Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006

Liverpoold is on a distinguished road
Heavenly twins or Oceanic 30 catamaran?

Hi All,
I could do with some advice about buying a catamaran. I am very much a begginning sailor, booked in to do RYA DAy skipper (theory and practical). Planning to buy a Cat (have mooring), initally to stay on weekends and eventually to liveaboard and cruise about (UK and Europe).
I have a three year old daughter (single Mum).
There are two boats I am thinking about for similar prices (about 15K) one is a heavenly twins (26ft) good condition, twin diesal engines, survey from 03. THe other is an Oceanic 30, Marine ply, also pretty good condition, twin diesal engines. Planning to get a survey done before purchase.
Any thoughts/Advice?
Thanks!
Selina
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Heavenly Twins is a very good boat, and fairly seaworthy. I know two owners of them, and they've always had good things to say about the boat. I haven't heard of the Oceanic 30.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-17-2006

MileHigh is on a distinguished road
Hello Selina,

The Oceanic 30 is the boat that Rosie Swale
sailed all over the world in with her husband
and two children, both under 3 years old.
The story of their journey is the book:

"Children of Cape Horn"
by Rosie Swale

I am currently studying for my Basic
Coastal Cruising Certificate from the ASA.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
Bill
Old 05-24-2007

gallic is on a distinguished road
Good and bad

Hi Selina,

Not sure if you've made your choice yet between the Heavenly Twins and the Oceanic.
I looked into buying an Oceanic years ago when I was buying my own cat but unfortunately, had to discount it then on price.The Oceanic is one of the all-time great cats, with built in safety and stability. It was designed by Bill O'Brian back in the 60s and he sailed his around the world without a hitch, as did Rosie Swale. You don't get much better recommendation than that.

Sadly, time is probably going to be the biggest problem with the Oceanic now as the very newest ones are likely to be around 25 years old. The HTs will only be a little newer now too.

The Heavenly Twins are great, stable cats, ideal for safe cruising but are a good bit smaller than the Oceanic for lie-aboard life. They've also achieved some really amazing voyages.

Both cats have larger versions - some Oceanics were built to 33' and maybe 36' too and the HTs were modernised as the Summer Twins at 27'.

Whichever you choose, get a full survey done and have the engine(s) checked thoroughly as any repair costs will mount up.

Best regards,
David
Old 12-10-2008

cat10m is on a distinguished road
hi Selina,Ive been living on board an Oceanic 30 for 18 years. I guess that makes my views on the boat prejudiced but qualified. The vessel is safe and solid, mine is GRP, I still have the original Volvo engines and the living space has to be experienced to be appreciated. The ply originals were built for the first 14 or 15 off and were superceded by glass, I have sail No 49 built in 1970 and have never regretted the purchase. Sailing can be slowısh to windward but an engine will push it through most weather with reefed main, stsl n yankee. I have most of Bill Obriens specs for the boat and can send by snail mail if it will help you make up your mind. Ken
Old 12-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cat10m-

Doubt it much matters, as Selina's post is over two years old and she hasn't been back since by the looks of it. Please check dates before replying to a DEAD THREAD.

Also, recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of sailnet. Welcome to the Asylum.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2009

charliemagen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat10m View Post
hi Selina,Ive been living on board an Oceanic 30 for 18 years. I guess that makes my views on the boat prejudiced but qualified. The vessel is safe and solid, mine is GRP, I still have the original Volvo engines and the living space has to be experienced to be appreciated. The ply originals were built for the first 14 or 15 off and were superceded by glass, I have sail No 49 built in 1970 and have never regretted the purchase. Sailing can be slowısh to windward but an engine will push it through most weather with reefed main, stsl n yankee. I have most of Bill Obriens specs for the boat and can send by snail mail if it will help you make up your mind. Ken
Hi Ken,
during my search for a family cat in the range of +/- 25000 EUR I found the Oceanic 30 Mk3 could fit our needs, but there are almost no informations on this boat available over here in Germany besides the book "Children of Cape Horn" - and the descriptions of two offers in the mediterranean area.
I do not want to appear obtrusive at all, but if you could send me the specs you offered above you would do me a greaeaeat favour and do a devine service to a sailing-a-cat-sick family
Would you send me pm? Then I could give you my address - of course I will give you back the expenses!
Tanks and kind regards from Hamburg, Charlie (P.S. Sorry, I wanted to send you a pm, but I'm not allowed yet, as I'm a greenhorn in this forum
Old 01-27-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
That was his only post and he hasn't been active since, good luck on your search for specs and welcome to sailnet.
Old 02-10-2010

charliemagen is on a distinguished road
@ djeeke: Sorry, I am still a newie and cannot reply your pm as I had less than 5 postings - so on this way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeke
Hello Charlie,

Have you been able to get a response from Ken (cat10m) regarding the specifications of the Oceanic ?

Have you found your boat yet ?

I am also trying to get information on the Oceanic as an Italian friend of mine refurbished one and is thinking of starting an Oceanic (or Bill O'Brien) owners club (interesting to exchange information and ideas on these boats) and obviously this documentation might come in handy...

Should you have queries about this boat (or another one for that matter) I can try to provide some answers...

Kind regards,
Djeeke.

Hi Djeeke,

what a surprise to recieve your mail after so long! - No, Ken has not answered and there was the information that was his only posting.
Meanwhile I have got some technical informations in the www but no contacts with owners besides of a kind man in Swizerland who sold his Oc. Mk3 in France, but he did not sail it once because of his health situation during refurbishing her.
Kind regards to your friend and best wishes for his project. If it runs please let me know!
I have not bought a boat yet because my family still has time space for decision - we will go to greece for a charter tour on a Catalac 9 next autumn, then the final decision will be made.
Thanks for your interest!

Kind regards, Charlie

P.S. If somebody knows people who own or have owned an Oceanic 30, I would be grateful for a contact! Thanks!!
Old 03-08-2010
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
If the Oceanic rings your bell, you should have a look at the Catalac 9M.

Catalacs were manufactured by Tom Lack who worked with O'Brien when he designed the Oceanic. Later Tony Smith (Performance Cruising) joined them, which is the reason Bobcats, Catalacs, Oceanics, and Geminis all have similar interior layouts.

I'm pretty sure that it's still accurate to say that these three men are responsible for the majority of all cruising catamarans now sailing.

Just a thought.

Last edited by TropicCat; 03-08-2010 at 04:02 AM.