SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

what boat to buy help please

5K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase new boat I have a couple requirements must have standing head room in the head ( I'm 5`9" ). Stove with oven
Diesel inboard engine. Full keel ( prefer encapsulated) and under 31 feet long. Fiberglass mono hull. Also it must be blue water capable with minor upgrades. ( I'm a shipwright ) . Currently I'm on an islander 24 bahama . :2 boat:

#2 ·
Why under 31 foot, is there a requirement where you keep your boat now? The real question is what is your budget? I would have to say off the top of my head, Cape Dory, Bristol Channel Cutter. But without a budget it is kind of impossible.

#3 ·
Actually you are right I noticed I left the budget out of the picture looking for under 15k and as far as the 31 actually should be under 30 ft. The marina I'm in I pay for a 30 ft slip if I go more than a foot over that I have to move to a 40 ft slip and I know a boat that size is out of price range for purchase as well as annual maintance costs. I don't want a boat I know I can't afford to keep in Bristol condition

#4 ·
Paul , You mention BCC , I assume you mean the 28 ' , There are some BCCs' in our marina and they must go in a 35' slip . The way my marina operates , is that in a 30' slip you are allowed 34'9" . The BCC is over 37' .
Sorry newhaul , given your conditions I got nuttin .

#5 ·
I was going to mention a Nor'sea until I saw your budget.
Still if you look around you may be able to find one that doesn't break the budget.

#9 ·
Mark thanks for that one I was thinking more like a real sailboat with a real keel mac's are fine for inshore but I don't feel comfortable taking it offshore. The biggest issue with the boat I have now is I need 6 to 8 more inches of headroom.
Also I assume you were joking with me on the Mac. :devil

#8 ·
I seem to recall Bob Perry thinking highly of the Rawson 30...

Should be a few of those around in your area, no?

Another boat I've always liked the look of is the Golden Gate 30 (also known as a Bodega 30, and a Farallon 29, I believe) I met the sailing writer Ray Jason years ago down in FL, he sails a GG 30 named AVENTURA, looked like a sweet boat to me, and one that might be within your budget...

#11 · (Edited)
Don't know how urgently you want a new boat, or how much time and effort you want to put into getting it Bristol to begin with. I'm finding myself in a similar situation, only looking for 30+. And I'm notoriously cheap. There's an older 33' Hunter up there (Bham) for $7500, pics look good and I'd like to look it over, but it's a long ways from Portland. There are a couple prospects in Tacoma you might be interested in, altho I'd imagine the thought of having to drive thru Seattle is sort of a deal breaker. I'm considering relocating to Olympia (I'm usually there 3-5 days/week anyway) and don't mind going as far as Tacoma to check out boats if you see something that piques your curiosity. I'm 6'4" so headroom is important to me as well. Slip fees aren't as much of a concern, hence my looking for 30+, but I could be fairly comfortable on something 27-30. I see them listed frequently, currently about 4 or 5 Cat 27s in the $8-11k range, a Newport 27 for $9950, but cheap inner me wants to go look at this one. Time's just not right yet. and besides, I promised myself 30+...

1972 Santana 27

#15 · (Edited)
#17 ·
While this is not the type of boat that I would normally recommend, if you truly have your heart set on a full length keel, and only have $15K budget, there are only a few boats that come to mind. I would think that your best bet would be something like the Southern Cross 31 or one of the H-28 variants, such as the Seawind Ketch. I personnally prefer the Seawind I over the Seawind II and this is one of the rare cases where I somewhat prefer the ketch better than the sloop/cutter versions.

There are a range of decent designs which are not full keel but which are out there, boats like the Vineyard Vixen for example.

Jeff

#19 ·
I was going to suggest the Norsea too, but out of your budget and length. It may be considered a 27' boat but add length of bowsprit and wind vane, total length ends up being closer to 33'. That's why the BCC28 requires such a long slip length (long bowsprit).

How about a Bayfield 25 or 29? Cape Dory 27 comes to my mind too.

#20 ·
I'm somewhat flexible on the 30 ft bit just don't want the extra 65 bucks for moorage and as far as the full keel well a cut forefoot would work. But I have yet to see a fin keel that was encapsulated. Also on some of the sugessted boats I'm looking at them and like what I see but I have 20 k to buy and do upgrades with and shipping from east coast would have to be figured in. On the good I am not in a hurry I have until next may or June to get her to have her ready for the coast run to mexico in august/early September 2016

#22 ·
If I were making the coast run to Mexico from California, I don't think that I would want a full keel boat under any circumstances since any kind of improved passage times in those conditions are more important than any perceived potential advantage that a full keel might offer.

That should greatly open up your choices. For example, here is (sort of) a sister ship of Jon Eisberg's boat 1972 Allied Chance 30/30 w/Transferable Slip Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Or perhaps something like this Islander 1971 Islander Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Or this Seafarer:
1979 Seafarer Sloop w/Oceanside Slip Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Or C&C 1984 C&C 29 MkII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

#23 ·
I'm really leaning towards the luders I like it. Jeff I am not concerned with speed I don't want a fin keel just personal preference and after mexico I am heading down hill. Taking a couple years to get there is not an issue I did the fast bit in the navy now I want to go slow. As far as the islander I would love a 1968 islander 30 the only hard liners I have are full keel or cutaway forefoot encapsulated. Standing headroom diesel inboard. The better condition the closer to 20k I can go but want 5 to make my upgrades with

#24 · (Edited)
Actually a Westsail 28 fits your bill perfect , long keel with semi cutaway forefoot encapsulated keel , 6' head room, a inboard diesel. Among other things you will need for long term cruising, like tankage and storage a decent sea berth a proper navigation station a cockpit that won't stay flooded , cruiser stuff like that . I talked to Herb David the Navel Architect that designed the W28 . One of the many things he told me was " I designed that boat for two people to sail around the world" . I just wasn't suggesting because of your budget . But now that sky is the limit.... And this one is on your way .
ROCK A BYE LINDA II - W28
PS that LOA number is wrong . It should read LOA 35' LOD 28 .
Some Westsail evolution details for anyone who cares, note the boomkin on Linda hull #69 then go to the bottom of the page and click on back to boats for sale , then click on Marina Fay hull # 14 . There is no boomkin on Marina , there is a hoop that the backstay connects to . Shortly after #14 some mods. were made , Taller mast ,boomkin . more ballast and a bigger rudder .

#27 ·
Currently I'm on an islander 24 bahama . :2 boat:[/QUOTE said:
I just purchased the same model, islander bahama 24, and also live in the Puget Sound, Tacoma area. I am brand new here and don't have email or PM privileges and would like to contact you about this boat. Would be happy to buy you a cup of joe if you have the time? I have to pass through Port Orchard to get to my mooring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.