Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006

dhaus111 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dhaus111
boats with less than 5' draft

I'm looking for some advice on a boat of my own after gaining some confidence in my sailing abilities. I'm looking for a liveaboard in the range of 40' that most importantly has a draft of less than 5' due to where I'll be keeping her. Although I want shoal keel, I'd still like it to be sane to use the boat for blue water cruising in the future. My budget does have large limitations (50,000) so I'm looking for something a little older that needs some TLC. I've been looking at a Morgan O.I. but it has it's comprimises. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Last edited by dhaus111; 08-03-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You might look into the Niagara 35. Roomy boat with about 5' draft.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another boat you might want to check out is the Gemini 105MC. It is a 34' catamaran that is bluewater capable, and categorized as EU RCD Class A. They have crossed the Atlantic and Pacific...and are fairly room and comfortable. Might be worth taking a look at them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-03-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Our Beneteau 361 has a 5' draft. We love the boat. Our budget was a little higher than yours, not sure if they are available in that range.
Not really a Blue water sailor but a great cuising boat, just my opinion.
(It gets a lot of criticism around here, but that's ok.; we still love her.)
Old 08-03-2006

gc is on a distinguished road
Check out the Allied Princess and Mistress, especially the Mistress (39 ft with a 4.5 ft draft) Very comfortable for liveaboard and a nice sea boat - I have over 11,000 miles on mine.
Old 08-03-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Second the Niagara 35

I would second the choice of the Niagara 35. A very well built boat that has stood up quite well. The original design was meant to be a blue water cruiser and the lay out was geared to that. They did not sell particualrly well on the Greal Lakes where they were built so they came out with a new layout with a larger salon area. I believe it was called the Ultra interior. You might find one of these needing just cosmetic work in your price range.

Good Luck
Gary
Old 08-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember to set aside about 15-20% of your purchase price for upgrades and re-fitting the boat. Even if you find the perfect boat, you'll still need a few upgrades and repair/refits done.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-04-2006

dhaus111 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dhaus111
thanks

thanks a lot for the replies, gonna check them out now...
Old 08-04-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
A Tartan 37 is commonly found in a keel/centerboard model. I have no experience with them but I know that they are very highly regarded.

I took a look at Yachtworld and there seem to be a few in your pricerange. I think you are going to have trouble finding a 40 footer in good shape in your pricerange.

Last edited by CBinRI; 08-04-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
gizmos

I like the idea of a centerboard boat for something that big. If you don't mind the rigging some boats come in deep draft and centerboard versions. Downwind you haul the board up and increase performance over a comparable shoal draft which typically will have more wetted surface and slower turning with more keel length instead of depth.

50K is not a lot of budget for a 40 footer, so you're going to need to go back in time. The early 80's Bristol 40 CB version is a nice one to look at.

Last edited by captnnero; 08-04-2006 at 01:25 PM.