Owner finance agreement template - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2015 Thread Starter

Owner finance agreement template

Does any one have a template for owner financing?
Some short but covering being 'interest insured', making sure the sailboat is lien properly, etc... Just a starting point for a agreement and terms. I have most the details but Some do this on a hand written paper and others have attorney write up the agreement, I think I am looking at something in the middle.

Patrick

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2015

Re: Owner finance agreement template

Patrick,

Whatever you do, don't do this without the advice of an attorney. The document you are talking about is a secured mortgage on movable property, plus a promissory note, plus lenders restrictions. It is not a simple document if you want it done correctly. Add in the maritime nature of the asset, and you really need professional advice, ideally from someone who is licensed in both your state and is familure with maritime law.

Sure you can do it on the back of an envelope, but if you want it to hold up in a court if it needs enforcing I wouldn't.

Greg

Last edited by Stumble; 08-09-2015 at 09:00 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-09-2015
Senior Moment Member

Listen to Stumble. Keep in mind that a boat is even more portable than a car. In order to enforce the loan in foreign countries it must be a registered (not simply licensed) vessel with a marine mortgage on it - not cocktail napkin stuff.

I would never carry financing on a boat I was selling - if the purchaser can't get financing they probably can't afford the boat. My wife & I worked for a major multinational bank for most of our careers and one thing we learned is that if they won't lend you the money, you probably can't afford it - their policies have been developed and tuned through decades of experience losing money to bad loans.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-09-2015

You also need to be expert in perfecting the lien and prepare to do tax reporting for the borrower, ie send them a 1099. Crazy to do this alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-10-2015 Thread Starter

I have read up on this and offering this as an option. I have talked with many people that have down this to a simple sheet of paper and said that would do it again but I have also seen it where people would hire a attorney and have a extensive document agreement, notarized, extensive restrictions, etc...

I guess I am more trusting than others.

Patrick

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2015
Senior Moment Member

I'd suggest you talk to people who did it themselves and had their boat disappear over the horizon before the first payment was due.

There are plenty of them out there.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2015

I sold a motorcycle to a friend's wife on installments, so she could buy it for her husband's birthday. I basically had her sign an IOU and I signed over the title without a lien for about half what the bike was worth. There wasn't even interest. It took her six more months to pay me than she said it would and I'm certain, if I didn't prod a bit, she would have never fully paid me. These are friends!

If you don't properly file liens and have enforceable contracts with a stranger, you could luck out or you would have to be comfortable that your faith in human nature is worth losing it all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.