O'Day 20 vs DS2 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter
O'Day 20 vs DS2

Looking locally at a first boat, though I've sailed over the years, this would be a first real purchase. I learned with regular lessons on a 16' Bullseye, and was looking locally near us at two O'Days, within a few $100 in price of one another...

1) O'Day Daysailer 2, with trailer, appears in good shape
2) O'Day 20, with trailer and 6hp outboard, I believe it's all in shape and in the water/in use

We're on the Hudson River, and I believe I can get a reasonably priced mooring full time this summer or by next spring.

What are the upsides and potential pitfalls of either one? I know the 20 will be a fair bit harder to trailer and set up, and in fact would be pushing past the limits of our car. I'd plan on avoiding moving it as much as possible, and/or getting a heavier vehicle for the chore. It would be more dependent on having a slip or mooring, but having an actual cabin to do overnights in periodically would be spectacular.

In terms of sailing/handling on the river, am I looking at a crazy errand with the slightly larger boat? I would assume that it's going to be a bit less wet, and a bit more stable in lousier fall weather, among other things.

I'm trying to stay reasonable (DS would allow us to easily trailer the boat to and fro, and seems like it's a pretty easy task to get in the water and set up from trailer, but wouldn't allow weekend trips with kiddo etc., and would be more limited on capacity for us and friends.)

What say you all? What prices are reasonable for each? What should I look for/ask in either case?

Both are local. The 20 is definitely available, and I'm guessing the prices could come to a point where they're almost the same.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 06-16-2015
Owner 4knot sb.
Re: O'Day 20 vs DS2

What you got there is a perfect Apples to Androids comparison...

Nobody is gonna be able to answer it for you...
You are basically asking for the difference/preference between a centerboard wet boat, and a ballasted keelboat.

If you've been sailing a bit, you already know the differences, one is really self-righting, and more stable, the other is wet but easy to trailer.

It comes down to what fits your needs/wants in sailing more. I've personally gotten to the point where I just don't want to wrestle with a unballasted centerboard boat anymore. I jumped ship in 2008, and haven't felt like I've missed anything.

I'd argue by the way, at that vintage, that you can get considerably MORE boat (bigger or newer) for roughly the same price range as you are looking though... so don't pigeonhole yourself yet until you've defined how you want to sail the most.

I used to trailer sail my Capri 14.2... and could launch it in about 20 minutes if I was moving. I sailed maybe 6-8 times a year... when I went to a Capri 22, and a dock/slip, my sailing went up to 3 times a week, for 6 months a year. So consider your setup time as a "time payment" into use of the boat, that eats away at your "fun time" with the boat, and it eventually becomes a huge discouragement.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHNOOL For This Useful Post:
superslomo (06-16-2015)
post #3 of 6 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

I've not been able to find much information on how they sail into the wind, and what other kinds of characteristics both have... if one is just comparatively a drag to be on, then it was something I was trying to ascertain. I'm not sure I'll be able to get either under sail to see how they handle, and so on.

What suggestions would you have for something in a better range on price and so on? The price on the 20 is (asking) $2k, with the assertion that motor is clean, boat is in good shape, and sails and rigging are up to date. The DS is without motor, with trailer, and asking around $1600...

Simple fact: if our car were rated comfortably for the weight on the 20, it would almost be a non-issue... having an option to sleep overnight (however cramped) and some dry space for kids napping, and so on, would be fantastic. The question of whether we have a free mooring for this summer or next has a pretty significant impact on the decision as well... I'm trying to do this with a boat that has as little to break and replace as possible, hence the Daysailer is tempting. I think though that the prospect of capsizing has my wife stressed out, and the joy of getting on the water into the fall is likely far more pronounced in a more substantial boat with a bit more substance to it.

Having an outboard included to deal with excess and absence of wind is also a nice plus...

If you have specific recommendations for other things to look at, I'm all ears... both in the wet and the dry variants

The Hudson in our vicinity is shallow in spots, so I'm trying to stick with something that can motor or paddle into shallower spots to anchor or fish, if at all possible, the full keel is unrealistic for most of our actual use...
post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2015

I have a DS2. It's a fun boat, stout, very stable and forgiving for a CB dinghy. I think you'd really have to try hard or screw up very badly to capsize it, even single-handed. Rigging isn't bad either, with the mast on a hinged tabernacle. If anything, I've complicated matters more on my boat since I've had it by adding a topping lift, vang, single-line reefing, and a jib downhaul (any of which I can of course omit if I don't need/want it on a given day).

That said, I find trailer-sailing in general to be kind of a drag, and I definitely don't get out as often as I might otherwise because of it. The bigger the boat, the more of a hassle it is to rig it and, most likely, the less you'll use it if you're trailer sailing.

My wife has no interest in the DS, she prefers a bigger boat (one with a head and a comfy interior with a place to lay down and read a book). We did just buy a 36' keelboat though, which will live on a mooring next summer. I already know once the "big boat" is available, I'll never sail the DS again and she'll be up for sale.

You do have two completely different boats you're trying to choose from... you have to figure out, given yours and your family's needs, which way the scale tips - ease of trailering and rigging, vs. accommodations.
The Following User Says Thank You to zzrider For This Useful Post:
superslomo (06-16-2015)
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2015

Here is how I would look at it:

1. Condition of the boats would be my top priority. I would buy a boat only if it could be sailed immediately. Doesn't need to be perfect, but does need to be safe and fun. Try to take each boat out before you buy.

2. I think the comfort of the cockpit is very important and something that cannot be changed. My guess is that the 20 has more comfortable seats.

2. I want a reliable motor. Sounds like the DS does not have one. Even a 2.5 horsepower motor will cost several hundred dollars, plus an couple hundred more for a retractable mount.

3. The cuddy of the 20 has a big advantage over the DS cuddy. The 20's cuddy can store lots of stuff and give somebody a place to sit out of the elements.

4. I wouldn't call the 20's cuddy a cabin and I can't imagine spending many weekends on a boat like that. Most of the cuddy will get filled with sailing gear, safety gear, portapotty, cooler, dry food, water, clothing, etc. No place to sleep unless that stuff gets moved up into the cockpit. Then there's no place to sit. I've camped on my 19' Mariner, but I sleep on the cockpit bench.

5. The less hassle to rig and de-rig, the more you will enjoy your boat. One option you didn't mention is storing your boat on it's trailer, but with the mast kept rigged up. Much less hassle and less maintenance. My experience is that rigging up in the morning is fun, all the packing up at the end of the day/weekend is dreary. That's another advantage of the 20's superior cuddy; lots of stuff can be permanently kept in the cuddy.

6. If I owned a house on a lake, I would lean toward the sportier DS, but leave all the comforts in the house ashore.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwing For This Useful Post:
superslomo (06-16-2015)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

FTounny, it looked like a regular cabin, enclosed with windows and a covering over the entry, stove/berths in some form, etc.

I had thought a cuddy was open at the back, without an approximation of furniture. I could be mistaken, happily will stand corrected if so.

I know the DS can be sailed without a motor, but I've found mooring a drag without a motor, honestly. It was how I learned (I still think that's a good thing), but I'd like to have the option to fire up a motor and buzz home if the weather gets pear shaped or the wind vanishes etc as well.

I think the 20, or another something in the 22 range would be great for heading out with an extra guest, our dog, or a kid, and the adventure of taking my 5 year old daughter out for an overnight on occasion would be pretty cool as an option.

Agreed I'd like whatever boat to be usable straight away, as I don't need anything fancy, but I don't the time

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.