SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Cape Dory 28 - Ocean Voyaging Potential (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/21220-cape-dory-28-ocean-voyaging-potential.html)

voyagerjm 08-05-2006 04:20 PM

Cape Dory 28 - Ocean Voyaging Potential

I am looking at buying a Cape Dory 28 'fixer upper' and sailing her south to the caribbean.

I was looking at a Contessa 26 but I need more room for the family.

Has anyone done so and are there any log on the net for same.

Comments.

sailingdog 08-05-2006 08:09 PM

Go to Sailfar.net and ask there. It is a site dedicated to small boat sailors who go long distances in them, and there are quite a few sailors there, all with experience on boats smaller than 30'. I believe several are Cape Dory sailors as well.

camaraderie 08-06-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerjm
I am looking at buying a Cape Dory 28 'fixer upper' and sailing her south to the caribbean.

I was looking at a Contessa 26 but I need more room for the family.

Jim... I've been debating about whether to reply to your note. The CD28 is a fine boat and certainly capable of making blue-water passages so, your plans for a trip to the Carib in one are do-able. What concerns me is your comment that you need a 28 for "family room" which implies you will be taking kids along. This is a very small boat for a family and I think it will be most uncomfortable/dangerous in big seas and heavy weather for small children. I would never question your right to undertake such a voyage as good seamanship counts for a lot... (there are a lot of unsafe captains on 40+ footers!) ...but I would really question the judgement that says such a voyage on such a boat should be undertaken with kids.
A couple of offshore passages in a CD28 without the kids, in snotty weather will give you a feel for this and perhaps the CD owners group might provide such a passage opportunity before you make an investment.
I think Alberg designed lovely boats and the Typhoon is IMO one of the prettiest little boats that ever came off a drawing board.
All best...

sailingdog 08-06-2006 11:25 AM

How large a family are we talking. The CD28 is probably just fine for a couple, but probably a bit tight for anything more than that.

voyagerjm 08-06-2006 04:11 PM

Family - Wife and 11 year old son -- just visiting

I appreciate the concerns expressed here.

I am an experienced ocean sailor and aware of what is out there!

Plans are for myself and possibly another experienced sailor will sail her down to the islands.

My 'balinese' wife who is a landlubber and my son will be flying down to meet me.

They be following me from island to island. Ocean crossings are my forte!