Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006

jdinafrica is on a distinguished road
Fraser 41 or Kelly Peterson 44

I am looking at buying a kelly Peterson 44. Nice boat but will need to replace fuel tanks. Would anyone know what kind of expense I would be looking at to do this. I am not much of a do it yourselfer but can assist. I know this will depend on many factors but a rough idea would be nice as I am also looking at a fraser 41 built by DeKleer brothers in Vancouver were it is ready to go as is. I am leaning towards the KP 44 but the fuel tank replacement might put the price over the top for me (I am stretching as it is). Any thoughts on the Fraser would also be appreciated. I have not been able to find much on the web.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends. Are the current tanks built-in fiberglass tanks, metal tanks that have corroded, or plastic tanks that are damaged??? Where are the tanks located, and what is the access to the area like??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-09-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I don;'t think anyone here can give you a reasoned estimate unless they had this job done on the same boat. I could tell you what it cost for a new tank for a CS 36T, but I don't help you if I imply that cost would be relevant to your question. I think you need to get a local yard manager to quote the job in writing. The double whatever he tells you and you are in the ballpark.

Where you are buying an older boat that needs fuel tanks replaced, you would be astoundlingly lucky if that boat doesn't need any other material work. $3-6,000 for a tank replacement on this type of boat is pocket change.. If it affects your comfort with the cost of the boat, run fast because the purchase price on older boats like these just a downpayment. Anything expensive equipment that the PO hasn't replaced or rebuilt on the boat, you are likely end up doing yourself so yourself...just sharing my personal experience.

ood luck.
Old 08-09-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The Peterson 44 is one of my favorite heavy weight serious offshore cruisers. The came with tanks in a number of materials, mostly black iron or stainless, although one fellow told me his were aluminum and another mentioned having monel tanks but was not sure that they were original. No idea on a reasonable price tag. The other thing to watch is whether the boat has teak decks or not, and their condition. That can be a real deal buster on an older boat like this.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2006
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
For what it's worth, we recently purchased a Fraser 41. I didn't know much about the boat either and had written it off our list at one time because of some miss-information on the hull material.

I got in touch directly with a Fraser 41 owner based out of New Zealand and learned enough about the boat to put it back on our list. We eventually bought the boat and we are very pleased with our choice. I've been working on a website to share some of the information I've learned about the boat.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resnxdf0/fraser41sloop/

Ray
S.V. Nikko