Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
popgrowl-please don't revive dead threads. you really should start a new thread instead... reviving old dead threads is both tacky and considered poor net etiquette.
I agree!!!

I sat there and read through those posts before I realized it was 5 years old. It is annoying. It's not that the material is any less relevant, although Jeff H's 2001 comments about Tartan's inconsistent build quality seemed particularly prescient!

Wouldn't it make sense to freeze threads after a year of inactivity? I'm sure there would be a million reasons why not, but after that long a new thread could be started.

Plus, I'm afraid I'm going to mouth off at someone's comment in a thread only to find out they died years earlier in a tragic sailing accident.
Old 09-12-2007

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Bristol etc.

My two cents....three really...

I kick myself for not buying a Sabre 362......You really need to compare the designer as well. Jim Taylor is a great one. I've sailed on several of his race boats and cannot speak enough good words about them.

That said, my best friends dad is 78 and is selling his Alerion 38. I've sailed on her and helped put her together. He is the first owner and she has had great care during her midwest fresh water life on Lake Michigan....once again the designer, in this case Carl Schumaker (may he RIP) is another of the great ones. The TPI construction is also very nice. She is the white one on yachtworld sitting in Michigan.

Both sail great and each has plusses and minuses....the interior on the 362 is bigger, the Alerion has more sail combination options with the yawl rig and will be easier to sail with the Hoyt self tacking jib boom. Alerion has a tiller, Sabre a wheel....interesting is that when the tiller is in dock mode on the Alerion, she has one of the largest and most comfortable social cockpits I've been in.

Good luck on your search!

Not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2007

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Sorry about the post...the not at the end is a typo....I started to say some unkind words about one of your choices but remebered what mama used to say......If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

121 Guy
Old 10-08-2007
sailingtakesmeaway

mgahagan is on a distinguished road
alerion 38

I sail on SF Bay and checked into the new Alerion 38. Big dinero. I think they're intended for a well-heeled, older sailer who sails in relatively calm waters and enjoys a boat that performs well. Suspect it's quite speedy but if you're looking for a cruiser- the newer AE 38 are intended to be a day-sailer with maybe overnight capability for a couple. If I had more bucks and SF Bay winds were less than our avg 20-25 knots, I'd consider one.

mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
I am Chesapeake based, looking to upgrade from my current Sea Sprite 30 to a sailboat in the 35-38'' range. I am strongly leaning towards purchase of a quality used production boat in lieu of going with a new Catalina/Hunter etc. Price range from 70-140k.

I am a cruiser, not a racer, but hope to find something that has a bit of speed i.e.PHRF in the 150''s or better. I want a boat that is well suited to the light air and shallow waters of the Chesapeake, but also that has the ability to go offshore occasionally i.e. Bermuda, Nantuckett. Although not a requirement, I would also like to find a boat that couples classic exterior styling with a semi modern technologies.

I am interested in something late 1980''s or more current, but would consider older if the boat was in very good condition. Any thoughts on Bristol 35.5 or 38.8, Tartan 35 or 37, and Sabre 362 or 38 MKII? Anyone know anything about the Alerion 38???

Any thoughts on other boats that should be considered?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old 10-09-2007

BADG is on a distinguished road
If the post is relevant then it doesn't matter if it was started an hour ago or 10 years ago. I found it to be good reading. Lighten up, I think its tacky to be a house mother on the Inet.

If you have a problem reading old threads then take it upon yourself not to waste your own time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.