O'day Mariner or Siren 17 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-27-2015 Thread Starter
Ryan

O'day Mariner or Siren 17

I'm new to sailing and am itching to purchase my first boat. Here's a bit of what I intend to do: It'll be tied up on a floating dock behind my house and sailed in Great Bay, NJ. Short day trips only, the bay does get a steep 2ft chop on it though in the afternoons.

My budget is $1500 max and I've come across these two boats that seem to fit my needs but would like some input. I know the oday can handle bay chop but can the Siren? Both boats are older and need some tlc but the sails and hull seem to be in good shape. Thanks for the input.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-27-2015

Re: O'day Mariner or Siren 17

My brother has a Siren 17 and I've seen him on Lake Superior in some awful ruff water He's single handing it most of the time.It's a good little boat...Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2015
Tartan 27' owner

I have sailed on a Mariner 19' which is kind of sister ship to the O'day 19' but not the Siren. Either model looks good for handling shallow spots that you will find in the back bays on the Jersey coast.
I spent an overnight on the Mariner 19' back in my late 20's; was fun but cramped.
Longer LWL always means slightly faster sailing speeds.

For older boats that may need some tlc it is all about the upkeep, or lack thereof they may have received. It is also about you and your budget and what you are willing to undertake.

Good luck.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 07-27-2015 at 11:16 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2015

I've never seen a Siren, but I'd bet it is a good little boat and might meet your needs. I know the Mariner is a good little boat; I own one.

If you are going to tie your boat to a dock, you probably will want a boat that has cockpit drains, or you will need a bilge pump. Pre-1968 Mariners don't have cockpit drains.

Assuming all else about equal, like price, condition, trailer, motor, my deciding factors would be:

1) the level of support I get from the manufacturer and the owners' association. The Mariner has a very helpful and supportive association, good source of parts (DRmarine.com), and is still being manufactured (Stuart Marine).

2) the local population of Sirens and Mariners. For New Jersey, the Mariner Class Association lists 52 members and 3 fleets.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2015 Thread Starter
Ryan

Thanks for all the responses! I'll be looking at the Mariner, it's a 73 so it's self bailing, on Saturday. I have a very experienced sailing friend who also worked in boat construction coming with me to eye it over for me. If he doesn't find anything seriously wrong that we couldn't fix ourselves over the winter than I'm hoping to have it that day. I'll keep the board posted. Again, thanks for all the help.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2015

I had a Siren 17. It was a fun little boat. There's a lot of room on board for a 17 footer.

It is a very light boat. 750lbs if I recall correctly.

They are also old. I had to replace all the rivets in my mast after my jib halyard sheave popped off in a small blow. It was an easy job. The boat is small enough that most jobs are easy.

I'd get one again if I was in the market for a boat that size.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig
post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter
Ryan

Eko_Eko, How did she handle tight chop? Going to "kick the tires" tomorrow on a '79 and just aren't sold if she can handle bay chop.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Reighn View Post
Eko_Eko, How did she handle tight chop? Going to "kick the tires" tomorrow on a '79 and just aren't sold if she can handle bay chop.
It's been six years since I sailed her, but I don't recall any issues with chop. They are light and will tend to bounce around, but not unacceptably.

There are decent videos on youtube of them sailing, if you want to get a visual feel for the motion of the boat.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.