Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2001

shavdog is on a distinguished road
Tough Decision

I am having alot of internal turmoil over this.We own a 1987 34 ft hunter. Nice boat. I have done alot of work to bring her back to what i would say is a 9 boat. In other words, new everything. We are moving in three yrs to no. minnesota to our lakehome on leech lake. It is big, 40 miles long and deep. I dont want the hunter up there. Dont want the marina fees, etc. I am looking at only cape dorys 25 and 27. the 25 is cheap for about 10k but is quite simple.The 27 is about 25k for a good one and has all the stuff. I like to tinker. Dont want another restoration project though. That almost burnt me out. We will have a 20 ft sportboat for fishing and other fun. I will moor my sailboat in front of our house and keep it on a trailer. What do you think? Go for the 25footer for 10k and keep it simple or buy a 27 footer with a few more things and comforts. I have sailed neither. I am 6ft 2. Help me out. thanks. craig in mpls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2001
JeffH

Tough Decision

After the Hunter I suspect that you will really hate the Cape Dories. The mid 80''s Hunter 34 actually sail quite well and are a pretty fair light air boat. The Cape Dories are miserable in light stuff and at least in my experience, lake sailing tends to be light air punctuated by very heavy air. I would think you would be happier looking for a more modern design.
Good luck,
Jeff
Old 08-28-2001
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
Tough Decision

If you only plan to day sail and maybe overnight the Cape Dory 25 will be fine. I owned a 25 and loved it and with a big genoa had no problems with light air. There are 2 types of cd-25''s though and each is quite different from the other. One has an inboard diesel and the entire front V-berth area is sacrificed to provide a large area for the head. It also has a rig with more sail area than the earlier model CD-25. The other CD-25 has an outboard motor in a motorwell aft which puts the screw behind the rudder creating some difficulty manuvering under power in tight quarters, but other than that the boat sails very well (in my opinion). Below, the cabin space is tight but comfortable. The cockpit is nice and if you put a cushion across the motorwell cover and another across the back of the stern rail , you have a very comfortable couch-like lounging area to the rear of all the action in the cockpit. I think that the CD-25 with the motorwell would be an excellant choice for a tinkerer as it is simple enough to take care of without the hassles of having an inboard with stuffing box and thru hulls and cutlass bearings and the rest of the big boat type fittings for plumbing. One choice you might like to make is whether you want the large plexiglass windows of the early-early cd-25 or (my preference) the CD_25 with the six bronze opening portlights.
Old 08-28-2001
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
Tough Decision

One more thing to consider...at 6ft 2 you may not be able to fit the quarter or v-berth of the CD-25, I remodeled my interior and took out the two forward bulkheads which enclosed the head and replaced it with a single bulkhead running directly under the mast which increased the length of the v-berth to 7 feet, also moved the table area in the main cabin from the aft bulkhead to the forward bulkhead and extended the quarterberths leg room aft under the cockpit seats, extending them to 6ft-3 inches...you might want to check the larger Cape Dories in this case to see if you fit better below decks unless reclining in the cabin is not a priority....or make the layout changes as I did, but that was far from tinkering...it was a major project.....Rick
Old 08-28-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
Tough Decision

Stay away from Cape Dories as they are an obsolete design that was never very good. They are wet boats without enough sail area for a lake.

Instead sail the Hunter 34 to Florida and keep it there. Live on it in the winter! Think of the 8 foot snow banks in Mn. Now visualize stepping off your boat in Key West and walking down to the Hampton Inn down the street in you bathing suit. You just walk right in and check out all of the thongs. Then step into the jacuzzi. Nobody says anthing, it''s free. Then when your sure all of the bikini''s meet your inspection you leave and walk back to your boat. Don''t forget your sunglasses or to send a card up north.

You can use the motor boat up north in the summer.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.