Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2001

dtechlin is on a distinguished road
Trailerable advise

I am looking for some advise on three trailerable boats. I used to own a Catalina 27, but am looking for some 55 mph cruises in the Great Lakes. I am interested in information/opinions on San Juans 23''s, Tanzer 22''s and yankee dolphins. I am going to mostly day sail on Saginaw Bay, but would like to do some solo cruiseing "up north" and use the expressways to make it more doable.

I appreiciate any help I can get.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2001

old sailor is on a distinguished road
Trailerable advise

We previously owned a Tanzer 7.5 (25) for about ten years, which we found to be a very strong very sound boat, and were well satisfied with. We sailed on all the local lakes and also on the Texas gulf coast. Our longest coastal passage was a couple of days from Galveston to Corpus Christi (200 miles).

The boat perfommed well and loved heavy weather. However, the only race I ever won (I NEVER race) was a total drifter, water was as smooth as a mirror, so you can see it is a good light air boat also. The previous owner was the "man to beat" at the local club, winning almost every race. One of the best features it had was the club footed Jib. Boy, that is a nice feature!! I turned it into a cruiser by adding refrigeration, marine head, auto pilot, stove, etc. and we really enjoyed spending three or four days at a time on it. Biggest drawback was the limited head room. Stooping got old quick for a six footer.

I made a trailor out of an old steel cradle I picked up cheap, and we pulled it down to the coast. The mast was tabernacle stepped, and two people could raise or lower it. All in all, I think it would be a good choice for your intended usage. I was on a 22 once, and found it too small to even consider for weekending. (NOTE: Tanzer made a 7.5M and a 25'' ... the 7.5M is the boat I refer to).

A question for you. I am considering buying an older fiberglass sailboat to coastal sail and occasionally trailer. Catalina 27 is one I am considering. You indicate that you don''t want to trailer yours. Why? How is the mast stepped, is it keel or deck stepped? I am famaliar with the known problems (spreader sockets, deck coring, some delamination, spreader eye-bolts, etc.) and anticipate some up front maintenance and repair, but I want an inboard with more interior room, better galley and standing head room. The C27 seems to offer that at a reasonable price. What is your experience with yours?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook