starter
Sam

Sorry for the delayed response, Florida Boy, Miatapaul and TQA. Here's is a link:1977 Morgan 30 - JustSailboats.com
I do intend to get someone who knows his stuff to look at it with me. The engine has been upgraded to a Yanmar 30 hp and has only a few hundred hours on it. Seller will negotiate.
Thanks for all who replied.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-15-2015

Hey! Go here for some more info. MORGAN OUT ISLAND 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com My 35 had a new engine with 400 hrs, sails-2 sets, autopilot, gps, shaft, prop, blah blah. I paid 15 g's. Was listed for 21 g's when I first saw it. The previous owner spent 25 grand on upgrades. I have the reciepts.The price for the 30 seems a little high, but you said he'd negotiate. The interior of my boat was run down. I'm having to do all the cushions, sailcover, bimini. Lots of sanding and painting to bring it up to par. Lotta work. Lotta work. Not having ever bought a boat like that, I had no idea what kinda work I was getting into. I don't spend much. I take it apart, shine it, paint it, oil it and put it back in place. But it is fun most of the time. Everything I do is me getting familiar with the boat and after 10 months, I know most of it. A boat that old will have lots of old wiring, tanks, wood and things that need fixing. I don't think you will know what I'm talking about until you buy one. So... see if you can get the price down. I'm glad I got mine. When I get tired of working on it for a month or so, I go sailing for a month or so. The motor and the sails and electronics are the most important and expensive, in my opinion. Can't beat a new motor. Everything else you can fix with a little elbow grease and invention. I hope this helps some. Kevin
post #7 of 16 Old 05-15-2015 Thread Starter
Sam

Thanks Kevin for your input. You speak from experience. Did you have your boat surveyed prior to purchase? I read a lot about doing that but I haven't talked to anyone yet who has actually done it.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-16-2015

Sam, the boat had a 2.5 year old survey on board, so I went with that. That made it easy for me. Kevin
post #9 of 16 Old 05-16-2015 Thread Starter
Sam

Thank you Sir. Nothing like having peace of mind out on the water.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-16-2015
Old enough to know better

I did have a bad experience here in the upper east coast with Pop Yachts and they delayed my offer, and it sold to someone else. I know they are really kind of a coop sort of thing, but the organization did not seem very professional to me at all. They were very responsive with offering me boats that were on the other side of the country and that I would not be interested in though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.