Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2001

okooda is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

I am looking at purchasing a 1978 C&C 26 with an inboard diesel. Can anyone tell me some pros and cons of the C&C 26 and what should I be looking for.
I would prefer a C&C 27 however the 27 is a little out of my price range and difficult to find. I have been told I should try to find a C&C 27. Is it really that much difference?

Any information is appreceiated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

Since I don''t know where and how you will use your boat I can only comment based on coastal use. It''s the bigger the better in my opinion in this size range.

I don''t know what the price is but a Peason 30 could be had for $10K or even less. As long as you don''t pay too much it''s no big deal. Just think someone paid new prices for those (too small) boats once.

I really like C&C''s. The 27 has always looked better to me.

Buy a 30'' boat. Then you can stand up in it and not have to trade it in soon.
Old 09-05-2001

C&C 26

Thanks Mike - I agree - the longer the better. This particular C&C 26 is in the price range of 12,000US. I am in New Brunswick Canada and most of my sailing is in the Saint John River system. Great sailing area. There is a C&C 29 for sale - asking price is 28,000 cdn. Keep in mind our season is short. 3 to four months. I seem to be stuck on a C&C just because I know them. I am open to other suggestions though.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

Mike C.
Old 09-06-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

If you buy a 26'' boat and like sailing you will be selling it in a couple of years because it''s really too small for crusing.

I really like C&C''s I had a 30'' for 18 years! Now I have a C&C 35. This is also a keeper.

I priced boats in Canada when shopping for a boat bigger than the C&C 30. I noticed that all boats there were higher than boats here with currency adjusted. And C&C''s seemed even higher! I was really after a CS 36 at that time and found the boats located in Canada very high in price.

I am not saying to buy here in the USA. But you should check on prices here. If you find a boat you can have it trucked up there.

Unless you are 6''3" or taller you can find a 30'' boat you can stand up in. This is very important. Start there. My favorites are the Tartan 30, C&C 30 and the Pearson 30. These are the 70''s boats and go for $10K here. They have solid, not cored hulls and have lasted and lasted. There are other good boats too.

Don''t buy a 26'' boat. I did. Mine was a Cal 25. It was too small.
Old 09-08-2001

C&C 26

Thanks Mike - I appreciate the info. Your advice confirms eveything I am hearing so far. Everyone says hold out for a 27 at the very least. You are also correct on the pricing up here in Canada. I have noticed prices in the US are better even with the exchange. I have been searching the web for a few weeks now keeping my eye open for C&C''s Perhaps I will take a look at a Pearson and a Tartan.

Thanks again.
Mike.
Old 09-29-2001

spud is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

I own a 1977 C&C 26, it has more space above and below deck than the 27.
Old 11-06-2001

dianew is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

I bought a ''77 C&C 26 in June 1997. Have been very pleased with my purchase. I looked at several boats in the 27 - 30 ft. range Catalinas, Pearsons and Ericsons and several others. This 26'' boat had a lot of space - 6'' standing headroom and 10'' beam. Have heard good things about the C&C 27 and have read that the 26'' wasn''t popular in its time but after owning the 26'' I''m not sure why - may have just gotten a bad rap - I haven''t heard any solid negative reasons. Some people hear something negative and jump on the bandwagon without having any information of their own. I noticed for example, that no one who wrote to you actually owned a C&C 26''.I have run into a few other C&C 26 owners here in and around Boston and one guy who races his with other C&C''s. The boat has very good speed both upwind and downwind. I repowered from a Vire gasoline to a Yanmar diesel and am also very happy with that choice. Overall - it''s a very comfortable boat for its size - still looks great - has held up very well over the years. Whatever you decide - good luck!
Old 11-07-2001

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

Join C&C Owners email group and post question. You will get a lot of info. Email is cnc-owners@topica.com

From my knowledge:
26 was beamy and thus had room below. Has good initial stability due to beam but pays for this in upwind performance.
C&C27 came in 4 and maybe 5 models. Mk I & 2 were early 70''s and a bit shorter than Mk III & IV. The Mk I & 2 had more initial stability. Mk III & IV have more sail area and are fabulous in light wind but a bit "tender" in higher breezes.

I think the 26 and the 27 models are comperable in price. 27 was more popular which should tell you something.

C&C 27 Mk III goes from 18,500 (very good price to about 25,000 Canadian. Mk I & II seem to be 15000 - 20000.

have fun!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.