Moody 425 as a bluewater cruiser - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Moody 425 as a bluewater cruiser

Since mentioning them in another thread a couple months ago we have now started looking very closely at Moody 425's as a potential boat for a family of 4 to do some extended cruising.

Does anyone familiar with them have an opinion or any advice?

We also like the Hallberg Rassy 45, which while a touch bigger is almost twice the price.

Any known issues we should keep an eye out for?

The reason for two European boats is that we are looking at purchasing in Europe and sailing back this way at a leisurely pace. I know there are comparable North American centre cockpit boats and they are also definitely on our list, the other factor for us is the Aus $ being the way it is at the moment our money goes further buying a boat in Euros rather than US $.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 06-22-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-22-2015

Re: Moody 425 as a bluewater cruiser

We own and sail a Moody 425. We bought it in Greece and sailed the Med for a couple of years before crossing over to the Caribbean this year. We have spent lots of time and money to completely refit the boat for our purposes and we would be happy to answer any questions you might have or pm us if you like. They are great boats that are well built with very workable interior layouts that work well offshore and at anchor. They are also good sailing boats and surprise many with good passage times. We had several 170 mile plus days on our crossing without working the boat. Hard to go wrong with this design but make sure you get a good survey.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Thanks Robert.

Have sent you a PM.

They seem to be a great boat, and by the looks of it well suited to our needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 24 Old 06-22-2015

Got your PM and wrote you a fairly lengthy response only to find that I don't have enough posts to PM you so if you would like to give me an email address I will forward it to you there, Cheers, Robert
post #5 of 24 Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Sorry Robert I was of the belief that if responding to my PM you should be able to...

Will PM you my email address.

post #6 of 24 Old 06-22-2015

I forwarded the message to you, Robert
post #7 of 24 Old 06-22-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Chall .... we had a look at a Moody in NZ when we were out looking. I'd always fancied the 425 though the one we saw was big brother, somewhere around 48' from memory. Damn that was a big boat. Huge. Nonetheless if it had been the 425 I think we might well have gone for her. Even back then cheaper than our Malo and gave the impression of being a very solid gal.

Good layout, very comfortable saloon and aft cabin. Various people did make mention of some quality control problems with Moodys of that vintage.
chall03 likes this.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-23-2015

I'm not sure the people who talked about quality control were properly informed. Stories always get embellished and added to over time. The only problems I am aware of was a 39 foot Moody built in the 70's that featured an underbuilt skeg and a less than sturdy rudder that failed while crossing the Indian Ocean. You may or may not know that all Moody's were built to Loyd's of London specs and in this case Loyd's were sued as well. Seemed that someone had reduced the size of the skeg and even Loyd's were not properly informed. Anyways the customer was successful in his lawsuit and Moody, a 150 year old company did not go unpunished. (Imagine if all the owners of modern production boats that loose rudders today could successfully sue a company)

All Moody's thereafter were designed by Bill Dixon including the 425 and they featured a very large and robust 1/2 skeg and semi balanced rudder which has been almost bullet proof. I am aware of a couple of Moody's that did have rudder/skeg damage but they were both in severe groundings. I'm not aware of any failures at sea.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-23-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'm not sure the people who talked about quality control were properly informed.
Oh you may well be right, I'm only repeating what I was told. From memory the issues were more to do with general fitout than structural problems and from I saw of the bigger boat in NZ she was built like the proverbial brick outhouse. To me the 425 simply looks like a throughly competent, handsome and well thought out design, which I'd expect from a Dixon.

btw ... if I remember rightly most of the feedback I got re Moody was from the YBW forum.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-23-2015

Yes sailing forums are sure full of information but much of it is here say and very little if any evidence to support many of the opinions expressed when it comes to boat building. The Moody's built thru the mid 80's and on actually have a very large and faithful following and have held their prices very well over the years. ( Look up the Moody's Owners Group and have a boo as I think the membership is around 2000 enthusiastic owners.)As I am sure you are very aware these boats while built very well will need refitting if they have not been really well kept up and you can spend almost the original purchase price on a refit so it really doesn't pay to buy a boat needing a lot of work thinking you may have gotten a good deal. If you buy any production boat older than 10-15 years old you can expect to also have to refit it as well so if you find a 25 year old Moody that has been recently refit it may very well be a better buy than a newer production boat. There are many well built older boats to choose from depending on your sailing needs, the Moody is just one of them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.