Great Scott! 2006

1971 23' Oday Pop Top
S/V Frida

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 03-21-2011

With my Venture 222, I would smoke an Oday 22 in the club. He never beat me, Poor guy just couldn't stand it. I also beat Stilleto 27 on occasion. corrected time

Last edited by Goblinfog; 03-21-2011 at 07:09 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-04-2012

Re: Venture 21 vs Oday - Opinions Please

I would like to dispel the myth about the poor quality of the Venture 21 sailboat. I have a 1966 MacGregor Venture 21 on a trailer for the last 15 years and have sailed it through most anything you get in on shore sailing. It takes chop, swell, heal, and high wind without issue. The quality of the boat is impecable. No blistering, no weakness, and superior strength in the bow keel region and cabin top. The boat is indistructable. I decided to teach myself how to sail on it and did so doing everything you can think of wrong. I've become a very confident sailor with this boat and love it more and more every time I sail it. I've worked on a 137 foot wooden tall ship the Bill of Rights out of Oxnard, and sailed the nicer mid sized Catalina 32 and 36's, Coronado 27's, Benetau 30's, and Hunter 36's. I love my boat so much that I'd rather sail my own boat than any of those. The only draw back is the time that it takes to set up the boat for sail. But with a trailer sailer you'll have to suffice that is what saves you the hundred dollars plus a month on slip fee's. I have done all the repairs on my boat myself and know the quality of the glass construction of my Venture intimately. It's a solid boat that will sail you where ever you want to go. You're on a small boat you'll get wet. If you don't want to get we don't go near the water. Have fun and make an educated choice but don't over look the Venture 21 of any year especially the older ones. They're tanks in construction and will take anything you can dish out!

Sincerely
Bluekimel
post #14 of 15 Old 03-18-2015

just ran across this old message but it's a continuing question: how good are macgregor products?

i own the 39th boat roger macgregor made, a venture 21. it's a light boat, 800 lbs with 400 lbs of lead ballast for a total of 1200 lbs. unlike some boats, it's entirely hand laid fiberglass. some of the heaver boats people brag about are made with chopper guns. yes, they are heavier but not stronger than a hand laid hull.

in an effort to keep the price down, macgregor didn't use expensive hardware. owners often upgrade some of their hardware. the V21 sails a bit wet but very well, pointing higher than most. her light weight makes her easily handled. her deep swing keel makes her, although initially tender, stable and shoal draft at the same time. she's fast and a beautiful sailor.

perhaps most of all, used ones can be had for low prices, good deals for a first boat.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-18-2015
A mod and her dragon

I started sailing on a Venture 22. It was a great boat to learn on. I had no structural issues. When we moved up we gave it away and as far as I know it's still sailing.

It's a good boat for how and where it was built to sail and beyond that, it depends on how it was maintained. I have no idea about the quality of the later boats.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.